PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with 357 mag

glockk9mm
10-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Whats the biggest game I can take with a 357 magnum? What doy you guys recomend me hunting with 357 mag?

socalguns
10-08-2006, 3:36 AM
Note the parts in bold :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Magnum

This cartridge is an excellent self-defense round; it still enjoys a reputation of being the gold standard of stopping power among handgun cartridges. Some of those who have used it have described a "struck by lightning" reaction in those hit with it. For big game, such as ungulates and bears (which have a sturdier build than humans), it is inferior to the .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, .41 Magnum and other bigger magnum rounds. Still, it is a fine small and medium game round and will kill deer very reliably at short range if used by a good shot. It has much more stopping power on game than the .45 Long Colt and the much flatter trajectory makes hits on small game much easier out to about 75 yards.

Vepr62
10-08-2006, 9:23 PM
Personally I use 44 magnum as my backup when hunting. I prefer shots at 200 yards rather than 20 yards. But energy wise, you could kill a deer or a medium size hog with it. and it is too large for smaller game.