PDA

View Full Version : Anybody familiar with the Beretta Carbine Kit?

SalfromCal
03-02-2011, 12:13 PM
According to the Beretta website, the U22 Neos Carbine Kit is to be use with the Beretta .22 pistols and now is approved for sale in California but with the following notice: "A rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches in length is classified as a “short barreled rifle” and must be registered as such with the ATF in accordance with the National Firearms Act."
But according to my local FFL Dealer, I can purchase the kit but can not be registered, mounted/put together or be used because is not allow in CA, not even for LEO's. So, what's the purpose of buying it:confused:...maybe to keep as a "Collector's Item"

http://www.berettausa.com/products/u22-neos-carbine-kit/

Bigdaa
03-02-2011, 12:15 PM
According to the Beretta website, the U22 Neos Carbine Kit is to be use with the Beretta .22 pistols and now is approved for sale in California but with the following notice: "A rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches in length is classified as a “short barreled rifle” and must be registered as such with the ATF in accordance with the National Firearms Act."
But according to my local FFL Dealer, I can purchase the kit but can not be registered, mounted/put together or be used because is not allow in CA, not even for LEO's. So, what's the purpose of buying it:confused:

To 'have' it.

Bartin
03-02-2011, 12:45 PM
my understanding is that since it is rimfire it just has to be at least 26" overall. However, converting it to carbine is fine but you can't legally convert it back to a pistol without an SBR, which removes most of the usefulness

Merc1138
03-02-2011, 1:39 PM
But according to my local FFL Dealer, I can purchase the kit but can not be registered, mounted/put together or be used because is not allow in CA, not even for LEO's. So, what's the purpose of buying it:confused:...maybe to keep as a "Collector's Item"

They warn people about that so they don't install the stock without putting the barrel on. The carbine kit comes with a long enough barrel. However as Bartin mentioned, you can't convert back to a pistol. According to the ATF you can make a pistol into a rifle, you cannot shorten a rifle barrel and stock to make a pistol.

Once a rifle always a rifle.

SalfromCal
03-02-2011, 4:32 PM
Now, that makes sense and easy to understand. A complete different explanation to what I was told at the gun shop. I guess not everybody knows or is familiar with these kits:rolleyes:

Turo
03-02-2011, 5:03 PM
A good idea for the carbine kit is to get a second Neos (seriously, they're what 250 bucks?) and permanently make it into a rifle. The carbine kit is very well balanced and extremely compact, not to mention ridiculously accurate.

The carbine kit has a 16 + 1/4 inch barrel. The notice is on there to let people know that they can't attach the stock at the same time as the pistol's original 4.5, 6, or 7.5 inch barrel. The carbine kit is perfectly legal to use to assemble a pistol into a rifle, you just can't convert it the other way.