PDA

View Full Version : How to recoat Tech Sight Bull bbl adapter

dwh100
03-03-2011, 5:55 PM
I recently received some Tech Sights for my 10/22. I ordered the Bull Barrel adapter for the front sight. The adapter has a manganese phosphate finish. I would like to recoat it to somewhat match my Clark Bull barrel that is blued.
What would be the best way to make this happen?

Rust
03-03-2011, 6:22 PM
Probably going to have to hand sand the parkerizing off to a similar grit that your barrel is finished to (I'd guess 400 or so) and then hot or cold blue it. I'm not aware of any stripping agents that will remove parkerizing without doing damage to the base metal as well.
What do you think of the tech sights? I've been thinking of ordering a set for myself as well.

dwh100
03-03-2011, 6:48 PM
What is involved in the blueing process? Can it be done at home or best to send it out to be done?

I haven't had a chance to use them yet. Still waiting on a stock , and barrel. They are not garand sights, or AR sights, both of with which I am quite familiar. But, they are made to work the same way, and appear to be well made. I'm sure they will be awesome. Many folks really like em.

Rust
03-03-2011, 7:06 PM
Hot blue you would have to send out but there are several cold bluing solutions you can do at home. Most gun shops and the bigger sporting goods stores carry them. Next time you're in whatever your usual shop is check their cleaning chemicals (that's where they tend to hide out) or just ask for it and they'll probably have something. They're not as even or as durable of a finish as hot blue but some people seem to get decent results with them.

dwh100
03-04-2011, 9:01 PM
Going to try Evaporust to remove the Magnese Phosphate parkerizing. Polish, and cold blue with oxpho cream. If I remember, I'll post some pics of my experiment.
Thanx.