PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safe Opinion

Bizarro
03-03-2011, 7:39 AM
My first post so be kind...
I'm in the market for a gun safe. Trying to keep it under the $1k mark. I've been reading as many article and posts as I can, and I've seen a wide variety of opinion. I want to know what your thought s are on this AMSEC TF6032. The safe I'm looking at comes in a special gloss black, electronic lock and the door organizer (which I like).
1. Good Safe?
2. Good deal?
3. Opinions on the shop selling the safe?
4. Recommendations...
Thanks for your help!!!

I live in Orange County and this will be my first safe for what seems to be an ever growing collection.

http://www.maximumsecurity.com/safes/pc/Gun-Safe-AMSEC-TF6032GB-24p283.htm

Casual_Shooter
03-03-2011, 7:41 AM
Amsec has a good reputation. You would be happy with that choice.

Of course I would be remiss in my forum duties if I didn't mention that you should get a larger safe than you think you need. Guns and ammo breed in the dark recesses of the safe. :)

coyotebait
03-03-2011, 8:29 AM
Amsec has a good reputation. You would be happy with that choice.

Of course I would be remiss in my forum duties if I didn't mention that you should get a larger safe than you think you need. Guns and ammo breed in the dark recesses of the safe. :)

This!!!! I'm almost needing a second safe, and I didn't buy a small one either.
OP, I would check with the company, find out whether or not the bolts are "supported." If not, I'd pass. Unsupported bolts can be pried open pretty easily.
Watch this video!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M

Gunsmithing
03-03-2011, 9:32 AM
The best safe is more than one safe
It take time to brake in If you have more that this will slow down the robber.
Lock each room a gun safe is in do not put more that one safe per room and hide the safes.

Dave

WWDHD?
03-03-2011, 9:49 AM
I looked a AMSEC safes as well when I was shopping for a safe. All the ones I saw were over the $1000 mark. Only the top of the line BF is US made, the rest are made in China. The company makes very good quality products and have a good warranty.
If your limit is 1k, take a look at the BigHorn safes from Costco. They are made in China, but marketed by Rhino Safes, a well known US safe maker. They are 10ga steel (most others in that price range are 12ga). Sometimes Costco has a sale on these safes with free shipping. I've read that they will put a combo dial on it if you want before shipping it to you.
If you can raise your limit a bit, look at www.sturdysafe.com. US made and CA made. Very strong 7ga steel. Way more function than form. Some Liberties are under 1k but the better ones get expensive fast.
Liberty will install a safe inside your home for a reasonable fee (under $300 usually.) The rest will only drop off in your driveway. You'll have to get it inside yourself unless you hire a third party to move it for you. Get lots of help and watch the videos on moving safes on youtube if you decide to move it yourself.
Good luck.

crazychinaman
03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=Bizarro;5927840]My first post so be kind...
I'm in the market for a gun safe. Trying to keep it under the $1k mark. I've been reading as many article and posts as I can, and I've seen a wide variety of opinion. I want to know what your thought s are on this AMSEC TF6032. The safe I'm looking at comes in a special gloss black, electronic lock and the door organizer (which I like).
1. Good Safe?
2. Good deal?
3. Opinions on the shop selling the safe?
4. Recommendations...
Thanks for your help!!!

I live in Orange County and this will be my first safe for what seems to be an ever growing collection.

http://www.maximumsecurity.com/safes/pc/Gun-Safe-AMSEC-TF6032GB-24p283.htm[/QUOTthey are good safes. Have you looked at sportsman safe co. in long beach.?

gravedigger
03-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Look up Merlo Safes. I bought two from them. The "Collector" and the "Armory."

Hiding a safe is a good idea. If you can afford it, get another safe and bolt it down in a prominant location. Use it to store your cat food and litter. Thieves will spend their time and energy breaking into the safe they SEE while the hidden safe with the valuables remains undisturbed.

Super Spy
03-03-2011, 10:22 AM
The combo locks last a lot longer than the digital ones and batteries are never an issue. Sure it takes a bit longer to get it, but you will always be able to. +1 on buy a bigger safe than you think you need. I just acquired my 2nd long gun safe as the first one was half full of guns and the other side was stuffed with ammo.

jm13690
03-03-2011, 5:50 PM
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=438255&pdesc=Liberty_Timber_Ridge_Series_TR25_Gun_Safes_M echanical&aID=510L1&merchID=4006

This Liberty Gander mountain is a good deal and the shipping is reasonable. Since they install inside.

TurboChrisB
03-03-2011, 6:42 PM
I'm thinking this is about as good a deal as is out there... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=391343
I'm gonna pick up one of the 45 gun safes

Bizarro
03-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I've been reading everyones thoughts and i want to thank everyone for their advice. I just ran the idea by the wife and she thought maybe we need to go bigger.....Now I know why I married her. Looking at the 36-40 inch wide models. Feel free to chime in...and thanks again. I love this forum!

WWDHD?
03-05-2011, 8:51 AM
If you want big for not to much $$$, take a look at the Liberty FatBoy jr. I really wanted this safe until I messured the room and found it wouldn't fit! If you wait for a sale, like Memorial day coming up or something, you might find one for around your 1k budget. Or look out for the Costco BigHorn when it goes on sale with free shipping.

Geetarguy
03-05-2011, 8:59 AM
This is what I bought...
http://www.cannonsafe.com/series/patriot/p22.html
And you can probably pick it up for around $750 (pre-tax) at one of the gun shows....

And I think they have the best warranty on the market...;)