View Full Version : P22 - great starter gun for youngsters

03-07-2011, 9:19 PM
My oldest son has been shooting for two years now and got interested in shooting handguns in addition to the Crickett that he started out with. He took his first shots with a Taurus 94 last summer, but the hammer spring is a bit on the stiff side for his small hands. We needed something different: I checked around and the Walther P22 had the smallest grip all around plus a very low weight - that all looked very promising.

I bought one, tried it and liked it. A fun little plinker with all controls in the right places so that one can run the same drills that I run with my 9mm Glocks (that was an aspect for me - not for my son :cool:)

Anyhow - my son fired the gun a couple of times last summer and it was OK but not as easy to place shots with than with his crickett - so he went back to his little bolt action.

Last Winter - things changed. He must have watched me very closely on one range trip, stepped up to the firing line, one mag in his hand the other in his belt, loaded the gun, did an overhand slide release, fired 5 quick pairs at two targets, executed a reload and fired another five pairs... :D

His birthday is coming up... time for a holster and a set of mag carriers.

Anyone considering to start a younger or small-handed shooter out with a handgun - I can highly recommend the P22!

03-07-2011, 9:21 PM
Great story! Have fun!

03-07-2011, 9:29 PM
I just put our next trip to the range on the calendar - which earned me a brought smile from him and the remark that the little P22 had to go into the rangebag for that day :cool::D

03-07-2011, 9:54 PM
I dont think its just good for kids to start out. Ive taken a few first time shooters out with it and they loved it, heck I love it :D

03-08-2011, 6:44 PM
I agree wholeheartedly... This is a fun little pistol!

03-08-2011, 6:47 PM
How fussy is the P22 on ammo? I got a Sig Mosquito which I like, but still am feeding it CCI minimags, which it works very reliably with. Been thinking about adding a P22 to the collection.

03-08-2011, 7:47 PM
On our P22, we fed it a steady diet of Wal-Mart's cheapest: Federal and Winchester bulk ammo and it did not give us any problems at all, same for a co-worker of mine who also has one.

However, a friend of mine mentioned that his was a bit finicky and that he had the best results with CCI Stingers. With those, his gun runs flawlessly.

The only malfunctions that we experienced happened fairly early on, when my son did not get fully behind the gun and limp-wristed during his first shots. We corrected the grip and ever since, this little pistol ate whatever ammo we fed it without any hickups...

03-08-2011, 7:50 PM
Yeah the P22 is a great gun for beginners. Both my girls & sisters loved shooting it the first time out. It's not super accurate but it's probably one of the most fun pistols I own.

Chris J
03-08-2011, 8:54 PM
I've had a P22 for several months and have about 5000 rounds through it with very few problems, shooting mostly CCI Blazers and Mini-mags. I think it is accurate enough for most shooters, and it is not just for beginners -- a 22 can provide a lot of cheap practice for anyone.

It is pretty complex internally, though, and needs reasonable maintenance to work well over the long haul. The best info on the P22 is over at Rimfirecentral; check out the Walther forum over there sometime.