PDA

View Full Version : .22 Marlin rifle scopes?.....

RickyB
03-06-2011, 10:17 AM
All right Kidz, I'm a total noob on this subject. Really, even after reading a hundred-plus fricken pages on optics all over the 'net I still feel like Stevie Wonder searching for the light switch. So here's what I'd like to know----what would be the best scope choices (new or used, & under $70.00 each?) for 'plinking/paper punching' on our new 795 and the 925RM? And which mounting system for each one? The one for the 22 mag needs to be good for up to say 125/150 yards, and for the 22 lr., out to around a hundred yards or so.

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated........

Gracias,

Ricky

pennys dad
03-06-2011, 11:44 AM
i have used the basic tip off mounts for my Marlins and I have had issue with the mount wiggling loose.
So I suggest this mount: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_Accushot_1_Pc_Mount_w_1_Rings_3_8_Dovetail/805

Its cheap and the strongest I have found. I use them on my Marlins.

I use
BSA: http://www.opticsplanet.net/bsa-air-riflescope-2-7x32mm.html
Simmons: http://www.opticsplanet.net/simmons-4x32mm-prohunter-handgun-scope.html
Bushnell Banners
Tasco and
for $140 - Redfields

RickyB
03-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Wowch, the Pyramid mounts are only $15.00 each? That seems very inexpensive to me but the 50+ reviews are almost all 5 stars. Perfect. Off the top of your head will they also fit the 925RM? Does Marlin use the same dovetail grooves on all their centerfire rifles?....

(edit----'cuz one guy said it may not work well with bolt actions. To low?)

orangeusa
03-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Wowch, the Pyramid mounts are only $15.00 each? That seems very inexpensive to me but the 50+ reviews are almost all 5 stars. Perfect. Off the top of your head will they also fit the 925RM? Does Marlin use the same dovetail grooves on all their centerfire rifles?....

(edit----'cuz one guy said it may not work well with bolt actions. To low?)

The Marlin and most other entry 22LR's use a 3/8" dovetail, not the Weaver mount.

Surprisingly Airsoft mounts are the same and are quite inexpensive and sturdy. I think Pyramid is airsoft, but don't let it detract you. I bought some Leopold (branded) rings at Walmart which were crap.

The tip when buyig a scope or ring is to look for either 3/8" or 22LR marked on the box. I know it's confusing, cause I went through the same thing you are going through. I ended up getting a Barska for cheap on Amazon and it works just fine. Simmons has some fixed scopes which are quite good (from reviews).. rimfirecentral has like 200 pages on this stuff. Good luck! ha

gratefuldog
03-06-2011, 1:37 PM
I put a cheap ($30 from Midway) Barska scope on my 795. It started walking off right away, so I did a bit of file work to the rings (verysoft aluminum,) and re-installed it w/ blue Loctite. It hasn't moved since, but I usually have to adjust it a few clicks each range trip.

GUNNTZ
03-06-2011, 2:23 PM
Put a bushnell setup on a buddies marlin, came with rings/scope and has worked flawlessly. Also, got the 22mag scope kit from simmons for my brother and again a very good scope setup for the price. Just tighten down the mounts really good and put the scope mount edges in the meat of the dovetail groves.

tba02
03-06-2011, 3:07 PM
Tasco Golden Antler (http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-tasco-3-9x44-titan.html)

Furncliff
03-06-2011, 4:34 PM
Center Point Scopes. You can find them at Walmart, and take them back if you don't like them. There are two at under $70 a 6-14 and a 3-9. They come complete with mounts that work well. Nice turrets, lighted reticle (and a battery is included) a lens cleaning cloth along with a lifetime warrantee. The 6-14 even has an adjustable objective. I have three, two are on Marlin 60's, one just came of a Marlin 1894c that I was testing reloads in (.357 mag). For the price they work well. Not the worlds best glass, but a lot of bang for the buck.

Rigma
03-06-2011, 7:45 PM
I picked up a 4x32mm 22 Mag Rimfire Riflescope for around $40.

Not high-end, not bottom of the barrel, just perfect for a 795 bought on sale!

MaHoTex
03-06-2011, 7:50 PM
Center Point Scopes. You can find them at Walmart, and take them back if you don't like them. There are two at under $70 a 6-14 and a 3-9. They come complete with mounts that work well. Nice turrets, lighted reticle (and a battery is included) a lens cleaning cloth along with a lifetime warrantee. The 6-14 even has an adjustable objective. I have three, two are on Marlin 60's, one just came of a Marlin 1894c that I was testing reloads in (.357 mag). For the price they work well. Not the worlds best glass, but a lot of bang for the buck.

^^ This ^^

I have both scopes you mention and like them both. I like the 3-9 better though. :)

Izzy43
03-07-2011, 6:29 AM
The first scope I put on my 925M was the 4-16 Centerpoint from Walmart. A decent scope for the money and as stated by another if you don't like it you can easily return it (within 90 days I think). The lighted reticle quit working after a few months but I found it was not very useful anyway.

Walmart also carries a Bushnell 3-9 Rimfire scope that is pretty nice for around $50, very clear glass and a nice little scope.

You might also take a look at "Tech Sights". Many Marlin 60/795 and Ruger 10/22 folks seem to like those style of sights. They are peep sights and would give you a different experience than a scope. While a little more challenging that shooting with a scope, peeps can be very accurate out to 75 yds and beyond. With some practice you can get very good with those types of sights. I have six .22s and four of them wear peep sights of one type or another. Gets boring shooting with a scope all the time and it broadens your shooting skills.

shy 7th
03-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Both of my Marlins (795 and 981T) have issues with 3/8" mounts/rings. They don't look like they fit correctly and unless torqued a lot will creep forward and back. Using my calipers, I measured the the grooves on both of my rifles at 11.41mm. Give or take a couple hundredths because I was being hasty.

If my scope mount grooves really were 3/8" the calipers should have read in th 9.5mm range. I really think that the Marlin grooves are meant for 11mm mounts.

I have a set of cheap-*** 11mm rings and well as an 11mm-to-weaver conversion mount coming in the mail. I'll let you know how they work out.

RickyB
03-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Both of my Marlins (795 and 981T) have issues with 3/8" mounts/rings. They don't look like they fit correctly and unless torqued a lot will creep forward and back. Using my calipers, I measured the the grooves on both of my rifles at 11.41mm. Give or take a couple hundredths because I was being hasty.

If my scope mount grooves really were 3/8" the calipers should have read in th 9.5mm range. I really think that the Marlin grooves are meant for 11mm mounts.

I have a set of cheap-*** 11mm rings and well as an 11mm-to-weaver conversion mount coming in the mail. I'll let you know how they work out.

Off the top of my head your math sounds correct----and 2 mils difference is huge. So please let us know how the conversion kit works.....

azlester
03-07-2011, 1:35 PM
I just got the Simmons 3-9x32 AO scope for my 795. Good clear glass and the rings that come with the scope grab the rail very well. AO is adjustable down to 10 yds. The only problem I have is that the newer versions have tall target turrets. The windage turret gets in the way of the charging handle. But for a $50 good scope I just rotated the scope so that the windage turret is now the elevation and the elevation is now the windage on the left side. Looks kind of silly but works like a champ. Natchez has them on sale for $49.99

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN511072

DirtyDave
03-07-2011, 4:46 PM
I put the BSA Red-dot on my 795. Works great under 100yds on ground squirrels.
http://www.cabelas.com/red-dots-lasers-bsa-22-red-dot-riflescope-1.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=752253&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=D2999052-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

shy 7th
03-08-2011, 7:43 PM
This is the measurement on my Marlin 981T (my 795 reads almost exactly the same). Being as exact as possible measuring from the skinniest point on the dovetail (bottom of the groove), I measure 10.45mm give or take a couple thousandths. Not shown is the measurement of the top of the grooves which was about 11.5 (mentioned in my previous post).
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89066&stc=1&d=1299643127

My cheap BSA "11mm" rings came in the mail today and to my dissapointment I find out they are 3/8". Calipers read 9.05mm. It was my stupid fault for not doing my homework and blindly trusting the amazon.com description. Looking at the BSA website they are clearly listed as 3/8". As you can see, they leave a pretty big gap when mounted on my marlin:
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89069&stc=1&d=1299645589

Well, I'm not about to shell out the big bucks on the real CZ 11mm scope rings from Midway for these cheap-o plinkers so I took gratefuldog's advise and started filing. About a half-hour later I have the rings fitting perfectly and filed at a sharper angle with just enough gap to ensure that 100% contact is with the rifle.
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89068&stc=1&d=1299643127

Unfortunately, upon trying to put the scope in the rings, I quickly discovered (and remembered) that I have a 30mm scope body... not 1".

Doh.

gratefuldog
03-08-2011, 8:22 PM
Unfortunately, upon trying to put the scope in the rings, I quickly discovered (and remembered) that I have a 30mm scope body... not 1".

Ouch!