View Full Version : Accidently Bought 2 3/4 #4 Buck, Is it Useful?

10-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey all,
I went in to a gun shop that is not too far from me. The dont usually have anything great and I usually end up leaving with nothing. Yesterday I felt bad, so I picked up to boxes of 2 3/4 00 Buck before I left (or so I thought). They for some reason had a box of #4 Buck in with the 00 Buck and I picked one of each up thinking they were just Federal 00 buck.

So Is the #4 Buck useful for anything? I was getting the shells to add to my home defense stash. It is Federal Powershock if that helps.

10-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Its a great hunting round.... I've heard that it will anchor a coyote better than 00.

10-11-2006, 12:13 PM
I use the #4 buck for defense loads.. you get 21 .25cal pellets coming out the tube.... that will put a world of hurt on a bad guy and you won't get over penetration.

10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
I use them for defense as well, my standard load is 4 or 5 rounds of #4 Buck in the mag tube, 3 rounds of 00 Buck towards the rear of a sidesaddle, 3 rounds of 1 1/2 ounce slug and an empty chamber.
That way I can just run up the scale of penetration as needed and none of those loads are 'too light'! ;)

10-11-2006, 12:37 PM
You can alway's test them out on a good sized pumpkin this time of year.:D

10-11-2006, 2:31 PM
I deliberately bought #4 Buckshot for my Vang Comp 870 as well. Supposedly for less penetration through walls. On the piece done, in the box of truth, looks like #4 buckshot penetrated 6 sheetrock boards vs 00 buckshot going through 8 boards.

It is internet truth :rolleyes: , so I guess the reader will have to take it for what it is worth.

10-11-2006, 2:40 PM
I bought a box of 2 pellet steel shot 3" magnum just for the cheap kick :D plus It can knock down a door.

M. Sage
10-11-2006, 4:50 PM
If you feel uncomfortable with #4 in home defense (I wouldn't; it kills Michigan white tail deer out of a 20 gauge, it should be fine for 2-legged animals out of a 12), you could always just burn it at the range for target practice.

10-11-2006, 5:18 PM
Well... I'm evil, and very comfortable with my shotgun and my home's layout, and have also trained my roommates in it's use... so mine is loaded with 1oz slugs and 00B alternated in the tube and the sidesaddle. That being said, that's overkill for most home defense situations, especially if you live in an apartment.

#4 buck in my experiences is a great defensive round, and much safer penetration wise (as well as more practical) that 00B or slugs. If you're not an evil SOB and just want to protect your home as opposed to go on the offensive if you sense an intruder, it would be a good option for your home gun.

10-11-2006, 8:15 PM
Great self-defense rounds. I read about a Navy SEAL in Vietnam who used one during his tours. He used an Ithaca Model 37 with a Duck-Bill Choke. He says he preferred the #4's for cutting down bad guys...

Im pretty sure they'll serve you well as Home Defense rounds;)

Cardinal Sin
10-13-2006, 2:07 AM
#4 Buck is a great round to have. Some PD's and SWAT/HRT units use it becuase it puts a lot of lead on target, has a dense pattern and will not over penetrate like 00 Buck does.

In my home I keep #1 Buck in the mag tube, 00 Buck in the side saddle and Slugs on the buttstock.

I have #4 Buck somewhere but I can only find it in 3 inch shells. If i could get it in 2 3/4 then I would keep it handy. You are well served with #4 Buck because if it can take a deer then it should be just fine for bad guy . . . not that he has much choice;)

10-13-2006, 2:36 AM
#4 BUCK SHOT is my home defense load too....Mostly to avoid over penetration of walls. My walls are plaster and lathe.....a whole lot stronger than sheet rock....but I still worry about them going through walls. I need to test that out somehow......