View Full Version : Moving from the East Coast

02-27-2011, 5:37 PM
Hi there everyone, wanted to drop in and say hi. I am moving from Massachusetts out to San Diego in about a month and figured I would join up here. Over here I have a CCW permit, an S&W M&p .40c, and a WASR-10.

I know that CA is even worse in terms of the laws compared to MA, but I would like to keep the hobby alive. I have a feeling that eventually getting a CCW in SD County would be out of the question (especially with that recent court ruling) but what kind of hoops do you need to jump through to even get a permit to buy / own / target shoot out there? Would I need to take additional training even though I have a MA CCW?

Thanks and good to be here!

02-28-2011, 5:57 AM
Welcome, you can buy most guns, there is the "roster" of guns that you have to be familiar with, there is also a nice wiki here to guide you, and there are shooting places that you can enjoy in the county...

02-28-2011, 7:11 AM

02-28-2011, 7:20 AM
You don't need permits to buy or own guns in California. Pay the money and wait ten days. For purchasing handguns you do need a Handgun Safety Certificate which is $25 and good for five years. You just take the easy test at a gun store.

02-28-2011, 8:52 AM

02-28-2011, 9:29 AM
Oh wow that's awesome... thanks guys. I really want to look into getting an S&W 686 as my next gun. I'll check out the wiki, and I'm sure I'll be showing up to some of those gun shows!

02-28-2011, 4:42 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

03-01-2011, 8:09 AM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

03-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Welcome aboard!

03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Welcome to Calguns. Moving from MAss to CA you wont be missing out on much.

03-13-2011, 9:44 AM
Sorry for the late reply - and yeah Colt, it doesn't seem like MA or CA allow much for the fun guns.

I do have a question though - I am thinking of bringing my M&P .40 compact, which would be CA legal, since it only holds 10 rounds. (It's only a thought because I'm wondering if it's too rude to ask our friends who are renting me a place on their property if I could bring it) From what I have gathered it would be perfectly legal to drive across the US with it locked and unloaded in my trunk, but when it gets to CA, would I have to register it there or something? Thanks

Big Jake
03-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Welcome to paradise!

03-13-2011, 12:42 PM
welcome to the forum.