PDA

View Full Version : Changing out a 10/22 barrel...

Ventura_Yak'r
03-02-2011, 5:35 AM
Long story short... I loaned my brother my 10/22 for the weekend. He returned it banged up. He dropped it resulting in a divet on the crown of the barrel.

So I'm contemplating picking up a Green Mountain barrel. My question is, How difficult is it to swap out barrels? Do I need to take it to an armorer?

Thanks in advance!

XDRoX
03-02-2011, 5:45 AM
Nope, you just take the old barrel off and put the new one in. So easy a caveman could do it. A bull barrel is .920" and not tapered like the factory barrel though. So you will also need a new stock or you will need to open up the factory stock to fit the new barrel.

Bigdaa
03-02-2011, 5:57 AM
Long story short... I loaned my brother my 10/22 for the weekend. He returned it banged up. He dropped it resulting in a divet on the crown of the barrel.

So I'm contemplating picking up a Green Mountain barrel. My question is, How difficult is it to swap out barrels? Do I need to take it to an armorer?

Thanks in advance!

"No more loans to your brother until he is well out of his diapers!

I have a stock Ruger 10-22 barrel as a replacement for you if you are interested. I live in Goleta. If you want it, you could drive up to my place and we could swap yours out for the one I got, and you are on the road. I'd do it all for $25.00, which includes the barrel, by the way.

Fjold
03-02-2011, 5:58 AM
Remove the stock
Using a 5/32 allen wrench, loosen and remove the two machine screws that tighten the V-block into the barrel at the front of the receiver. Remove the original barrel from the receiver by twisting and pulling.

Slide the new barrel into the receiver, (you might have to persuade it with a rubber mallet) line up and tighten the V-Block with the Allen screws. Install the barreled receiver into the stock.

I forget the torque value of the Allen screws but here's a video showing how it's done:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10994/guntechdetail/Installing_A_10_22_Barrel_

pro-nra
03-02-2011, 6:00 AM
Nope, you just take the old barrel off and put the new one in. So easy a caveman could do it. A bull barrel is .920" and not tapered like the factory barrel though. So you will also need a new stock or you will need to open up the factory stock to fit the new barrel.

:iagree: with what he said.
You only need to remove three bolts (one stock retaining screw and two barrel V-band Allen bolts). As XDRoX;5919506 if you have a factory stock and barrel on it now you will need a new stock that will .920" GM barrel. After you get it all done, save all the receipt and give it to you bro for payment.:D

Head416
03-02-2011, 7:19 AM
You only need to remove three bolts (one stock retaining screw and two barrel V-band Allen bolts).

Don't forget the barrel band! :D

Ledbetter
03-02-2011, 8:49 AM
Throw the barrel band away. The only tricky part (besides getting the torque right when you reinstall the bolts) is to line up the extractor slot perfectly.

CSACANNONEER
03-02-2011, 8:57 AM
If you get a new barrel and a new stock (if you are going to a .920" barrel, you'll need a new stock) and want some help, just ask. You are welcome to come out to my place, change out the barrel (and stock) and rezero your rifle afterwards. All, I'd ask in return is to have your old, dinged up barrel to give to 50BMGBOB for a non-10/22 project he's working on. He'll have to turn down the barrel and recrown it so, external condition isn't an issue.

pro-nra
03-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Don't forget the barrel band! :D

Sorry forgot about the barrel band.

50BMGBOB
03-02-2011, 2:25 PM
If you get a new barrel and a new stock (if you are going to a .920" barrel, you'll need a new stock) and want some help, just ask. You are welcome to come out to my place, change out the barrel (and stock) and rezero your rifle afterwards. All, I'd ask in return is to have your old, dinged up barrel to give to 50BMGBOB for a non-10/22 project he's working on. He'll have to turn down the barrel and recrown it so, external condition isn't an issue.

Sounds good to me! But be warned, you start with hopping up a 10/22, then you start building AR's and AK's, then move up to beltfed build parties, before long you are out of control. It is vary addictive!

trob
03-02-2011, 3:16 PM

Thanks in advance!

10/22's are like lego's....everything is bolt-on, bolt-off, and drop-in.....

but he could also get a sporter barrel, which i prefer a hell of a lot more. You still need to sand a little bit right in front of the receiver, but its easy. I like the 20" best

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/trob500/goodies1-1.jpg

gunn
03-02-2011, 3:23 PM
Simple trick to open up the barrel channel on a factory 10/22 stock.
Take a socket (I found the one that you use to install/remove spark plugs is the right size), wrap it in sand paper, and start sanding down the length of the factory stock barrel channel.

Stop when you can drop the barreled action into the stock and slip a business card between the stock and the barrel.

Free floated stock for <15 min of your time.
-g

nagorb
03-02-2011, 3:47 PM
While it CAN be as easy as others have posted, it CAN be a PITA. If its one of those rimfirecentral has a great tutorial.

Spyder
03-02-2011, 4:09 PM
50BMGBob, just what kind of project are ya thinking about with a 10/22 barrel? I've got a spare stainless one I've been trying to figure out what I want to do with. Was thinking smoothbore, like the old rabbit guns. Saw somewhere, someone, that takes old barrels and makes them smoothbore for the snakeshot rounds. Legality, I guess I'd have to research and make sure it doesn't turn it into a "shotgun that fires from a rotating cylinder" or some ridiculous thing like that...
Sorry 'bout the threadjack!

MongooseV8
03-02-2011, 4:45 PM
I have a GM 16" SS fluted barrel on mine and it shoots great. I say you use this as an excuse to start upgrading your rifle.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/turborscapri1984/100_0472-1.jpg

XDRoX
03-02-2011, 4:54 PM
We're posting pictures now? Nobody told me:D
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/gy2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/1022.jpg

CSACANNONEER
03-02-2011, 5:20 PM
Sounds good to me! But be warned, you start with hopping up a 10/22, then you start building AR's and AK's, then move up to beltfed build parties, before long you are out of control. It is vary addictive!

And, after belt fed, some real crazy people decide to dedicate two years and countless thousands on tooling to build a gun with multiple rotating barrels.

TKM
03-02-2011, 6:56 PM
Pull your barrel and send it in for a little work.

http://dearbornsguns.webs.com/ratesservices.htm

This guy is a big favorite with the rimfire central folks.

Your gun, your barrel. Just better.

50BMGBOB
03-02-2011, 7:46 PM
50BMGBob, just what kind of project are ya thinking about with a 10/22 barrel? I've got a spare stainless one I've been trying to figure out what I want to do with. Was thinking smoothbore, like the old rabbit guns. Saw somewhere, someone, that takes old barrels and makes them smoothbore for the snakeshot rounds. Legality, I guess I'd have to research and make sure it doesn't turn it into a "shotgun that fires from a rotating cylinder" or some ridiculous thing like that...
Sorry 'bout the threadjack!

I'm collecting old factory blued barrel for a pair of 22LR Gatling guns my brother and I are building, complete with artillery carriages.

But back to the subject, 10/22 barrels are easily changed.

nagorb
03-02-2011, 9:25 PM
I'm collecting old factory blued barrel for a pair of 22LR Gatling guns my brother and I are building, complete with artillery carriages.

But back to the subject, 10/22 barrels are easily changed.

You sir are awesome! If I hadn't sold my old bbl I would gladly donate it to such a worth cause:43:

Ventura_Yak'r
03-04-2011, 1:32 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice and guidance. As "Mongoose" said... I think this is a good excuse/opportunity for me to start tinkering w/ my stock 10/22. I use it just for plinking and casual target. Thinking about a new stock and barrel. "XDROX" I really like the stainless 10/22 you posted! Did you do the upgrades yourself? "CSA Canoneer" I may have to take you up on your offer.

Thanks again!

edgerly779
03-04-2011, 2:44 PM
i JUST SOLD MY 10/22 AND i BOUGHT A STAINLESS BARREL WITH A COMPOSITE STOCK TO PUT ON IT AND DON'T NEED IT NOW BARREL AND STOCK $60 BOTH ARE NEW. THE REAR SITE IS BROKEN ON BARREL BUT YOURS WILL FIT. 818 704-6701 edgerly7791@att.net

edgerly779
03-04-2011, 2:46 PM
pm sent I have a new stainless 10/22 barrel and black composite sporter stock for sale $60

rimfire17
03-05-2011, 9:56 AM
The barrel change is easy. Occasionally the new barrels are a very tight fit and require a little sandpaper smoothing to make them fit.

Like so many others here, I have a lot of left over 10/22 parts -- barrels, stocks, trigger assemblies. If anyone is interested in a good deal, I'll part with this stuff for cheap.

Peter.Steele
03-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Throw the barrel band away. The only tricky part (besides getting the torque right when you reinstall the bolts) is to line up the extractor slot perfectly.

Bah, even that's not too difficult.

I rebuilt my 10/22 over the summer. A friend of mine gave me a complete brand new unfired 10/22, sans receiver, and I did mix-and-match on all the small fire control parts, and used the new barrel and stock. The barrel slipped right in, and locking down the V-block lined everything up perfectly.

Since I already had the stock off, the barrel change took only about 5 minutes.

Mail Clerk
03-06-2011, 6:31 PM

Thanks in advance!

Ventura_Yak'r,

If I can do it you can.... I mean it dude. It's easy but bear in mine of you change the barrel you'll need a new stock to fit it. No need to take it to an gunsmith. All you need is a set of hex wrenches and a little blue loc-tite.

Mail Clerk

Toyman321
03-08-2011, 8:46 PM
Are you in Ventura County? or Ventura? Im in Simi if you need a hand or the tools.

skunk2uned
03-08-2011, 8:55 PM
I just did mine about an hour ago. Hogue Overmolded .920 Stock with Green Mountain 16" Bull Barrel. Took me about 20 mins from start to finish. Clean up and all. You wont have a problem. Really basic tool skills!