PDA

View Full Version : Nor. CA Hogs

Vepr62
10-08-2006, 8:55 PM
Do you live in the area where wild hogs could be found? Didn't eat all natural bacon since I came to the states 14 years ago. Lets talk business. I am willing to pay reasonable guide fee. How about hunting party? I'll bring arms and ammo for the whole squad, but I want that bacon....

IGOTDIRT4U
10-09-2006, 3:41 PM
Check the Cal Fish and Game booklet, or the website. Many areas are coming up for tags. Central California had the biggest take last year.

taloft
10-09-2006, 4:24 PM
Check out Jesse's Hunting page. http://www.jesseshunting.com/

They have all the info. you will need to hunt effectively in Cal. They also list some of the more popular guides with reviews so you don't get ripped. Lots of Hog info. as well.

Enjoy

1SGMAT
10-09-2006, 6:13 PM
CA pig tags are good statewide. You are not likely going to get bacon from a wild pig, at least I never have in the 6 ive got.

Camp Roberts and Ft Hunter Ligget are the best places (un guided) in CA down on the central coast.

Python2
10-09-2006, 7:51 PM
Do you live in the area where wild hogs could be found? Didn't eat all natural bacon since I came to the states 14 years ago. Lets talk business. I am willing to pay reasonable guide fee. How about hunting party? I'll bring arms and ammo for the whole squad, but I want that bacon....

Where are you located? Do you know how to make bacon out of wild hogs? The last one I harvested by King City was so full of fat after skinning it.

Vepr62
10-09-2006, 9:38 PM
The last time I hunted wild pigs was 15 years ago in Russia. And those were lean mean potato filds destroying machines. Very good bacon and very little fat. I thought that wild CA pigs were the same. I live in Sac Valley

anotherone
10-11-2006, 1:03 AM
The last time I hunted wild pigs was 15 years ago in Russia. And those were lean mean potato filds destroying machines. Very good bacon and very little fat. I thought that wild CA pigs were the same. I live in Sac Valley

There are actually two varieties of wild pig in California. First there are the feral pigs which to my understanding are actually a mix of domestic and wild pigs. Most of them are around 250 - 300 pounds but along the coast they can sometimes reach 350 pounds. Then there are the Russian boars that were let loose here by the Russians while they were in the state hundreds of years ago. It is not unusual for a Russian boar to reach 450 pounds :eek: !!!

I'd recommend at least a 180 grain bullet from a .30-06 rifle if not larger from a .300 winchester magnum or 7mm magnum. Hogs are notoriously difficult to take out and I've heard of people having to shoot them 4 or 5 times with .308 to finish them off. They're tough as nails and they've got tusks up to six inches long. Be sure to finish them quickly should you decide to hunt them up close with shotgun slugs, bows, muzzle loaders, or high caliber handguns because they've got a very nasty temper.

On a side note they don't seem to have very good vision and it's easy to get within 30 yards of them. Their hearing and sense of smell are faily accute though so be sure to be sensitive to which direction the wind is blowing and be careful of your footing.

Vepr62
10-11-2006, 8:20 AM
You are right about hog vision. I could come as close as 30 meeters, but they may smell you or hear you 300 meeters away. I used to shoot them with a 12 guage slug in the head to shake their brains, and then to slit the throat to blead out. Later when I got old Mosin, 180 grain military round did a great job puncturing lungs, and about 80% of the time exiting on the other side. Shots were made at less than 80 meeters. With that Mosin I couldn't hit a barn if it was more than 150 meeters away.

WOLFPACK117
10-15-2006, 8:09 PM
Verp,

If you don't mind paying for gas i'll take you(Ford Expedition). but, first we have to go to range to make sure you know your weapon safety rules and can hit the 100yard target. let me know.

Thanks,
Wolfpack on the move

FrankG
10-17-2006, 4:37 AM
The meat from the pigs i have seen shot was always tough...it was almost always turned into sausage...which is very good...lol

Comstock Lode
10-17-2006, 3:34 PM
My .30 -06 is out of commision for time being, so I have to use my .308 for a planned hunt next month. Any specific ammo recommendation for hogs, central coast, CA?

E. Fudd
10-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Get the deepest penetrating load you can find. The lighter .308 loads, like the 150 gr. SP's, that can drop a small coastal deer won't cut it.

I've heard Barnes-X loads in .308 is a good penetrator, but haven't had a chance to shoot a pig with it yet... I'm sure Federal has a deep penetrator load in .308 as well.

wildcard
10-18-2006, 11:01 AM
The Federal Premium loaded 165 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw would do the job, but it's comparatively expensive and difficult to find. Midway carries it I believe.

Comstock Lode
10-18-2006, 1:44 PM
After some internet research I had come down to the 2 recommended bullets from the preceding entries: Federal Premium Vital Shok loaded 165 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and the Federal Premium 165gr Barnes Triple Shock X. Both expensive, but don't need that much. Other bullet of common use seems to be the Nosler Partition. I've essentially decided on the Barnes, if i can find it...

Thanks for the feedback!

26th LGS
10-18-2006, 9:48 PM
This past monday I used a winchester 165gr silvertip through a Garand to take
a 100# boar about 40 miles southeast of hollister.

26th LGS