PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Lower + dedicated upper or M&P .22?

zushikikato
03-04-2011, 1:26 AM
I was wondering what would be a better investment/deal
getting one of those AR15 lowers like a cmmg with a dedicated upper or getting the M&P .22
What options would you guys pick or did pick and how did it work out?

Droppin Deuces
03-04-2011, 5:03 AM
Don't know anything about the tacticfool .22's, but I've owned both CMMG(sold it) and TacSol(more accurate) uppers. Wouldn't think of going any other way. What are you saving by getting a complete .22 rifle? LIke $100-$150? Just go the dedicated upper route.

Edit: HA! "Tacticfool." What a great typo:D

SDM44
03-04-2011, 5:54 AM
Better investment? Building the AR-dedicated rifle with .22 upper. Then you can swap uppers & mags for a .223 upper and you're good to go.

Better deal? It'll be cheaper to buy a complete .22 rifle like a M&P 15-22 or Umarex M4, and spend the rest of the money saved on ammo or other accessories you may want to throw onto the gun.

Best overall value? That's up to the person and what they feel is the best for their needs. Some may like the AR dedicated rifle where they can swap out their uppers for other uses. Some may want just a fun range plinker and be happy with their complete .22 rifle.

Best for resale? This is a toss up, but if you've sold stuff in the past in the classifieds here, or elsewhere or on Ebay or Craigslist, then you'll know that people are concerned about price first, then quality of the item, etc. I search through the classifieds on there everyday and I see AR dedicated rifles and complete .22 rifles for sale every now & then. I'll tell you this, the cheaper complete .22 rifles are sold much faster than the AR dedicated rifles. So if you're looking to get rid of your rifle down the road and get something else, consider what the market is currently looking for or what's hot these days (IMO, the 15-22 rifle sales go pretty fast on the classifieds here).

donw
03-04-2011, 6:03 AM
i went the spikes tactical ST-22 with dedicated 22lr marked lowers and ordered 5.56 LW upper along with it.

that way i have the option to go 5.56 when i wish...the .22lr route enables me to shoot more often as the cost of the ammo is now a factor.

i also have to change the mag drop to "bullet button" whenever i am using the 5.56 but i can leave the mag drop in while using it as the 22lr.

MaHoTex
03-04-2011, 6:03 AM
If I had a penny for every time this question comes up on this forum I would be rich!!!!

S&W15-22... you will not regret it. It is very lightweight, adds another rifle to your collection for relatively cheap. I lost count but I have somewhere around 17K rounds through mine without a problem.

thunderbolt
03-04-2011, 6:49 AM
If you already have a centerfire AR platform or plan on getting one, go with the dedicated upper. My CMMG is pretty nice and didn't break my budget.

If on the other hand you don't have/want a centerfire AR, stick with the M&P .22. It's not a bad little rifle.

zushikikato
03-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the input guys!
I was just concerned over the reliability of one of the complete .22 vs the dedicated upper ones.

I already have an ACR so I probably won't be looking for an AR 15 down the road so I will probably go with the m&p thanks a lot!

3GunFunShooter
03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I went with the Model 1 Sales 22 upper. Others have got the Tactical Solutions, excellent.
I would stay away from any 22 that you can't use the Black Dog mags.
I hate it when I have to buy the manufacturer mags at their inflated prices and can not work with any other gun.

usmcchet9296
03-04-2011, 12:11 PM
For the money I would go with a dedicated upper or complete rifle
Why?
Because they will last and can be converted back to centerfire with ease
sure they cost more but unlike Colts potmetal monstrosity and S&W plastic gun milspec guns like Spikes, CCMG, TacSol, etc. can be treated like a real AR and not break.
Yes S&W plastic guns may last the test of time but I hate plasic but thats just my preferance and Colts gun may last but do you want to chance it?
I have a Spikes complete AR22 and it is great. Unlike some I rarely have any mechanical problems with it and as long as you do a real basic cleaning to it neither should you.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/3802382031_d007bbe348.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/3802382031/)
spikes 22 (3) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/3802382031/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr

lugee
03-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Although this might not be a factor for you, but when I was choosing between a dedicated 22 AR or a stand alone 22 rifle like a mp15-22, I was more concerned about how picky it is with ammo. My CMMG dedicated upper has eaten the crappiest and dirtiest 22LR ammo and cycled fine. That, and it runs off black dog magazines.

goofcat
03-04-2011, 1:24 PM
Do you want 1.5 guns or 2 guns?

zushikikato
03-04-2011, 3:01 PM
Although this might not be a factor for you, but when I was choosing between a dedicated 22 AR or a stand alone 22 rifle like a mp15-22, I was more concerned about how picky it is with ammo. My CMMG dedicated upper has eaten the crappiest and dirtiest 22LR ammo and cycled fine. That, and it runs off black dog magazines.

This was one of my concerns also. I thought the M&P could spit out anything that is why I left all the other tacticool ones liek the umarex and the gsg out of the picture.

shadow65
03-04-2011, 3:04 PM
Remigtons are not recommended by CMMG and most other .22 manufacturers of AR dedicated uppers. The bullet profile is slightly different and it is very dirty.
That said, mine runs it fine until it gets gunked up.

rojocorsa
03-04-2011, 3:45 PM
As someone who doesn't have an AR yet, I think it makes more sens to buy the proper 5.56 lower, and then a quality .22 adapter kit/upper.

One less DROS to worry about....

NorCalDustin
03-04-2011, 3:49 PM
If you already have a centerfire AR platform or plan on getting one, go with the dedicated upper. My CMMG is pretty nice and didn't break my budget.

If on the other hand you don't have/want a centerfire AR, stick with the M&P .22. It's not a bad little rifle.
I agree.. I think a dedicated upper is the way to go....

Thanks for the input guys!
I was just concerned over the reliability of one of the complete .22 vs the dedicated upper ones.

I already have an ACR so I probably won't be looking for an AR 15 down the road so I will probably go with the m&p thanks a lot!
My dedicated uppers from CMMG have been EXTREMELY reliable.

Remigtons are not recommended by CMMG and most other .22 manufacturers of AR dedicated uppers. The bullet profile is slightly different and it is very dirty.
That said, mine runs it fine until it gets gunked up.
Same here... While they may not be recommended, mine runs them fine.

lugee
03-04-2011, 3:49 PM
You should also take a look at the sig 522. I have read that these are equally as reliable.

This was one of my concerns also. I thought the M&P could spit out anything that is why I left all the other tacticool ones liek the umarex and the gsg out of the picture.

goofcat
03-04-2011, 5:58 PM
I second on the SIG 522. Love mine, and unlike the 15-22 the SIG takes regular Blackdog and other .22lr conversion mags.

Tzvia
03-05-2011, 5:50 AM
I had gone through this myself a few months back. While I had 3 'left over' bare lowers in the drawer from the early days of OLL madness, the easy way was just to buy a whole new 22. Cheaper than building another lower and then ordering an upper. But I had the lower already and I found I had most of an LPK, and an old A1 stock set too. So after ordering a few pins and springs and building that up, I just went and ordered the CMMG upper w/the chrome upgrades. I'm happy I did.

Maybe you can find a dealer that can handle the transfer of a CMMG complete rifle (Quebec, is it?). Sounds like a really good buy if you can find a dealer that doesn't rake you on the transfer. If you decide to order a .223 upper for it at some point, just install a bullet button.

Love my CMMG (on a Spikes lower and left over parts). Put a bunch of different ammo through it, Win, Remi, CCI, Fed, Wolf. It all goes bang and cycles great, with the CCI Blazer being a bit more accurate. As was already said, it's a real AR, just not centerfire.
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k607/Tzvia2/22-AR.jpg

Packy14
03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I have a tacsol upper w/ tacsol compensator.. just put on the comp and its sweet, basically the barrel doesn't move off target when you shoot, its that stable (didn't move much before, but the difference is notable. Groups are very good even thought i've only shot it offhand so far with irons. i'm happy, but I also lucked out and got the upper for 350$ new through a friend... not sure i'd be as happy at regular price. What I like best is that for the most part it is the perfect trainer for my real AR, even weight wise its close. I'm not a fan of plastic toys, I had a GSG which I sold, and personally I would never buy one of the .22 rifles that are not real AR's, all my parts are mil-spec, down to the Troy sight, and in a pinch I can use the lower as a back up for my primary. The only downside is it doesn't have a real bolt hold open, the mag holds it open but it slams shut when you remove the mag, I also wonder if over time this will damage the bolt carrier but so far it seems harmless and TacSol is pretty good at taking care of problems. That said, I've heard good things about the CMMG uppers and they are probably almost as accurate as the tacsol, at a cheaper price.

shadow65
03-05-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a post for CMMG uppers in the for sale forum if anyone is interested.