PDA

View Full Version : Mosin m44 for hunting

crzpete
10-01-2006, 11:09 AM
whats the legal length of a bolt rifle in CA, I have a Mosin Nagant M44 just for hunting but I want to remove the front sight lug and cut the barrel just at the lug stop, this will make the rifle shorter by 2 +/- inches or so. Will this still be legal for hunting?

crzpete
10-01-2006, 11:11 AM
with the ATI stock total length is about 40 IN.

metalhead357
10-01-2006, 12:20 PM
You dont need to worry about a 'legal hunting length" you need to worry about Cali & Federal minimum lengths for the rifle as a whole. DONT GO BELOW 30 TOTAL INCHES....that would include the use of a folding stock when closed:cool: ((edited to add...there is also the minimum BARREL length of 16 inches that must be factored in there...))

Dont forget either FMJ is NOTTTTTTTT ok for hunting in Cali. you need Hollow point or Soft point (or solid lead). Russian stuff is ok in either Brwon Bear or silver bear brands in 54R.........

YMMV.

M. Sage
10-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't think there's a different lenght for hunting vs general posession.

The M44 should work just fine for hunting.

I wouldn't reccomend shortening the barrel, really. The M44 is plenty short as-is, IMO. It's also wasting some of the power potential of the 7.62x54R cartridge (as you can see by the huge fireball that's visible in broad daylight when you shoot it.)

Beware the ammo you buy, by the by. Ingmann 150 grain and Winchester Metric 180 grain are both copper-jacketed and should be fine (the Ingman kicks tail, power-wise, though.) But Wolf "Bi-metal" 200 grain SP and Brown Bear 203 grain SP are both jacketed in copper-washed steel. I don't know how good the expansion would wind up being. The Wolf stuff DID seem to expand Ok when I accidentally hit a 4x4 board with it (at least, it took a decent chunk of board with it), but no idea how it'd work on an animal.

crzpete
10-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Ok I'll keep the barrels length but any ideas on how can I fix the ugly tip ones you remove the sight lug.

this is how the barrel looks now. It really dose not bother me that much but if I can Iwould like to improve on the looks just a bit.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/mosinscoutrifle/graphics/l/2.jpg

M. Sage
10-01-2006, 1:18 PM
Could slide some kind of sleeve over it.

Blue
10-01-2006, 5:14 PM
Could slide some kind of sleeve over it.

With a fake can on it :D

M. Sage
10-01-2006, 6:46 PM

ROFL, that would look awesome!

You could always make a sleeve and flare the end so it'd be a flash-hider. :D

On second thought, that might not be a bad idea, considering the muzzle flash these things produce. Shooting in twilight could get interesting. :p

metalhead357
10-01-2006, 7:24 PM
I've oft wondered (but never looked) if someone doesn't make a FS for one of these things...... as the fireballs ARE FRIGGIN HUGE at dusk or night......

crzpete
10-01-2006, 8:43 PM

beer can Bud light :D to same some weight

RANGER295
10-02-2006, 2:50 PM
Check this for yourself before you cut a gun based on what I say, but if I remember correctly, 26” is the legal limit as far as the feds are concerned. This is the same in CA unless it is a semi-auto centerfire rifle in which case the legal limit is 30” or else it is considered an AW. So in the event that you wanted to put some kind of folder on an M-44 or cut the barrel down (no shorter than 16” on the barrel) you should be fine. Though a flash hider would be a good idea for that rifle. I never thought about it but I think I am going to make one for my M-38.

crzpete
10-09-2006, 8:52 PM
A simple problem for my esthetics dilemma but a basic hacksaw and some grinding and voila!!! done! total time 45 min except for the removing of the barrel's original blue and re-blueing, I took the time to remove all of the barrel bluing from the rear sight forward and re-blue all including the front sight (total time re-bluing about 2 ½ hrs) I ordered an extra lug just in case. You can see some of the grinding marks on the barrel and on the lug. A true cheap hunting rifle now.

M. Sage
10-09-2006, 9:05 PM
Well done. With the finish they came with from-arsenal, nobody will notice a few extra grind marks. :D

crzpete
10-09-2006, 10:19 PM
I know! ;)

metalhead357
10-29-2006, 7:28 AM
A simple problem for my esthetics dilemma but a basic hacksaw and some grinding and voila!!! done! total time 45 min except for the removing of the barrel's original blue and re-blueing, I took the time to remove all of the barrel bluing from the rear sight forward and re-blue all including the front sight (total time re-bluing about 2 ½ hrs) I ordered an extra lug just in case. You can see some of the grinding marks on the barrel and on the lug. A true cheap hunting rifle now.
]

Hey. Could ya'/ Would ya' let us know how this thing shoots (group wise) and impact wise when ya' make it out? I've heard many claim that even removing the bayo significantly changes the harmonics and POI on thses things. Please lettme know as I'd consider doing this to mine too;)

metalhead

762cavalier
10-29-2006, 12:36 PM
did you remove the front sight and bayo lug to grind it or did you do it while still on the rifle. If you removed it how hard was itto get the sight back in place

fal_762x51
10-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Please do not Bubba a mil-surp rifle. :mad:

guimus
10-29-2006, 12:55 PM

Yeah, dude, whatever you do, don't alter one of these limited edition rifles in such a way as to make it more usable. Don't you realize that there are only 300 million of these in circulation!!! It should be sitting in your safe.

762cavalier
10-29-2006, 1:05 PM
I won't be I have a polish barreled action m44 that I have accumulated mismatch parts for to make into a rifle. No bubbafying here;)

Mike 56
10-29-2006, 6:41 PM
Here is a link that might give you some ideas as well as some other interesting stuff. http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/brake/mnbrake.html Mike

metalhead357
10-29-2006, 8:30 PM
Yeah, dude, whatever you do, don't alter one of these limited edition rifles in such a way as to make it more usable. Don't you realize that there are only 300 million of these in circulation!!! It should be sitting in your safe.

LOL! Gotta ditto that one. These guns are not exactly collector by any means. But by ALL means- should ya' come across a trully collectable one- then yeah, Dont Bubba it!!!!!!!!!

BTW- interesting link for the muzzle extension.:)

crzpete
10-29-2006, 8:53 PM
Hey. Could ya'/ Would ya' let us know how this thing shoots (group wise) and impact wise when ya' make it out? I've heard many claim that even removing the bayo significantly changes the harmonics and POI on thses things. Please lettme know as I'd consider doing this to mine too;)

metalhead

The barrel was clamped on the vise and the lug was cut with a hacksaw, then smoothen on the bench grinder.
I’ve also heard of the same claims, but to be honest with you, my intentions for this rifle will not affect me at all. Many claims of same, poor or worst accuracy, personally, I just install a scope on mine and get the same groups as claimed on www.surplusrifle.com witch is all shots in the 10 ring @100 yards.

Look at a totally different rifle and caliber, the Marlin 60 .22 with the tube mag under the barrel attached with a supporting ring, some folks claim that will out shoot a Ruger 10/22? Now!, I have a 10/22 and is very accurate at 50 yards and with the right ammo very respectable at 100 yards? But don’t quote me on this one ok!:p

That’s the beauty of a cheap M44 surplus rifle, many, many spare parts and rifles out for sale. Personally I purchase a separate lug from Ebay and still have the original stock. Not to mention 1 more untouched m44, And possibly will purchase a 3rd one soon. Would like to get a M38.