View Full Version : Couldnt believe it, but its true.(for mine)

03-06-2011, 7:47 AM
My rimfire pistols tend to shoot better dirty. Not negligent dirty, but maybe somewhere in between 50 rds to 200 rds. Who knows, maybe even better past 200 rds, but at that point I cant not clean it.

I first noticed this phenomenon when I took my squeaky clean rough rider and she shot so poorly as to be off paper at 20 ft. As I passed ~25 rds of FMJ .22 mag, Saffron started to shoot much better. By the time I finished off a box of the cheapest 22 mag FMJ i could find, she was shooting where my sights pointed, the right idea. The next outing I used the 22lr cylinder and she shot where I pointed. I had not cleaned her between outings.

Oddly my rifle 22s, the m4 rimfire and 10/22 dont seem to care if clean or not. The 10/22 acquired during Turner's all things Ruger sale, I treated to a quick bore snake in case of residual metal particles ( I read somewhere stainless barrels may have mfg. residuals) and it shot basically like a laser with the iron sights attached directly to the barrel. brand new. same deal with the m4.

My running hypothesis is the rough rider benefited immensely from running FMJ rounds through it and getting some copper residual in the barrel.

The longer barrels dont benefit from being slightly dirty. But they dont suffer much either.

So for the OCD peeps like me :D, you may get better results not cleaning after every range session. But maybe every 300 rds or something. And maybe just one barrel brush pass and one barrel cloth snake pass. Leave some of that copper goodness behind. :D

Disclaimer: My observations only, not universally applicable, this only holds true for my particular guns.

03-06-2011, 7:54 AM
Every barrel is unique and it's up to the shooter to learn that barrel's preferences. Some like to be cleaned every shot and some shoot more precise after they are fouled. I'm luck in that both my precision 50s are capable of producing <.5moa groups after not being cleaned for over 100 rounds. But, I know some people sho clean their 50s every 5-10 rounds. The same holds true for any caliber. I know competitve shooters who would go a 6 months to a year before cleaning their precision .22lrs.

03-06-2011, 8:40 AM
This may or may not confirm your theory: I just bought a Walther P22 used, a gun that has a mixed reputation in that some are 100% reliable and some that for what ever reason are not. The previous owner said it did not like Federal bulk ammo from Walmart. Well, I have several cases of that and that is what I brought to shoot. The gun was also dirty. I fired a couple hundred rounds at the range and it functioned flawlessly (and accurately)! The "gunk" that accumulates looks to be the wax coating on the bullets which could easily be providing lubrication. My guess is that the problems start when that "gunk" starts attracting dirt and parts begin to bind.
While talking about reliable functioning, it is my opinion that many of the complaints about reliability with .22 auto pistols is doe more to the shooter than anything else. Many shooters find that changing their grip, primarily not limp-wristing, will eliminate FTF's FTE's and jams.

03-06-2011, 8:52 AM
A single action revolver doesn't FTE (or FTF as far as my experience). I can imagine people limp wristing a semi 22lr. After they feel there's not much recoil to speak of, maybe they forget everything about posture and shoot the thing in a casual stance, like an airsoft pistol or something. Germaine from top shot had like textbook posture, muzzle discipline, and a cool and calm attitude. Sad to see him eliminated.

03-06-2011, 1:45 PM
While talking about reliable functioning, it is my opinion that many of the complaints about reliability with .22 auto pistols.....

My comment was intended to explain how other factors are often the cause of malfunctions, and in my statement I was careful to specify it applied to "auto pistols" or to be accurate, semi automatic. Hopefully we're all clear now.

UFO hunter
03-06-2011, 2:29 PM
interesting... maybe the dirt is filling up loose gaps

03-06-2011, 2:52 PM
Some girls like it dirty, opps I mean guns...funny how some guns like to run at different stages. Great that you figured it out...

03-06-2011, 5:01 PM
i was watching a show on 22 lr ammo and they said that 22 ammo is self lubricating thats why its so dirty