PDA

View Full Version : Hi Cap Mags in Featureless Fixed/Detachable?- I Have Searched!

Grayling14
03-05-2011, 4:21 AM
I apolagize in advance because I know this info is somewhere on the forum, but I cannot for the life of me find it in concise terms, despite hours of searching and reading. I am familiar with the definition of an 'assault weapon' as defined by PC 12276.1 , and of a detachable/removable magazine as defined by CCR 11 Sect. 5469 (a), and have studied the flowchart at www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.html, so I am not completely ignorant, but I still need clarification because it doesn't seem to make sense:
1) A 'featureless' rifle with a detachable hi-cap mag is legal, but
2) A 'featureless' rifle with a fixed hi-cap mag is an assault weapon.

Non Sequitur?

paradox
03-05-2011, 6:38 AM
Yes, yes, and yes.

Exile Machine
03-05-2011, 6:40 AM
1) A 'featureless' rifle with a detachable hi-cap mag is legal

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

2) A 'featureless' rifle with a fixed hi-cap mag is an assault weapon

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Note that in case #2 the law does not care if the rifle is featureless or not.

/thread

-Mark

Grayling14
03-06-2011, 2:28 AM
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Note that in case #2 the law does not care if the rifle is featureless or not.

/thread

-Mark

My point exactly. I can use a hi-cap mag in my stock 581 series Ruger Ranch Rifle and be legal, but if it had a bullet button installed, (for argument's sake only), the insertion of a hi-cap mag would constitute the creation of an assault weapon! What kind of nonesense is that?

2Bear
03-06-2011, 2:37 AM
Doesn't this somewhat hinge on the date of ownership of your hi-cap mag?

(I half-kid, as I see much room for confusion here for unaware and/or generally befuddled Californians such as myself.)

Grayling14
03-06-2011, 4:43 AM
(I half-kid, as I see much room for confusion here for unaware and/or generally befuddled Californians such as myself.)

Ditto. This speaks to my reasoning for trying to get clarification/confirmation.

[QUOTE=2Bear;5947557]Doesn't this somewhat hinge on the date of ownership of your hi-cap mag?

From my reading of the regulations, technically . . . no. Regardless of the date or method of acquisition, the possession and use of large cap mags is legal, (within the restrictions of CCR 11 Sect. 5469). That being said, if they had not been possessed before 1 Jan. 2000 then a different crime would have been committed if they had been imported/manufactured/sold/loaned/given. Fortunately, old mags are also compatable with new series RRs.

Also, you might have noticed that the mention of a 'bullet button' on a RR was tongue-in-cheek, as I have never seen one on anything but an AR/AK type.
Sorry for my lack of specificity, I only intended to address the legality of using large cap mags in fixed vs. detachable 'featureless' centerfire rifles.