PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Ruger SR-22 today

pennys dad
03-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Apparently it is going on the discontinued list at Turners and sold for $429, so I bought it! Now I need mods. Since it can take a milspec adjustable stock does this mean it can take an A2 fixed stock?
I like the hogue hand grip so I wont change that.
I will add the full top rail on the hand guard.
I need to make the mag release mod.
Can the hand guard be changed?

I will use a scope, I am figuring either a redfield or a vx-1 or the mark AR 1 x 4.

Anyone have this rifle?

jackandblood
03-05-2011, 8:40 AM
I think this one did well in the American Riflemen Tactical 22s article. Some suggestions. Maybe forget the full hand guard rail, I dont see much point to it. I'd go with a quarter length rail on a side if you want to mount a flashlight. Also I think you will miss the versatility of a telescoping stock.The handguard looks like it is a free-floating design. e.g. handling of the guard wont influence the sight-to-barrel coordination. Probably best not to replace it. IIRC the barrel is standard ar-15 threaded. That gives you a whole world of muzzle accessories. I'd get something in polished stainless :)

pennys dad
03-05-2011, 9:06 AM
Hahaha I hadnt even considered the muzzle :-) Good lord this rifle with cost some bucks! I read that the handguard is not free float there is a piece between it and the barrel and it will cause regular flyers, I watched the breakdown vids and it looked easy to remove. That may be the only change I make there, or I may get the Hogue handgaurd RRA advertises and see if it can work, carbine length though. Heck if it doesnt work it can be the catalyst for a new AR build. You know on the barrel, I can even go with a Green Mountain barrel. WOW, this is going to cost me some Bucks! :-) Thx for the thoughts.

uxo2
03-05-2011, 9:15 AM
This link might give some ideas.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232011

jackandblood
03-05-2011, 3:50 PM
Oh ya I see, the main scope mount is part of the outer body and connects to the handguard. Hmm so forces acting on the handguard will influence the scope mount separately from the barrel. Cheapest fix would be to tightly bed the action/barrel into the outer receiver. I dont think it's much of a big deal anyway. At distance, shooting bulk ammo, the ammo will probably govern.

pennys dad
03-05-2011, 5:43 PM
This link might give some ideas.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232011

Excellent thread, Thank you

pennys dad
03-05-2011, 6:11 PM
good lord, I am SO screwed!! some of those pics show straight milspec addons

jackandblood
03-05-2011, 7:18 PM
Well no one at the range is going to care much if you show up with a stock sr-22. If you really want to make yours unique I suggest foregoing all the mil spec addons. Get the thing engraved. Maybe an American Riflemen theme, probably not the traditional Colt collectors piece type theme. Or a fancy duracoat finish. Have duracoated or something in white text on the barrel says "point towards enemy" like on those AT4 shoulder fire rockets. Be creative, then post pics ASAP :D