PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Safe Gallery

ArmedDefense
03-06-2011, 9:10 PM
Looking into buying a rifle safe. I'd like to see some setups to decide how mcuh room I really need. Need room for at least 4 rifles, plenty of ammo, 3 handguns, and some gear.

Post your rifle safe setups! :chris:

fong0067
03-06-2011, 9:38 PM
...and you will need some room to grow:D

johnthomas
03-06-2011, 9:58 PM
Once in a while I come across something on craigslist.com.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/spo/2248034415.html
This one is in SF.

zoglog
03-07-2011, 12:04 AM
crime is up? lol not true.....

ArmedDefense
03-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Once in a while I come across something on craigslist.com.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/spo/2248034415.html
This one is in SF.

Costco actually is going to have a sale on a safe similar to that one. Its a Sentry as well, holds 10 rifles, fire resistant for 20 minutes. $399

I know i will need room to grow in the future. And want to make sure I have enough room for other support items.

WWDHD?
03-07-2011, 2:03 PM
That safe on craigslist seems a bit over priced.
The Sentry at costco is a bit on the small side too but then its less $$$ and also includes free shipping. Either one of these could probably be picked up with a good hand truck and moved into your house with a helper or two.
Everbody always says "Buy Big" when it comes to safes. I don't always think thats true for everybody. If you only have a small space for a safe (like a closet) or rent or have a lot of stairs, nothing wrong with a safe of a manageable size and price. Better than nothing. Still keeps kids/nossy roommates and smash&grabs out. Latter on if you have more room and money for a bigger safe you can always sell it or use it for storing ammo and put the guns in the new bigger/better safe. Thats what I did.
When I bought my Sturdy 32x24 safe I had two friends asking if I wanted to sell my old gun locker that I was using before so selling it would not have been a big problem if I had to.

ArmedDefense
03-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Now that I found my thread again...

What other advice do you guys have as far as specs, size, features?

WWDHD?
03-10-2011, 1:13 AM
Hard to say. All you've told us is the current size of your collection. What price range, general part of your home the safe will be located, future storage needs, stuff like that. Do you care about fire protection or just theft? Own or rent your place? Lots of details go into picking the right safe.

lewdogg21
03-10-2011, 7:17 AM
Big, like bigger than you think you will need. I have one that is like 60"x24x36 and it's already nearly filled.

ArmedDefense
03-10-2011, 8:49 AM
Hard to say. All you've told us is the current size of your collection. What price range, general part of your home the safe will be located, future storage needs, stuff like that. Do you care about fire protection or just theft? Own or rent your place? Lots of details go into picking the right safe.

I plan to have, at most, 6 rifles and 12 handguns. I own my home and it will be in the corner of my garage. I'm in the city not to far from the FD. So from no fire rating to 30 minutes.

ArmedDefense
03-10-2011, 8:50 AM
Big, like bigger than you think you will need. I have one that is like 60"x24x36 and it's already nearly filled.

That's about the size I was looking at. One that size usually holds around 10, or so they say?

WWDHD?
03-10-2011, 1:34 PM
You still didn't say what your budget is, but if your in the $1k to $2k range and your want lots of security and not so interested in fire, you should look at Strudy safes. They offer an optional fire liner but it adds a lot to the cost. 7ga steel is standard and 5ga is available on some sizes.
if your under $1k then look at the BigHorn sold through Costco. Sometimes goes on sale with free shipping. I've read some good reviews on it. Made of 10ga and has some fire lining.
I bought the 32x24x60 Sturdy a few months ago and its more than big enough for me now and in the near future. I keep my ammo cache in my old safe.
Many people say (and I agree) that the garage is not always a good place to store your gunsafe unless its well hidden from view from the street. The garage is the easiest part of the house to break into (usually).

ArmedDefense
03-11-2011, 8:58 AM
You still didn't say what your budget is, but if your in the $1k to $2k range and your want lots of security and not so interested in fire, you should look at Strudy safes. They offer an optional fire liner but it adds a lot to the cost. 7ga steel is standard and 5ga is available on some sizes.
if your under $1k then look at the BigHorn sold through Costco. Sometimes goes on sale with free shipping. I've read some good reviews on it. Made of 10ga and has some fire lining.
I bought the 32x24x60 Sturdy a few months ago and its more than big enough for me now and in the near future. I keep my ammo cache in my old safe.
Many people say (and I agree) that the garage is not always a good place to store your gunsafe unless its well hidden from view from the street. The garage is the easiest part of the house to break into (usually).

Yes, under 1k for now. I know this safe may become ammo storage in future. I think the Sturdy safe definitely lives up to its name. What does that safe weigh? The only thing is that in the garage I can build anchors into the floor easily. What other locations are common?

WWDHD?
03-12-2011, 12:52 AM
I think my 32x24x60 none-fire lined Sturdy weighs about 650-700lbs. The stats are on www.sturdysafe.com. Look it up, lots of cool stuff there. I just ran a couple of lag screws into the wood floor. They can easily be filled in latter if/when I move. The main thing is to make it hard to flip a safe on to its face and attack it from the back, its most vulnerable side usually.
Closets are good for keeping a gun safe out of sight, if they fit. I've read that placing a safe near an outside wall and away from kitchens and laundry rooms will increase your odds of avoiding damage in case of a fire. Another reason garages are a bad idea is because that where all your sledge hammers, axes, prybars, chisels, power tools and other stuff to go all medevil on your safe are stored there!
The Liberty Centurion line is a decent under $1K safe. Out of the four sizes, the two largest are US made. I've even seen them sold at Lowe's hardware well under $1K. Look up Liberty safes, good website. Decent all around theft/fire protection.

socalsteve
03-24-2011, 2:47 PM
The good thing about storing your safe in the garage is the thieves don't need to move it and the tools they need to break into it are already in the garage.:D

I like the Sturdy Safe brand for the money they are pretty good.

I think the firepoofing material might also help to clog up a saw in case someone tried to cut through the sides or top.

Sometimes good deals can be found on used safes at a Safe store.