PDA

View Full Version : Savager bolt wont fully close

shakeyjake
03-06-2011, 9:33 AM
After I installed my scope on 12fv .223.I noticed that the bolt handle would not fully seat down. When I got it in place it is very hard to open and whenever I work the bolt the saftey disengages and can not be engaged. I have gone over the booklet front and shearched the web with no luck. Im getting kinda frustrated because I just got it and I'm tyring to put together a nice critter getter and now I cant even fire it.Well the hammer dorps when the trigger is pulled but things dont seem cool enough for a live fire.My wife says its something really simple that Im over looking and to relax.Please dont let her be right and let it be simple but something I did NOT overlook:o. All intput welcomed.Thanks88616

CSACANNONEER
03-06-2011, 9:40 AM
Without seeing it, I'm going to go out on a limb and take a WAG at it. I'm thinking that you istalled a scope base or bases, installed the rings and then installed the scope. Right? This is the proper way to do it but, I'm betting that one or more of the screws to hold the bas e down are just a hair to long. That could make your bolt hit the screw(s) inside the action thus causing the resistance which is not allowing you to close the action.

shakeyjake
03-06-2011, 9:48 AM
I'll post pics as soon as the camera gets a charge and you my be right this is only the second scope I've mounted so "I" might be the faulty equipment.

brianinca
03-06-2011, 10:17 AM
CSACANNONEER is right on the money, it's common on Savage center fire rifles for the front mount or front screws of a one-piece rail to have the back screw impinge on the bolt head.

Of the two screws for the front mount, you'll need a shorter screw for the hole closest to the magazine well. I'm not sure why mfg's of mounts don't get this right, but they commonly don't.

I used screws from a Pachmayr box'o'screws for all 3 of my Savages, you might hit up your local gun shop for a screw the right length.

Regards,
Brian in CA

shakeyjake
03-06-2011, 11:31 AM
In my excitement to get get this thing put together I didnt notice that the screws were different lengths so anyone knowe how to clean locktite off the threads so I can get a clean install.dont u hate when your wife is right. I'll post pics after its done right:banghead:

CSACANNONEER
03-06-2011, 12:04 PM
In my excitement to get get this thing put together I didnt notice that the screws were different lengths so anyone knowe how to clean locktite off the threads so I can get a clean install.dont u hate when your wife is right. I'll post pics after its done right:banghead:

Hey! I was right! I'm not your wife and hopefully (for all of us) I don't look anything like her. But, go ahead and post pictures of her as soon as you finish your scope install.

Try a small brass wire brush for removing old locktite.