PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy discovery

Ifticar
03-05-2011, 11:42 PM
I have a CZ452 Varminter. It shot 0.5 to 0.6 spreads at 50 yards. I thought that it should do better. I bedded the rifle. It still shot the same spread.

I decided to lap the scope rings. Magic! It now shoots 0.25 spreads at 50 yards.

You experts could probably have told me that lapping the rings would help....but I have never seen it mentioned as being so effective.

Izzy43
03-06-2011, 6:18 AM
I have a CZ452 Varminter. It shot 0.5 to 0.6 spreads at 50 yards. I thought that it should do better. I bedded the rifle. It still shot the same spread.

I decided to lap the scope rings. Magic! It now shoots 0.25 spreads at 50 yards.

You experts could probably have told me that lapping the rings would help....but I have never seen it mentioned as being so effective.

All part of the learning experience. What works for one rifle doesn't necessarily work for another. Could be scope rings or bedding or action screw torque or floating the barrel or the crown or the trigger or ammo or......

Just don't know till you find the magic one or two or three or......

Took me 6 months to get a Savage BTVS to shoot MOA. Be happy that you have a great shooter.

donw
03-06-2011, 7:14 AM
i also found that lapping the factory CZ rings was a "chore"...good steel.

bruce_ventura
03-06-2011, 11:16 PM
All part of the learning experience. What works for one rifle doesn't necessarily work for another. Could be scope rings or bedding or action screw torque or floating the barrel or the crown or the trigger or ammo or......

Just don't know till you find the magic one or two or three or......

Took me 6 months to get a Savage BTVS to shoot MOA. Be happy that you have a great shooter.

And what was the it that worked for you with the Savage? I have a similar model and am sitll trying to get below 1 MOA at 100 yds. Some of it is me, because I'm shooting of a bopod and I'm still getting used to it.

Izzy43
03-07-2011, 6:14 AM
And what was the it that worked for you with the Savage? I have a similar model and am sitll trying to get below 1 MOA at 100 yds. Some of it is me, because I'm shooting of a bopod and I'm still getting used to it.

It was two simple things actually. The rifle only likes Wolf Match Target ammo and the torque on the action screws. I finally broke down and bought a torque screw driver and set the torque to 14 inch/lbs and started experimenting and finally got the rifle to group well. 1/2" or better @ 50 yds finally. I have shot a little at 100yds and will ocassionally shoot MOA when the wind is not up at my range (which is very seldom). For all the hype I have read about the BTVS I have to say I am disappointed in the rifle from an accuracy standpoint. Sure is pretty though.

I went through at least 25 different brands/types of ammo before finding that it only liked the Wolf for accuracy. I have a CZ UltraLux and Mossberg 44US with peep sights that will shoot right with the scoped BTVS with 4 or 5 different brands of ammo. Just the way it is with .22s I guess.

appagohm
03-07-2011, 8:18 AM
I have a savage auto loading 22lr, and it shoots great at 50 yards. no mods except a cheap little scope that suprisingly keeps it's zero.