PDA

View Full Version : Question about Marlin 783 22 magnum rifles...

Pigeon Pie
02-26-2011, 7:23 PM
So, I've recently acquired a Marlin Model 783 .22 WMR rifle (my first gun). I gave the thing a fairly thorough cleaning (chamber, bolt, stock and barrel), but its been misfiring a lot. At first I thought the problem might be with the ammo (Remington). I oiled up the gun some more, and that helped, but it still misfires too much for my liking. I suspect that the firing pin needs to be cleaned, but I cant completely disassemble the bolt to get to it. The Marlin owner's manual hasn't been much help, and I haven't been able to find any other resources that specifically say how to take out the firing pin.

So, my question is: does anyone know how to remove the firing pin from a Marlin 783 .22 WMR (or, any of the Marlin 780 series)?

RickyB
02-26-2011, 7:50 PM
If you don't get an answer here, they have (believe it or not) a Marlin Owners forum with guys who eat and breathe nothing but M's.

I know, who'd a thunked?......:D

Pigeon Pie
02-27-2011, 12:34 AM
If you're talking about marlinowners.com, I actually found that forum before I came here, but my registration hasn't been approved.

Ergo the Qualmed
02-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Ok, this may sound off topic, but did I just witness you fall victim to severe revenge in a game of Risk?

And, a punch from ace hardware...make sure that it is the biggest size you can get that is still smaller than the pin hole. (You must remove the firing pin retaining pin).

Also, do you or anyone else dry-fire the gun? On rimfire firearms, it can damage the chamber or firing pin. It is possible that if it has been dry-fired, that the pin tip has been damaged, leading to light strikes.

Izzy43
02-27-2011, 7:06 AM
Before you disassemble the bolt I suggest that you try some CCI Mini-mags instead of the Remingtons. Could just be the ammo. My Marlin 925M never misfires on CCIs but will on other WMR ammo. You also might try liberally spraying the bolt with brake cleaner to wash out any gunk that might be there instead of removing the firing pin.

Also go over to rimfirecentral.com and seek their guidance on your problem.