PDA

View Full Version : Tapco stocks - illegal?

sd1
03-02-2011, 8:12 PM
Greets all -

I'm extremely confused here on the gunstock laws..now I have tried to order a tapco t6 stock from 2 companies and both have said they wont ship it to california...which baffles me because when I went to ammo bros last week and looked at a sig sauer and colt ar15 22 cal rifles the sig had a folding stock and the colt had a collapsible one..wth?...is it truely illegal to purchase this stock or are they just giving me the run around? if it is legal does someone know of an online vendor or even a shop where I can order one please?..greatly appreciate any info..thank you

Mssr. Eleganté
03-02-2011, 8:33 PM
...now I have tried to order a tapco t6 stock from 2 companies and both have said they wont ship it to california...

Lemme guess...The Sportsmans Guide and Cheaper than Dirt?

Turo
03-02-2011, 8:43 PM
Lemme guess...The Sportsmans Guide and Cheaper than Dirt?

Lol!

Yeah sd1, both those companies feel it's their job to keep "dangerous folding stocks" and other "evil" things like pistol grips out of the hands of citizens of CA. They have extremely poor grasps of CA gun laws and have taken it upon themselves to make them up as they go along. I'm currently boycotting both places.

sd1
03-02-2011, 8:44 PM
actually it was budsgunshop and some place called getgear....they had the best prices i could fine online, any idea where I could pick one up at?

Peter.Steele
03-02-2011, 8:55 PM
actually it was budsgunshop and some place called getgear....they had the best prices i could fine online, any idea where I could pick one up at?

I actually got into it a little bit via email with Buds when I was looking for a good price on the Colt-Umarex Crane replica stock. It's not actually their policy, as I understand it. They don't actually have any physical stock on hand. They put in an order to their wholesaler, who then drop-ships it to the customer, with Buds' return address on the box. The wholesaler - who they would not confirm was Cheaper than Dirt, but I suspect it was - is the one who has the rules about shipping certain items to California.

I think it was Buds that I had that conversation with. Can't remember for sure ... it's been a while now.

UFO hunter
03-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Lol!
Yeah sd1, both those companies feel it's their job to keep "dangerous folding stocks" and other "evil" things like pistol grips out of the hands of citizens of CA. They have extremely poor grasps of CA gun laws and have taken it upon themselves to make them up as they go along. I'm currently boycotting both places.

Nah, it's the CA state legislature that feels it's their job to keep dangerous folding stocks and evil pistol grips out of the hands of citizens. They are the ones who created the clusterf*ck of failure that passes for gun laws in this state. I wouldn't blame an out-of-state merchant for not wanting to put up with it.

SupportGeek
03-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Nah, it's the CA state legislature that feels it's their job to keep dangerous folding stocks and evil pistol grips out of the hands of citizens. They are the ones who created the clusterf*ck of failure that passes for gun laws in this state. I wouldn't blame an out-of-state merchant for not wanting to put up with it.

I do, its their job to sell the item, not determine what I may or may not do with it after the fact. It would be like refusing to sell ammo to everyone because they MIGHT do something illegal with it.
Those items in and of themselves are NOT illegal to own or have shipped to CA. If I happen to place them in an illegal configuration on a firearm, it has NOTHING to do with the vendors at all.
There isnt even legislation prohibiting the vendor from selling those items to CA, only legislation how your firearm may me configured with those items specifically.

In this case its not the laws that are the problem, its the vendor trying to play policeman because clearly everyone in california will do illegal things with those shipped items. They just need to read the law or talk to one of our CGF boardmembers for clarification IMO

Izzy43
03-03-2011, 1:03 PM
I do, its their job to sell the item, not determine what I may or may not do with it after the fact. It would be like refusing to sell ammo to everyone because they MIGHT do something illegal with it.
Those items in and of themselves are NOT illegal to own or have shipped to CA. If I happen to place them in an illegal configuration on a firearm, it has NOTHING to do with the vendors at all.
There isnt even legislation prohibiting the vendor from selling those items to CA, only legislation how your firearm may me configured with those items specifically.

In this case its not the laws that are the problem, its the vendor trying to play policeman because clearly everyone in california will do illegal things with those shipped items. They just need to read the law or talk to one of our CGF boardmembers for clarification IMO

I see your frustration and feel your pain. As stated earlier, our legislatures and governors have enacted so many draconian gun/ammo laws that it is much easier for a vendor to just say no than try to keep up with our ever changing gun laws. Wish it were different but can't blame the vendor too much as their license is at stake and they seem to be unwilling to delve into our laws to find out what truth really is. They are more interested in not taking chances and processing orders that they feel have little or no risk. Makes good business sense to them and lousy service for us when we want to buy something.

sd1
03-03-2011, 5:58 PM
what about putting a fore grip on my stock also? cali going to moan about that also or is it legal?..last I read it was ok to have a foregrip on a rimfire 22 cal rifle....

Merc1138
03-03-2011, 6:02 PM
what about putting a fore grip on my stock also? cali going to moan about that also or is it legal?..last I read it was ok to have a foregrip on a rimfire 22 cal rifle....

Rimfire rifles aren't AWs unless they don't meet the overall length requirement, and that would make it an SBR. Note that the CA AW rifle laws all specify semi automatic centerfire.

Rimfire pistols on the other hand, aren't exempt from CA AW laws for pistols

supaoopa
03-04-2011, 4:10 PM
I ordered mine through amazon.com. shipped without a problem.

Burgher
03-08-2011, 3:13 PM
I ordered mine through amazon.com. shipped without a problem.

I just ordered the Tapco Intrafuse through Amazon for $93 and change with free shipping.

Ubermcoupe
03-08-2011, 8:05 PM
Lol!

Yeah sd1, both those companies feel it's their job to keep "dangerous folding stocks" and other "evil" things like pistol grips out of the hands of citizens of CA. ...

I assumed it's more inability to keep up and deal with CA's ridiculous gun laws?