PDA

View Full Version : Disassemble Black Dog mags?

goofcat
03-05-2011, 8:14 PM
Does anyone how to take these apart for cleaning? My are getting dirty and "sticky". I can't seem to figure out how to take the two sides apart. I've tried all the Allen keys I have and nothing seems to fit the brass end or the black metal end of the screws holding the thing together.

help!

P.S. pics would be awesome!

Chief-7700
03-05-2011, 8:38 PM
Does anyone how to take these apart for cleaning? My are getting dirty and "sticky". I can't seem to figure out how to take the two sides apart. I've tried all the Allen keys I have and nothing seems to fit the brass end or the black metal end of the screws holding the thing together.

help!

P.S. pics would be awesome!

Please post some of the magazine.

radio2
03-05-2011, 8:42 PM
We need some pics!

TKM
03-05-2011, 8:42 PM
I don't have the black dogs, but for working on the CMMG mags I just found an allen wrench that fit. (I have pounds of allen wrenches.)

Dremelled off a 1 inch section and chucked it up in a cordless drill.

Bzzz, bzzz, bzzz, just like NASCAR.

Look what I found.

http://www.silencerresearch.com/Black%20Dog.wmv

Pugster
03-05-2011, 8:43 PM
Are you using Metric keys? A 3/32" key seems to work fine on my 10/25 BDM mag.

Super Spy
03-05-2011, 9:08 PM
Turn it over and stick a pin in the hole and slide off the bottom cover. If you mean to dis-assemble the halves after that a 3/32" Allen fits perfectly. I have 3 of the current style BDM Mags in .22....though they only see range use and never get dropped in the dirt so cleaning is hardly needed.

goofcat
03-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks for all the info. I guess it was a combo of, bad eyesight, late night, and a drawer full of metric Allen wrenches. Found a 3/32 and was able to open them up.

They were DIRTY inside, coated with a nice layer of gun powder and there was residue stuck to the inside "lips".

Hopefully after the cleaning, they will feed better.

thanks again for all the info.

shadow65
03-07-2011, 1:01 PM
Don't use any harsh cleaner on the BDM mags. It will eat them.

RogueSniper
03-07-2011, 5:10 PM
^ This!

One of our Calgunners accidentally used a spray cleaner (I think it was some brake cleaner type of cleaner) and melted his plastics magazines. Clean them with Simple Green, rinse and air dry. If you have to lubricate, use a little silicone spray.

goofcat
03-07-2011, 6:43 PM
Black dog recommends WD40 or soapy water. I used a little WD, but nothing melted.