PDA

View Full Version : San Diego shooting area to be closed!

jnojr
10-11-2006, 8:55 AM
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 06:43:20 -0700

Dear Interested Party,

On October 11, 2006, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Palm
Springs-South Coast Field Office and the U.S.D.A. Forest Service,
Cleveland National Forest, Palomar Ranger District are jointly releasing environmental assessments (EAs) proposing to permanently close the High Point area to target shooting. The area is located east of Temecula, CA., along High point Road (8S05) and State Route 79.

Public comments on the EAs are due 30 calendar days from the date the
legal notice is published. The legal notice will be published on October 11, 2006 in the San Diego Union Tribune. Public comment must be received or postmarked by November 9, 2006.

The environmental assessments and accompanying information may be viewed at the BLM Palm Springs-South Coast Field Office website at
www.ca.blm.gov/palmsprings/ or contact Pete Gomben, Cleveland National
Forest (858) 674-2959.

Janaye Byergo
San Diego Project Manager - BLM
C/O Cleveland NF
10845 Rancho Bernardo Road, Ste. 200
San Diego, CA 92127
858-451-1767
FAX 858-676-9934
Janaye_Byergo@ca.blm.gov

Spawn_X
10-11-2006, 9:45 AM
Time to start calling again

luvtolean
10-11-2006, 9:58 AM
Here's a direct link to the environmental impact study.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/pdfs/palmsprings_pdfs/BLM-EA0618.pdf

It seems the issue is bullets are striking people's property and near misses to people themselves.

I don't know if this is neighbors complaining because they don't like guns, or if there really are bullets striking structures.

But if bullets are hitting structures, and people are nearly getting hit, it should be closed.

jnojr
10-11-2006, 9:59 AM
I think written letters are called for in this case. I'll bang something out, and I may email it, but I'll snail-mail it as well.

shooten
10-11-2006, 8:42 PM
You got it. Phone call and letters.

I just read the EIS too. The complaints of richochets go back 25 years. Before they outline that, they complain about trash leftover from target shooters. It seems like this is the primary reason for the closure. While this is something that we, the shooting community need to better address, it should not allow them to close access. The BLM is anti-shooting and anti-gun. Everything that they do should go under our microscope. I don't want to endanger anyone either but this smells a bit.