PDA

View Full Version : CMP recommendation

the_foxtrot
10-10-2006, 5:41 PM
hey guys,

i was browsing through the CMP site and i noticed that the garands that are available consist of field and rack grade. my question would be if it made more sense to buy of these beat up ones and clean it up, or just buy a receiver and barrel and whatnot from CMP and build one myself. how difficult is it to assemble? any major gun smithing required? i figure they will probably cost about the same after i would have to replace parts on the rack/field grade ones anyway.

any thoughts are much appreciated.

foxtrot

Rumpled
10-10-2006, 7:21 PM
I'd say get either. Field should be better than rack. Either one will be a servicable rifle, though not necessarily pretty or extremely accurate. Sometimes there are good surprises in these.
A bad stock could get you a very nice rifle once restocked.
By buying a complete rifle you would have all of the parts.
At worse, you might want to restock and rebarrel.

CMP seems to be running out fairly quickly of most things, get while the gettin's good.

EBWhite
10-10-2006, 7:43 PM
If you want a nice collectable garand buy the DATA book and get a service grade barreled receiver. Shop the shows, gb.com, garand sites, and ebay for matching correct garand parts. putting the gun together is fairly easy.
If you want a shooter, ask for the best condition bore possible and buy a cmp newly made stock and you will have an excellent gun!
Reno show got me a field grade (beat wood), wwII make with a brand new 1954 barrel. And by new i mean 1/2, 1/2 muzzle and throat wear.

ccampbell
10-11-2006, 8:15 AM
If you can wait until November, go to the Western Games at Camp Pendleton (Nov 4th) and pick one in person. I have bought an Field Grade and Service Grade through the mail, then I picked up a Field Grade in person at the Reno show with an incredible barrel. Worth the drive:D Although, I am happy with all I have gotten from the CMP. If you have to go through the mail, get the field grade.

Chris

ocabj
10-11-2006, 8:53 AM
Worst case: Get a rack grade rifle and a service grade barrelled receiver. Swap parts from rack rifle to service receiver. Get a new stock.

luvtolean
10-11-2006, 9:00 AM
If you can wait until November, go to the Western Games at Camp Pendleton (Nov 4th) and pick one in person. I have bought an Field Grade and Service Grade through the mail, then I picked up a Field Grade in person at the Reno show with an incredible barrel. Worth the drive:D Although, I am happy with all I have gotten from the CMP. If you have to go through the mail, get the field grade.

Chris

Do you have to already be on file with CMP to buy in person, or just have your club/proof of shooting paperwork with you?

ccampbell
10-12-2006, 1:36 PM
I think you can do it either way, but ask on the cmp forum for confirmation
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=27

Chris

Do you have to already be on file with CMP to buy in person, or just have your club/proof of shooting paperwork with you?

ocabj
10-12-2006, 1:41 PM

You don't have to bring anything with you to Camp Pendleton. All you do is tag a rifle you are going to buy with your name, address, and phone number. Then you mail in your paperwork with your payment and then they mail you the rifle.

luvtolean
10-12-2006, 1:50 PM
Thanks guys!

gamename
10-19-2006, 9:37 AM
Hi,

If you can go down to the CMP store, then I would get a field grade since you can pick it out yourself. You can borrow the muzzle and chamber gauges from the good folks there and inspect every gun they have. Then you pick out the best one(s).

OTOH, if you cannot go to the CMP store, then I'd build one from components.

$0.02