PDA

View Full Version : Elk near fremont

the_lynch_family
10-09-2006, 2:30 PM
I went driving this last weekend behind fremont/milpitas up in the foot hills. I seen a ******** load of elk again. These things were huge. I think the road is calavaris off of 680. The exit before highway 84 going north bound, by the nursery. How can you go about finding out if you can hunt around there. I would think it would be to close to the city. This is the second time I have seen them out there. The last time there was a guy that was pulled over and had his spotting scope on his hood and elk caller. He could have just been practicing? Damm, I sure wish I knew someone who was a hunter who could show me the ropes.

wildcard
10-09-2006, 3:29 PM
You're going to need an Elk Tag for the cost of $318.50!
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/huntdescrip.html

I suggest you start accumulating some preference points!

the_lynch_family
10-09-2006, 3:39 PM
Thanks for the info. Not sure what you mean " preference points ".
I actually would like to start out with deer hunting. I think that would be a good start for a rookie like myself,,lol

You're going to need an Elk Tag for the cost of $318.50!
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/huntdescrip.html

I suggest you start accumulating some preference points!

RJ Dunn
10-09-2006, 3:42 PM
After that fee you'll have pay a ranch owner a trespass fee to hunt on their property. I've heard of people charging $3000 to hunt elk on their property.Or you could try and get a tag for a herd on public land. And the chance of you getting a tag in the lotto style drawing is like winning the calif lotto.

luvtolean
10-09-2006, 3:50 PM
I lived up in that area for a while and I was constantly dodging wildlife in my truck. Also a constant battle keeping coons out of my trash...

I almost plowed a deer that jumped out in front of me on a trail mt biking too.

It's pretty cool that so close to the Bay Area there is a place still so wild, but the commute into the Silicon Valley from up there is terrible.

Most of that land is privately owned cattle land, and not public. Hunting up there can get you in trouble quick. Hiking and biking all over in that area, I never once heard people shooting.

wildcard
10-09-2006, 4:09 PM
Thanks for the info. Not sure what you mean " preference points ".
I actually would like to start out with deer hunting. I think that would be a good start for a rookie like myself,,lol

Preference points will increase you chances of being drawn for a tag. You can earn one a year for a max of 4 points. I suggest going to the Department of Fish and Game website and doing some research and/ or picking up the Big Game booklet from your local Turners, Big 5, etc.

Rumpled
10-10-2006, 1:29 AM
Elk in that area would not be in a general CA DFG zone. Preference points would do you nothing there.
IF it is hunted, it would be PLM, that's Private Land Management or some such phrase.
Landowner gets DFG help and transplanted wildlife, can sell tags for whatever the market will bear.

For bull elk, it's typically on the $5000 to $8000 range. Though I hear Tejon ranch has a $20k price for big bull.

pieeater
10-10-2006, 5:54 PM
Elk in that area would not be in a general CA DFG zone. Preference points would do you nothing there.
IF it is hunted, it would be PLM, that's Private Land Management or some such phrase.
Landowner gets DFG help and transplanted wildlife, can sell tags for whatever the market will bear.

For bull elk, it's typically on the $5000 to $8000 range. Though I hear Tejon ranch has a $20k price for big bull. PLM Tule elk tags sell for around 12,000 on the average for a trophy bull. A cow is about a thousand and management bulls go for 5 to 8000. I know of one ranch that is 17,500 for a trophy tule elk. The elk on Tejon are Rocky Mountain Elk.

edwardm
10-10-2006, 7:20 PM
I went driving this last weekend behind fremont/milpitas up in the foot hills. I seen a ******** load of elk again. These things were huge. I think the road is calavaris off of 680. The exit before highway 84 going north bound, by the nursery. How can you go about finding out if you can hunt around there. I would think it would be to close to the city. This is the second time I have seen them out there. The last time there was a guy that was pulled over and had his spotting scope on his hood and elk caller. He could have just been practicing? Damm, I sure wish I knew someone who was a hunter who could show me the ropes.

Those would be Roosevelt Tule Elk. The state used to be filthy with them, until whitey came along. There is a great big herd with some enormous bulls up in Grizzly Island. During pheasant season, they hang out in one of the big, central fields. Really big, pretty animals. I bet they taste good, too. :)

Blue
10-10-2006, 8:16 PM
PLM Tule elk tags sell for around 12,000 on the average for a trophy bull. A cow is about a thousand and management bulls go for 5 to 8000. I know of one ranch that is 17,500 for a trophy tule elk. The elk on Tejon are Rocky Mountain Elk.

Holy crap :eek: You can get a new truck for that much! :eek:

rod
10-11-2006, 6:52 AM
It might be cheaper to buy your own land and hope some Elk come with it.

the_lynch_family
10-11-2006, 8:55 AM
Ya really, Thats just crazy. I think I will just enjoy watching them from the car when I pass by the area..LOL

It might be cheaper to buy your own land and hope some Elk come with it.

FrankG
10-17-2006, 5:07 AM
I go hunting in that area...I have seen that particular herd before many years ago....I actually havent been hunting up there in many many years...just go with the family...a relative owns some land back there. There is also wild boars and turkeys run around in there...along with foothill dear. My father shot a dear one year and while he was field dressing it a pig walked up on him and he shot him too. mmm venison and pork....I havent seen any elk on his property though and deer season just ended up there a short time ago...