PDA

View Full Version : My Phoenix Arms HP22 frame cracked...

m1a1driver
03-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Ive had the gun for about a month now, I only shot the ammo the gun shop recommended, which was regular wally mart bulk federal .22lr. I put about 2,000 rounds through it and today noticed a crack behind the safety on the frame, extending down into the magwell. I didnt even use any hyper velocity ammo, just regular bulk federal....Good thing they have a lifetime warranty!

XDRoX
03-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I can't believe Federal had enough powder to crack anything. It barely cycles most of my guns.

m1a1driver
03-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Yea i'm pretty PO'd. I just got this gun back 2 weeks ago after the firing pin safety lever froze in the "ON" position. Now this happens... Why the heck is the frame paper thin in the area around the magwell??

Mssr. Eleganté
03-06-2011, 11:08 PM
I guess I should have been more clear in this thread...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=390344

Federal bulk packs are high velocity. You need to stick with standard velocity.

jackandblood
03-06-2011, 11:13 PM
CA DOJ list is fail. pics of the crack?

m1a1driver
03-07-2011, 12:29 AM
I thought so too, I went back and asked the gunshop about the proper ammo and they specifically said "federal bulk .22" is just fine.

m1a1driver
03-07-2011, 12:36 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/53070/5505701418_684e06e5f1_b.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/50720/5505702188_b2c1e75cbe_b.jpg

Mssr. Eleganté
03-07-2011, 12:49 AM
I thought so too, I went back and asked the gunshop about the proper ammo and they specifically said "federal bulk .22" is just fine.

That's strange that a gunshop gave you advice that contradicted the advice you got on Calguns. :p Hopefully the manufacturer will honor their "lifetime" warranty. From the reports of other HP22 owners it looks like Phoenix Arms will fix the gun twice per "lifetime".

m1a1driver
03-07-2011, 12:53 AM
I shouldnt have listened to the gunshops advice, one guy there even told me that CCI stingers were ok to use in it!! Looks like when I get the replacement It will be fed a steady diet of CCI standard vel.

jackandblood
03-07-2011, 12:58 AM
eeessh. $100 gas powered airsoft guns look more robust. Ya good thing abot the warranty. I think their facility is in ontario. Bout a 40 min to 1 hr drive east bound hopefully if you can go during before afternoon, avoid traffic. WOuld be funny, just dump the thing dissembled on the receptionist's desk. Say "you know the drill...". And you were shooting subsonic ammo as well. *nudge*

Quickdraw Mcgraw
03-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Man...my phoenix has been great to me...best $120 gun I own! Actually the only $120 gun I own...lifetime warrenty was wat sold it to me.

Any reccomendations on ammo these guys like?? Anything cheep>? I like those big 300-550 packs...any of em standard velocity that group nice?? By group I mean hit can more often!!

RickyB
03-07-2011, 11:58 AM
CA DOJ list is fail.

Maybe by design? 'Cuz lawd knows most of the polis would love nothing more than to see all the roster guns self destruct, rendering them useless?.....:D

Quickdraw Mcgraw
03-07-2011, 1:49 PM
Standard Vel bulk pack at Wally world?? Anyone??

speeedracerr
03-07-2011, 2:30 PM
Ive had the gun for about a month now, I only shot the ammo the gun shop recommended, which was regular wally mart bulk federal .22lr. I put about 2,000 rounds through it and today noticed a crack behind the safety on the frame, extending down into the magwell. I didnt even use any hyper velocity ammo, just regular bulk federal....Good thing they have a lifetime warranty!

I have the same hairline crack behind the safety as well and actually took it out shooting last night with no issues.

Being it is .22, i wasn't too worried as long as it still functions properly. But... If it does get worst, I will have to make a trip down to Ontario, CA to have it serviced/replaced.

uxo2
03-07-2011, 2:34 PM
Mine did that...they sent it back saying it was normal?
Did not replace the frame.

I sold it

Izzy43
03-07-2011, 5:08 PM
Mine did that...they sent it back saying it was normal?
Did not replace the frame.

I sold it

You must be kidding? Hard to believe that a firearms company would take that stance. Were that my weapon I would be contacting Ca Consumer Affairs witha big time complaint. Cracked frames in firearms are a definate safety issue.

Sounds like the pistol is a piece of junk.

RickyB
03-07-2011, 6:59 PM
You must be kidding? Hard to believe that a firearms company would take that stance. Were that my weapon I would be contacting Ca Consumer Affairs witha big time complaint. Cracked frames in firearms are a definate safety issue.

I did some research on these and actually ordered the Deluxe Range Master kit for my girls to plink with and get used to firearms. Lot of good reviews but also a lot of bad ones. But I went and ordered from Woodbury's anyways. Less than $190.00 shipped. Three days later they told me that their dizzy was out of stock and it would take an unknown amount of time to get. I chewed on it for three more days and then cancelled the order and bought the Rough Rider RR22BM6AS instead. I think that was a better career move on my part in my quest to get the gals interested in shooting.....

uxo2
03-07-2011, 7:39 PM

Man I wish I had that invoice.....

They said it was normal......

But you get what you pay for.
Zinc Die cast is bad for guns.

Mssr. Eleganté
03-07-2011, 9:24 PM
...I like those big 300-550 packs...any of em standard velocity that group nice??

I've never seen bulk pack .22LR from any manufacturer that was standard velocity.

Homebrew2
03-08-2011, 5:34 PM
... crack behind the safety on the frame ...

So, you mean right behind the safety towards the top grip screw hole?

Any functional problems?

hefedehefe
03-08-2011, 5:37 PM
I shoot that ammo and amy other ammo through mine and it works flawless untill 2-3k rounds through it and it needs to be cleaned. Maybe got a lemon. Good luck

andy75
03-11-2011, 4:31 PM
I got my about 13 years ago, I got a crack slide at the time I did not know you could not shoot HV ammo, I fired 50 rounds of cci stingers. I shipped the gun back and they repair it. and It still works fine today. Nice little plinker for the money.

Bigdaa
03-12-2011, 6:35 AM
You bought a POS?
Apparently and that's a bummer for you.

I picked up a Marlin Camp 9 some many years ago. Amazingly enough, even after all the glowing reports of how handy this little guy was, I found a crack in the plastic trigger group, much the same as you. It didn't impact funtionality, but what the heck! None of us like cracked gun parts!!!

Maplewood
03-16-2011, 2:35 PM
I had a Phoenix Hp22 and it also cracked right at the upper mag well area that is paper thin, I called and talked to a guy at Phoenix and sent the gun to them and got another sent to Gun World in Burbank and had to wait another 10 days to get the replacement. I was shooting mini mags and everything else I could find and never read the part that mentioned standard velocity .22lr, which as you all know is usually never on the shelf anywhere. High Velocity is the standard now-a-days and if I had know that it was only for standard velocity I would have never bought it...........but it was sure a fun gun to shoot, ended up trading it for a NAA Mini 22LR which I just got the oversized palm swell grip for today!

Homebrew2
03-16-2011, 3:22 PM

Armscor @ Grafs (http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/249)

hefedehefe
05-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Oh man. Look what happend today. Looks like it's time to see if this warranty works.:cheers2:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa44/smoothinoc/IMG_20110518_220600.jpg

I got my fingers crossed that it will be quick and painless. I am still waiting on my 2nd that I ordered last month in the nickle too. I am already stating to miss this little guy

BayAreaShooter
05-18-2011, 10:52 PM
I have heard that cracking in the frame of those little guys is commonly occurring.

CHS
05-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Phoenix Arms? I hope you're not actually surprised by this.

hefedehefe
05-18-2011, 11:13 PM
I wish they were poly and metal. It's the perfect size .22 imo

speeedracerr
05-19-2011, 2:02 AM
Yep... I had that same hair line crack for a year now and it still shoots flawless. I do believe this is a common occurrence among the HP22.

My friend also has the same crack behind the safety. I do monitor the crack after every time shooting and haven't noticed the problem getting worse. I wonder if Phoenix Arms really believe this is normal?

tonelar
05-19-2011, 2:42 AM
At least they fix em for free. Im kinda envious, my mouse gun only shoots .22 Short.

krag98
05-19-2011, 10:15 PM
I have an HP22 and I've put around 650 rounds thru it so far, some Federal Value Pack and some standard velocity, with no signs of cracking. I'm watching it pretty closely. Maybe they don't want to spend the money to improve their product, maybe make the frame out of polymer, like Kel-Tec or Ruger, as long as sales are within an acceptable range and not that many people are asking for warranty frame replacements. So far it's been a neat little fun gun for me, and fairly accurate for a 3" barreled pistol. There's lots of great info about this pistol and lots of other small guns on Mouseguns.com, a very good website.

m1a1driver
05-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Mine had 2 big cracks on either side of the magwell, however it still fired fine. Warranty replacement was alright, but you have to go through an FFL to get your new pistol, but phoenix sends your FFL dealer a check for their transfer\dros fee, and they send them 2 free magazines for THEIR trouble... ( luckily my dealer didnt pay attention to the sticker on them and gave them to me :) )