PDA

View Full Version : Painting Mossberg 500 reciever and bolt

ElBandito
10-02-2006, 2:55 PM
Hey guys,
Im lovin my new mosberg 500, but im not too keen on the glossy finish on the reciever. I was wondering if ALUMA-HYDE II from brownells would be a good choice. Also would it be a bad idea to paint the bolt? I would just like to have everything matte black. I dont like sparkly things :D

oh and a pic
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/ChrisitoBandito/DSCN0223.jpg

just4fun63
10-02-2006, 3:39 PM
take a good look at the Dura Coat fininshes at Lawer custom weaponry. I'm not sure about the bolt though :cool:

metalhead357
10-02-2006, 4:43 PM
I've had goooood luck with Both Alumahyde Ii and Gun kote. Methinks IMO the gun kote's a little better for the internals as it seems thinner when sprayed.....but ya' do have to bake gun kote unlike Alumahyde.

NRAhighpowershooter
10-02-2006, 5:01 PM
I'd be tempted to parkerize the bolt.....

-hanko
10-02-2006, 5:06 PM
Gunkote will give you superior resistance to wear v. the other finishes mentioned. If you want duracoat, sherwin williams is the maker & Laurer (sp??) the repackager.

Defintely aggree with parking the bolt...too much movement to expect any finish to last.

-hanko

metalhead357
10-02-2006, 5:30 PM
my concern would be with the thickneseses described. What is the 'standard' result from a park job? IIRC gun gote is something like .04, or .004' thick.

EXTERIORLY the stuff seems to hold up well; would be interesting if anyone could do it here to run identical parts through the paces between the coatings mentioned and get off the advertising hype from each of thier respective makers.

ElBandito
10-02-2006, 7:28 PM
where can i get the bolt parkerized?

metalhead357
10-02-2006, 8:18 PM
hmmmm, down in San Mateo I'd give Imbert and smithers a call to see what they charge. Maybe Tabors?

Easiest route is probably gonna be to get the stuff and do it yer' self; Brwonells or Midway. But read up on the stuff as there's two basic types, Zinc and manganese phosphate.

I've known plenty of guys to do it, bought the stuff myself but still havent gotton a tank:cool: But ol' NRA_HPS has done it so he might have some better or even closer/better shops to mention than I.

wheelgunner
10-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I would recomend stay away from Imbert and Smithers. Their gunsmith just quit. I took my shotgun in for intermittent double magazine feed. I got my shotgun back missing shell latches, wrong screws in scope mount ruining mount. My Remington shotgun worked when I took it to them with occasional problems, now it doesn't work at all. Owner of Imbert and Smithers thinks that the extractor is welded to the receiver, what an idiot, owner doesn't know crap about guns. I contacted Remington to tell them of the problem with their so called authorised gunsmith. Just my 2 cents....

metalhead357
10-03-2006, 1:54 AM
:eek: GOOOOOOOOD God what's happened down there? They USED to be an awsome place? Whatt'd they do? Hire Fired monkey's from Springfield's XD production line????????

OK, I stand corrected. Avoid them:rolleyes:

-hanko
10-03-2006, 6:39 AM
my concern would be with the thickneseses described. What is the 'standard' result from a park job? IIRC gun gote is something like .04, or .004' thick.

EXTERIORLY the stuff seems to hold up well; would be interesting if anyone could do it here to run identical parts through the paces between the coatings mentioned and get off the advertising hype from each of thier respective makers.
Buildup is inconsequential from park...anecdotally, I've put together too many re-parked fals to worry about it; not like plating or anodize in that respect. Zinc gives you a grey finish, manganese park is dark grey to black.

Google Gunkote...a lot of testing is already on the web. Try Max's gunkote, I haven't used him but he has a great reputation.

hth

-hanko

ElBandito
10-03-2006, 2:39 PM
thanks for the replys guys. i think im sold on gunkote. ill post pics when i get it done. :D