PDA

View Full Version : Need expert advice for an AR scope

shiv
03-01-2011, 1:46 PM
I'm in the market for a scope to put on my AR. I have never purchased a scope before (only eotech) and I am very new to this topic.
After lots of research I narrowed down my selection to the following scope;
1. SWFA SS 3-9x42 for $540
2. Vortex PST 2.5-10 for $599

The scope will be in a Larue SPR mount and used on my 16" ar, but eventually it will be on my SPR/Mk12 clone when finished. It's primary purpose will be paper and steel out to 500 or maybe 600 yards maximum using 75 and 77gr black hills(no hand-loads).

The SS and PST are both mil/mil scopes and the SS is also FFP. However, at the distances I mentioned(100-500yds), is FFP an advantage over SFP?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

uscbigdawg
03-01-2011, 3:33 PM
Contact Mike at CS Tactical (http://www.cstactical.com/) and tell him that I sent you. Give a hard look at the PST line of Vortex scopes, specifically the 1-4x or 2.5-10x.

Rich

shiv
03-01-2011, 4:44 PM
Thank you.

That 2.5-10 viper looks nice. It says that it has a glass etched reticle, but I'm un-familiar with glass etched vs. wire reticles. Are most high-end scoped etched reticles? This is the first time I've seen this feature stated.

uscbigdawg
03-01-2011, 5:45 PM
Mike's the man when it comes to scopes. He'd be the guy to answer that better than most.

Rich

shiv
03-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Looks like I'm going to get the SS

Hoop
03-03-2011, 7:53 AM
I would get the PST. The reticle is better and it is illuminated.

If you want the SS3-9 check over at sniper's hide for a used one, also try the discount code sshide I believe it is 60$ off retail. Good luck.

shiv
03-05-2011, 3:16 PM
Thanks Hoop.
What about the reticle is better (besides illumination)?
Have you had any experience with either or both of these scopes?
I have not ordered it yet so I still want to be sure I get the better piece of equipment.
And thanks for letting me know about the offer code, I was also aware of that $60 savings.

-Ryan

uscbigdawg
03-05-2011, 4:44 PM
I bought a SS on a whim. It's okay, but it was an impulse buy to see what all the hub-bub was. Played with the PST's last week and they smoke the SS.

Rich

shiv
03-14-2011, 9:48 AM
Well I bought the SS 3-9x this morning!
Very excited to try out my new scope when I get it.
After weighing the two I decided that the SS with its front focal plane was a better fit for me and the shooting I plan to do with it.
Thanks to those of you who offered input. I will post a thread with pics and my impression of the scope when I receive it.