PDA

View Full Version : Zen and the Milsurp rifle

KenpoProfessor
10-03-2006, 5:13 PM
Don't know about you guys but there is something calming about these things, I can't get enough for one LOL, and 2) is they really have an effect on my whole day. I can't wait to get home and clean her up and see if I got a diamond outta all that cosmoline LOL. Of course cking numbers and bores is OK at the store, but getting it all apart, seperating the wood from steel, and sanding it all down while watching Stargate are just some of my most relaxing times. How 'bout you?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

fal_762x51
10-03-2006, 5:53 PM
Yeah, milsurps have souls. AKA, do not Bubba them.

milsurplover
10-03-2006, 6:07 PM
...getting it all apart, seperating the wood from steel, and sanding it all down while watching Stargate are just some of my most relaxing times. How 'bout you?

This is EXACTLY what I love about milsurps! It is so much fun researching them, finding them at reasonable prices, taking them home to a quiet place in my house where I can be alone with them, fondling them, undressing them, cleaning them up real good, learning what makes them tick and respond to my touch, how they are put together, tweaking them and getting them to perform, putting them back together and storing them in a safe, warm and dry place - and then being able to have them nearby, holding them and looking at them every day! I love it!

When I was younger I was doing the same with motocross bikes, then in late 30's-few years ago - it was boats and fishing - now it's firearms with milsurps providing the most entertainment for me.

I love it!
=============

Limited10
10-03-2006, 6:23 PM
I hear ya' (Except about the sanding part)
The thrill of the find, the thrill of the research, then cleaning her up, and finally the thrill of taking her out to the range. :D
The prices are great (most of the time)and you have something that appreciates in value.

Much better investment of money and time then hookers and blow!

2006 has been a great year for finds too! Since Jan I've been fortunate to start serious collecting and added 11 rifles to the collection.

KenpoProfessor
10-03-2006, 6:25 PM
Yeah, milsurps have souls. AKA, do not Bubba them.

You know it's fun to Bubba an SKS, it's kinda the guy version of Barbie and Ken accessories LOL. I've got six and two of them are bubba'ed, but one I bought that way, the other, I bought in pieces on Gunbroker and Ebay LOL. The other 4, well, let's just say I have a few hours in them to make them look nearly unissued. BTW, those gas valves they have on Ebay for $5 plus $15 shipping are worth every penny. I've had to replace two so far and now all my SKS sing like they're supposed to, and are incredibly accurate for what I paid for them.

Nothing like getting a good deal on Milsurp ammo too, remind me, I gotta get some more 8mm LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

KenpoProfessor
10-03-2006, 6:30 PM
I hear ya' (Except about the sanding part)
The thrill of the find, the thrill of the research, then cleaning her up, and finally the thrill of taking her out to the range. :D
The prices are great (most of the time)and you have something that appreciates in value.

Much better investment of money and time then hookers and blow!

2006 has been a great year for finds too! Since Jan I've been fortunate to start serious collecting and added 11 rifles to the collection.

Yep, I took my bud out to shoot one of my new 24/47's, he nearly cried when he fired it, it almost took him out of his chair at the range LOL. I had to show him how to do it and hit the gong at 200m twice in a row, open sights. Dam I love these gun.

I've got an M48 that I pick up Sat. that is already cherry, but got it for a song and dance on Gunbroker. Click the link for the pictures and ridiculously low price LOL.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=56493853

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

RaceDay
10-03-2006, 7:17 PM
I couldn't agree more. I'm finally getting off my rear and sending in the green application form (had it since May). Milsurps are just so much fun. I think these old battle rifles just appeal to some basic "man gene" (not trying to sound sexist). They are inexpensive enough that you don't worry about making a mistake plus they were all designed to be field stripped 50+ years ago by the common conscript so they are typically a breeze to take apart and reassemble. There is nothing better than disassembling a rifle, seeing how it works, cleaning it up, putting it back together looking even nicer, and then taking it out to the range to see what shooting a [K98/Enfield/Mosin/etc] feels like.

Messing with mechanical stuff every day would pretty much be my dream job (vs. clickity-clack on a computer). The next best option is to do that as a hobby and that is exactly what the milsurp rifles let me do.

KenpoProfessor
10-03-2006, 7:29 PM
I couldn't agree more. I'm finally getting off my rear and sending in the green application form (had it since May). Milsurps are just so much fun. I think these old battle rifles just appeal to some basic "man gene" (not trying to sound sexist). They are inexpensive enough that you don't worry about making a mistake plus they were all designed to be field stripped 50+ years ago by the common conscript so they are typically a breeze to take apart and reassemble. There is nothing better than disassembling a rifle, seeing how it works, cleaning it up, putting it back together looking even nicer, and then taking it out to the range to see what shooting a [K98/Enfield/Mosin/etc] feels like.

Messing with mechanical stuff every day would pretty much be my dream job (vs. clickity-clack on a computer). The next best option is to do that as a hobby and that is exactly what the milsurp rifles let me do.

I get the best of both worlds, a job I love outdoors (heavy equipment operator), and a gun nut in the evening. I get to play with the real Tonka Toys all day and they pay me for it LOL. I gotta admit, I'm a Picasso on a CAT 420, 430, or Loader Cat 928,950. I'm a dirt arteeeest LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

M. Sage
10-03-2006, 7:40 PM
Ahh Milsurps. The rifles:

Reasonably accurate or better.

Usually pretty powerful.

CHEAP! (in most cases.)

Cheap ammo! (in most cases.)

And one of my favorite features - the bayonets! :D

Don't forget easy maintenance and stripping (I can disassemble my Mosin with nothing but the bayonet....). And they're usually built to last, so you doesn't feel bad taking it out to the range a lot.

There is nothing better than disassembling a rifle, seeing how it works, cleaning it up, putting it back together looking even nicer, and then taking it out to the range to see what shooting a [K98/Enfield/Mosin/etc] feels like.

You have to shoot one at a combat shoot, like tactical rifle. Then you REALLY know what it's like. :D

TonyNorCal
10-03-2006, 7:56 PM
+1 to everything above.

Your title 'Zen and the Milsurp rifle' is particularly appropriate as I feel the military surplus rifle is a totality of experience which goes beyond just shooting at the range.

What I find most intriguing is that each is a tangible piece of history...and tangible in the sense that it was held and carried by an individual...one you'll never know (unless of course you write to a K-31's former owner)...but there is still a connection.

Perhaps your 91/30 was carried across the frozen Steppes by a young Russian conscript. Perhaps your K98 was carried by a 50 year old man pressed into service during the defense of Berlin in WWIIs last days. Perhaps your Garand was carried ashore on Omaha Beach. Perhaps your M1 carbine was held close by a young GI shivering during those cold Korean nights.

Each is a connection to an individual...and also to a unique time and place. It's living history.

And as you collect your rifle becomes a vehicle, a gateway, by which you explore these events.

And aside from that they are *generally* inexpensive. Generally cheap to shoot. And of course the smell of cosmoline is simply sublime.:p

M. Sage
10-03-2006, 8:00 PM
Generally cheap to shoot. And of course the smell of cosmoline is simply sublime.:p

I love the smell of burning cosmo at the range. Smells like... perforated paper.

Limited10
10-03-2006, 9:23 PM
Quote from Tony [Each is a connection to an individual...and also to a unique time and place. It's living history.

And as you collect your rifle becomes a vehicle, a gateway, by which you explore these events.]

Tony,
That is the most eloquent statement I've yet to hear, regarding Milsurps.