PDA

View Full Version : My first shot at molding Kydex holsters

G-Solutions
02-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I bought a Walther P22 awhile back, with the thought in the back of my head that it would make a great gun to teach my kids to shoot handguns.

The first time my oldest son tried the gun he gave me a "yeah nice", handed it back to me, grabbed his Crickett out of the rifle rack and went back to letting steel ring at 50+ meters.

Since then, he's gotten quite a bit more interested in this little pistol. His handling skills are getting quite good and the thought crossed my mind to reward his efforts with a holster.

I had a strip of Kydex left under my workbench and no experience with molding complex shapes - time to change that!

Well, the gun survived the abuse of the hot Thermoplastic and it took me the better part of 90 minutes to figure out how to get the Kydex to form properly to the pistol.
It worked out OK - the pistol snaps in place with an audible "Clack!" and the tension is sufficient to retain it securely but light enough that my son can draw without ripping belt loops off his pants.

http://www.gebhardsolutions.com/images/2011-02-27_p22_holster-.JPG

The back had tape stuck to it from the template of a previous project. Note to self - remove that stuff immediately the next time around, otherwise it will look ugly.
Well, it's the side that faces towards the wearer - no harm here....

http://www.gebhardsolutions.com/images/2011-02-27_p22_holster.JPG

Any thoughts on this project that you guys out there would have done different?

Laser Sailor
02-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Was the kydex shiny to begin with or was it overheated? How did you heat it up?

Am only asking because I'm about to try kydex for the first time myself.

vwynn
02-28-2011, 1:09 AM
isnt shiny supposed to be inside?? and textured out? o_O

G-Solutions
02-28-2011, 4:31 AM
isnt shiny supposed to be inside?? and textured out? o_O

I cut the material accidentally the wrong way (asymmetrical "L") - shiny side in would have been a holster for a lefty.... :o

Heating was done with a basic heat gun.

G-Solutions
03-01-2011, 6:47 PM
OK a good friend offered to beta-test a holster for a Glock... I'll post pictures when I have the prototype done.