PDA

View Full Version : Anyone drink the Remmy 700 cool aid?

jaustin612
02-26-2011, 3:07 PM
Alright, I'm out of the country in a month, going to be gone for awhile, I'd like to pick up a remington 700 in 308 before I leave. I'll be getting a nightforce or USO optic for it eventually,

I've never done the bolt gun thing, But after getting an M1a I really am digging 308, and saw a badass 700 build at the range I was going to shooting sub moa on crap ammo, so I figured why not.

I'd like it to be good out to a 1000 yards, any recommendations on models? I don't care about the stock setup, I plan on getting an AICS stock for it eventually?

NapaCountyShooter
02-26-2011, 3:13 PM
If you're going to change everything about it anyway, get an SPS Varmint. 26" varmint contour barrel, good starting point. If you want to shoot it stock for a while, get a PSS or 5R model. A little nicer fit and finish and a much nicer stock, but about $300-400 more off the bat than an SPS.

707electrician
02-26-2011, 3:22 PM
I just picked up my SPS-v. Im getting the barrel cut and my brake installed this week and I will probably be ordering a B&C A5 stock for it as well

rojocorsa
02-26-2011, 3:41 PM
1000K capable? How about one chambered in .260 Rem?

jaustin612
02-26-2011, 4:04 PM
Hmm, never really looked into other calibers really, I'll be in another state when I come back so I was thinking about just manning up and getting a .50

Legasat
02-26-2011, 4:16 PM
I prefer the 5R for distance. They can be be a little hard to find, but they are well worth the effort.

Trapper
02-26-2011, 4:16 PM
If you want to stick with a military caliber go with a 5r in 308, if you want to go to 1,000yds with less powder, less recoil and good barrel life look onto one of the 6.5mm chamberings.
Shooting .50cal rifles is fun when someone else is buying the ammo but not so much when you have to buy or load your own.

supersonic
02-26-2011, 4:24 PM
I prefer the 5R for distance. They can be be a little hard to find, but they are well worth the effort.

YUP!:D

Shooting .50cal rifles is fun when someone else is buying the ammo but not so much when you have to buy or load your own.

Ummmm....have you ever loaded your own .50BMG/DTC? If you think handloading that caliber isn't PURE fun, then you just don't enjoy reloading anyway. Out of all the calibers I load, I look forward to the .50 the most. It is the easiest & there's NOTHING like seating that huge 700-grainer and holding your completed "rocket" with pride!:D

Bug Splat
02-26-2011, 6:42 PM
1000 yards is a bit too far for 308 to be effective IMO. Many will argue I'm wrong but the numbers don't lie. Sure the bullet will get there but with poor BC, the 308 drops fast and makes a poor 1000 yard round. There are many better rounds in short action for that range like the 260rem or 6.5x47 lapua. Personally I like the 6.5x284 but unless you reload (and enjoy it) that might not be for you. Maybe the 300 WinMag is for you. you can find it on any shelf in the US. 270 will also do 1000 yards.

Trapper
02-26-2011, 7:41 PM
YUP!:D

Ummmm....have you ever loaded your own .50BMG/DTC? If you think handloading that caliber isn't PURE fun, then you just don't enjoy reloading anyway. Out of all the calibers I load, I look forward to the .50 the most. It is the easiest & there's NOTHING like seating that huge 700-grainer and holding your completed "rocket" with pride!:D

No, I've never loaded my own .50cal ammo, but did shoot many belts of 50bmg at govt expense. I'm sure your 50dtc is alot of fun but there are less expensive ways to get to 1,000yds than spending $120 for a bag of brass and $2/per bullet.

Uriah02
02-26-2011, 7:47 PM
You reminded me I need to get a muzzle break for my 5R... Rem 700 isn't coolaid it is the real deal.

supersonic
02-27-2011, 6:52 AM
No, I've never loaded my own .50cal ammo, but did shoot many belts of 50bmg at govt expense. I'm sure your 50dtc is alot of fun but there are less expensive ways to get to 1,000yds than spending $120 for a bag of brass and $2/per bullet.

I had a feeling you didn't reload. And your figures are WAY off, man. You can go right on GB and find deals (like the one I did) for 4 boxes of 25 CBC/Magtech BMG brass cases (100 total) & a pack of 100 CCI #35 primers for $150. Now, if loaded and cared for properly, 100 pieces of this brass (which is very high quality) will just about outlast your rifle's barrel. I'm already on my fifth firing of a batch of 40 with zero signs of weakness yet. So you can see now how this brass is already starting to pay for itself, huh? And as far as bullets go, $2 is at the extreme end of the highest BC, bore-riding, custom match chamber, 800-grain, machined brass solids. I pay about $1.15 for 649 grain match brass machined solids that hit .5-.75 MOA all day. You can also get 649 grain milsurp ball projectiles for as little as $0.40/each. And powder? Hell, you can buy an 8-lb jug of WCC-860 for $70! So, in reality (which is far different than your assumptive figuring), once you buy a good lot of about 100 cases, you will pretty much only need to buy projectiles, powder & primers from then on. You end up with match-quality ammo that costs you about $1.75-$2.50 per round. And, again, 50 BMG/DTC is a joy to handload;)

Oooops, sorry for the threadjack fellas!:o

Beelzy
02-27-2011, 8:05 AM
Get an older PSS. ;)

RONIN.
02-27-2011, 8:40 AM
Rem 700 isn't coolaid it is the real deal.

+1 agreed

Bill Steele
02-27-2011, 9:25 AM
Alright, I'm out of the country in a month, going to be gone for awhile, I'd like to pick up a remington 700 in 308 before I leave. I'll be getting a nightforce or USO optic for it eventually,

I've never done the bolt gun thing, But after getting an M1a I really am digging 308, and saw a badass 700 build at the range I was going to shooting sub moa on crap ammo, so I figured why not.

I'd like it to be good out to a 1000 yards, any recommendations on models? I don't care about the stock setup, I plan on getting an AICS stock for it eventually?

I think you are on to something. I have been looking for a tricked out 700 or Savage action bench gun in 260Rem or 6,5 Creedmoor. I was at my FFL transfering a Smith revolver I just bought and found exactly what I was looking for in .308 sitting in his for sale rack. My FFL had a reasonable price on this tricked out 700 action beauty, so I pulled the trigger (after pulling the trigger) and bought it.

When I get tired of trying to push those 210gr VLD's out of that pretty fluted barrel, I will rebarrel it in .264.

Definitely the right track.

jaustin612
02-27-2011, 9:35 AM
Yeah I was never really into them till I saw one on the range with an aics stock and 5.5-22 Nightforce making multiple bullets go through one hole on the paper heheh.

I figure a 3 and a half grand setup would work out pretty well, optics included. So I'm leaning into a basic SPS, any place in particular to get the trigger work done? I'm thinking right around 4 lbs...

Trapper
02-27-2011, 9:38 AM
I had a feeling you didn't reload. And your figures are WAY off, man. [/I];)
I've been reloading for more than 30yrs, currently using a Dillon for my pistol calibers and an RCBS single stage for all of my rifle calibers. My figures were based on a quick search on-line at midway USA. I'm glad you were able to find deals on reloading components and glad you enjoy shooting your .50dtc. Now please excuse me while I go get another glass of that Remington 700 cool-aid.

Beelzy
02-27-2011, 9:58 AM
Yeah I was never really into them till I saw one on the range with an aics stock and 5.5-22 Nightforce making multiple bullets go through one hole on the paper heheh.

I figure a 3 and a half grand setup would work out pretty well, optics included. So I'm leaning into a basic SPS, any place in particular to get the trigger work done? I'm thinking right around 4 lbs...

My PSS did that right out of the box with Leupold optics and Federal Match ammo. ;)

supersonic
02-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I've been reloading for more than 30yrs, currently using a Dillon for my pistol calibers and an RCBS single stage for all of my rifle calibers. My figures were based on a quick search on-line at midway USA. I'm glad you were able to find deals on reloading components and glad you enjoy shooting your .50dtc. Now please excuse me while I go get another glass of that Remington 700 cool-aid.

Oh, ok. You have just never loaded the big fifty. And, as far as the Remington 'Kool-Aid,' you aren't alone! My 700 5r .308 is probably my favorite of all the rifles I own. And the most accurate. I sure wish Big Green would at least do a special-order/limited run of 6.5-284 or 6XC chamberings in the 5r rifle. THAT would be friggin' insane.:cool:

6mmintl
02-27-2011, 2:49 PM
Try a rem 700 in .223 with 1X8" twist and sierra 80's, better ballistics and accuracy then a .308 out to 1000. Cheaper to load aso.

Mikeb
02-27-2011, 3:35 PM

The 700 trigger is easy to adjust, 4 lbs is reasonable for a stock trigger. If you wanted a good safe 2 lb trigger I would get an after market trigger.
take care
Mike

Bill Steele
02-27-2011, 4:05 PM

I like lighter triggers, 2lbs is about right for me. I should be into mine for less than $3K including glass, but will likely get to your number by the time I get that .264 barrel on her. Great minds and all, NF glass will likely be the choice as well, although I am going to look around pretty carefully for this bit. I have a cheapy 6.5-20 Simmons that will get me shooting until I can decide on a proper scope for the beast. Looking at the NF Bench Rest jobs as well, for these old eyes, more is better.