PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question on first time shotgun purchase?

hkfooey
10-05-2006, 7:16 PM
My friends got me interested in doing skeet shooting and I am looking forward to purchase my first shotgun.

Not 100% sure if I would use it for hunting but since I would like to shoot double pump action is out of the question.

Price range willing to spend at or/less than $700.

Dumb questions as follow:

Do we need to pick from a CA DOJ approval list (similar to pistol)?
What would you recommend (in this price range) and why?
I will probably go with a new one (instead of used) because I plan to keep it for a while. :rolleyes: Thanks in advance! ;)

NeoWeird
10-05-2006, 7:45 PM
Nope, no REAL rules to follow with shotguns. The only rules that come to mind are the normal legnth rules (18" barrel or longer and 26" overall or longer for shotguns if I remember right), no pistol grip AND collapsable buttstock on SEMIAUTO shotguns, and no SEMIAUTO shotguns with removable magazines. OUtside of that you can get WHATEVER shotgun you want.

As for a recommendation, well over/unders are in general more exspensive than other shotguns and $700 is going to push closer to the nicer guns, but you will still need to get an 'economy' gun. You could probably find a CZ or Mossberg in that price range, I know Big 5 has a Mossberg Silver Reserve on sale this wee for ~$500. You could probably find one of imported/contracted ones for that price range, like a Spartan or Baikal.

In all honesty though, if you want a good over/under that you can use for a good while and will be nice; I'd personally save for a week or two more and push for a $1,000+ model and get a name brand you be confident in.

xenophobe
10-05-2006, 8:31 PM
If you're going to buy an over/under, I would suggest saving a bit more money... the guns in the $1200-$2000 price range ARE that much nicer, and anything under $800 is going to have a stiff action and probably fixed chokes.

If you're going for an O/U, consider the Ruger Red Labels or the Franchi Light Field.

But under $500, you can get a decent semi-auto, like the Charles Daly Field, a used 11-87 or one of the CZ semis. A little more money and you might be able to find an Beretta AL39x series or new 11-87.

Then again, I'm not much of a shotgun guy, and my knowledge in this field is pretty limited.

hkfooey
10-05-2006, 8:50 PM
I was able to find a new 1187 for around $670 + FFL/SH.

http://www.gunandsport.com/products/shotguns/sgun_autoloaders.html

What do you guys think?

1. Is it a good shotgun for this price?
2. Should I try to hunt one down locally? I live in the Bay Area and everything is kind of more expensive. :mad:

Thanks again!

ivanimal
10-05-2006, 8:56 PM
Look into the Winchester Super X 2's and 3's they were touted as the fastest semi auto made. They are made in the same factory as the Browning gold hunter, and have extremely high standards for tolerances and finish. The Browning although basically the same gun is 1K +. Thes guns are made by Fabrque Nationale, it does not get much better than that for reliability and quality.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=57757167

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=57680399

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/images/511053m.jpg

chiefcrash
10-06-2006, 7:26 AM
what's wrong with pumps? i shoot doubles with my dad's Benneli Nova all the time. it just takes a little practice, and then you can get that second shot off as quick as with a semiauto

ohsmily
10-06-2006, 8:08 AM
Look into the Winchester Super X 2's and 3's they were touted as the fastest semi auto made.

+1 I have 3 Super X2 shotguns in various configurations (2 field guns and one practical 3-gun set up). I LOVE them. My buddy has a few of them as well and also has some benellis and though he thinks the Benelli is a little "fancier" and well finished, he loves his Super X2 just as much.

JPglee1
10-06-2006, 8:47 AM
what's wrong with pumps? i shoot doubles with my dad's Benneli Nova all the time. it just takes a little practice, and then you can get that second shot off as quick as with a semiauto

+1, I use a Mossie 500 for skeet with no problems, doubles included.

I also have an Ithaca 20GA SxS that I use, and I prefer the pump actually...

J

rod
10-06-2006, 9:39 AM
+2 on the pumps. I use a Mossy 500 also and have no problems other than my shoulder getting banged up from the M4 stock. It makes me sexy though.

edbon9
10-06-2006, 1:09 PM
you might be able to find a beretta field AL391,in that price range. they come with 5 chokes, SK/IC/M/IM/F. I've shot skeet/trap with it with no problems. they are pretty good guns.

cornholio1
10-06-2006, 1:22 PM
Will a Benelli M2 Field Barrel work in a Benelli M2 Super 90? I am looking for a semiauto shotties for both home defense and sport.

bubbagump
10-06-2006, 1:25 PM
You can find an O/U for under 700. As suggested before, the Mossberg Silver Reserve would be an Idea. A buddy owns one and it has been good to him...Reliable with the only downside being a nasty heavy trigger.

A good semi will be easier to find at that price range. An 11-87 would be great.

As for shooting doubles with a pump, its totally possible. I work at a skeet range, so I watch shooters all day long. I have seen shooters bring uber expensive shotguns, but cant shoot worth a damn. On the other hand, I have seen guys show up with Mossberg 500's or Remington 870's and shoot better scores than the guys with the uber expensive guns who are actually good shooters.

And to back that one up...I know of a man who is blind in one eye and shoots a Winchester Model 12 Pump in .410 Gauge who gets 25's all the time.

So dont leave pumps out of the equation. An expensive gun wont make you shoot better...plus its embarassing when the guy with the piece-o-******** pump gets a better score than you...

hkfooey
10-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks for everyone's comment.

I am sure that in the hand of an "expereinced" shooter, doing double with a pump shotgun would be easy... but consider myself that having problem hitting 25/25, I would pass the "pump" for now... at least I would like to build up my confidence in doing double (or just single) with the "non-pump" action (IMHO - of course).

So - I am looking at either 1187 or AL391: apart from price, what are their different(s)?? (or a personal thing again?)

Thanks again brother!!! :)

Bryan Whited
10-09-2006, 5:43 AM
The 391 is what the high volume Skeet shooters use.
The 1100 and 11-87 are very nice and will do great at Skeet but generally do not hold up as well when shooting 20,000+ rounds a year.
You will do very well with the 11-87.

bubbagump
10-11-2006, 8:24 PM
Thanks for everyone's comment.

I am sure that in the hand of an "expereinced" shooter, doing double with a pump shotgun would be easy... but consider myself that having problem hitting 25/25, I would pass the "pump" for now... at least I would like to build up my confidence in doing double (or just single) with the "non-pump" action (IMHO - of course).

So - I am looking at either 1187 or AL391: apart from price, what are their different(s)?? (or a personal thing again?)

Thanks again brother!!! :)

I would personally pick the 11-87. I used to shoot a skeet model and did very well. I use a pump now, and it does take getting used to. Its harder hitting those doubles if you get to excited and dont rack the slide ALL the way back, then you get an embarrasing jam and your self esteem plummets.

I have seen very little problems with 11-87's. I have seen some bolts not come home because of what I think were very light loads, but that didnt stop the guy from shooting 100/100 in a competition.

I dont know anything about this "AL391", sorry.

Good Luck Bro.

hkfooey
10-17-2006, 9:32 PM
I went and check Big 5 today the Mossberg 500 was on sale for $220 with the addition barrel (both 28" + 18"). With the 10% online coupon it is such a "steal"!

My damage for the day including tax was $240 + change. It was such a good deal that I can't want to pass. ;)

I know that I want to pass the "pump" before but I guess what I need to do now are:

Practice/shoot more
Don't shot double until I am really, really good :eek:
I guess when I build up my confident and experience, I can look into the more "expensive" and nicer shotgun. :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone's help again! :cool:

doitdave
10-19-2006, 7:10 AM
Congrats on the new toy. I also have been looking into a inexpensive skeet gun and this was a good thread for exactly that.

Have fun.

socalsteve
10-19-2006, 2:37 PM
A long time ago I worked at a trap club and guess what? A lot of people shoot better with a pump at doubles than with a semi!

The reasoning is that the action of pumping the gun makes for better eye hand tracking coordination. I know for myself I could shoot better when I had to pump between shots - something about pumping the gun and your left hand (if you are a righty) pointing at the target.

Try it pumps are not a handicap.

FrankG
10-23-2006, 4:38 AM
one thing nice about shooting a good o/u is that you can change the chokes to your liking....a skeet tube in the first and a tighter one in the second tube...for the longer target

ghettoshecky
10-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Nope, no REAL rules to follow with shotguns. The only rules that come to mind are the normal legnth rules (18" barrel or longer and 26" overall or longer for shotguns if I remember right), no pistol grip AND collapsable buttstock on SEMIAUTO shotguns, and no SEMIAUTO shotguns with removable magazines. OUtside of that you can get WHATEVER shotgun you want.

wait there's a pump/ removable mag shotty out there?