PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a Pelican case

Baconator
02-26-2011, 9:09 AM
Now that I have acquired a few more long guns, I would like to get a case that I could use for them. I don't ever take all of them at once anywhere, maybe 2 of similar cartridge size at once. I know with the Pelican cases you can buy more than one foam set to take with you, which I think would work for me.
What do you have and what do you put in it?

uscbigdawg
02-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I have multiple 1750 cases and the largest load out for them was going to a 3-Gun match. Easily able to put my scoped AR, a Benelli M2 (with a 10+1 tube on it) and my pistol in there with no issues.

I usually got mine either at LA Police Gear or Cases 4 Less.com.

Rich

Baconator
02-26-2011, 11:24 AM
The 1750 is what I was looking at. Did you cut your foam or did you get the foam with room for them to sit on top?

uscbigdawg
02-26-2011, 12:50 PM
I cut the foam. I just laid where I wanted them to lay, traced them with a Sharpie and then cut out the foam with a utility knife. Took about 4 minutes per gun. I'll post a pic later.

Rich

WDE91
02-26-2011, 6:22 PM
If you carry different style of rifles
IE long range bolt gun or AR pistol

possibly consider a SKB case
check them out
they are also made in Orange,CA

Inkman
02-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I wish some folks could post some pics of their Pelican cases for handguns. I'm going to need one for a flight in May and looking online, there are so many styles and sizes that my mind just goes numb.

Maybe i'll start a thread for it. It needs to hold two 1911s and still fit inside a large suitcase for checked baggage.

Al

WDE91
02-27-2011, 4:14 PM
Inkman make sure you securely attach the handgun case to the bag
with braided cable or chain

TSA thug removes case and sends bag down the line

dont make things easy

tlillard23
02-27-2011, 6:59 PM
I am fairly certain that the 1750 is considered oversize (larger than 62") for the airlines. I would get the smaller one. I think most rifles will fit in th esmaller one.

Grakken
02-27-2011, 7:23 PM
Storm makes quality gear like Pelican as well. I like Storms latches better.

uscbigdawg
02-28-2011, 8:43 AM
I wish some folks could post some pics of their Pelican cases for handguns. I'm going to need one for a flight in May and looking online, there are so many styles and sizes that my mind just goes numb.

Maybe i'll start a thread for it. It needs to hold two 1911s and still fit inside a large suitcase for checked baggage.

Al

Al - I fly about 20 weekends out of the year for shooting. So...a decent hard case is all you need that locks. From there, place it in your luggage and ensure that your luggage locks (I use neon zip ties too).

DO NOT USE THE TSA LOCKS! THEY HAVE KEYS FOR THOSE AND YOU'RE NOT REQUIRED TO USE THEM!

I am fairly certain that the 1750 is considered oversize (larger than 62") for the airlines. I would get the smaller one. I think most rifles will fit in th esmaller one.

Depends on the airline and the airport. Southwest Airlines is by far the best airline to fly with guns. There ticket agents are well educated on what to look for and are exceedingly helpful. Plus, often times they still consider a rifle case as 'sporting equipment' (like skis) and don't count those as your bag. This is an OLD policy that I think is no longer in place, but you still get it every now and then from folks that have been with the company for a while.

The other majors (Delta, AA, etc.) are okay. Fill out your paperwork, throw it in the case and you're done. For the Alegheny Sniper Challenge, I only paid the oversize fee coming back. $25-50 (can't remember). Okay...you got me.

Biggest thing to remember is that if they take your firearm(s) into the secured area, that after their inspection, you absolutely have the right to inspect that the case still contains its contents and that it has been properly secured. Most airports have the TSA additional search area, outside the ticketing area and this is very helpful (and they seem to be nicer than the others). You can watch them conduct their search as well as ensure that your case(s) are locked and secured appropriately as well as watch it go back to the baggage handling area.

Tips to remember and think about. "Attitude gives you latitude". Being personable and approaching folks with a smile, asking them how their day is going, goes a long way to making the process smooth. If you're tired, grumpy, short or suspicious, odds are they are too and getting into a pissing contest over your rights isn't going to make the process any easier. Fake it 'til you make it (i.e. do the dance and do it with a smile) until the check is done and then go have a beer once you're through security (hell...I'll buy you the beer).

Airports to avoid. Sacramento International on Delta or American. The jerk-offs, will seize your case when it's coming up from the plane and not tell you about it until you ask. Then, when you ask about your case, it's not just as simple as confirming your identification, they...every time me, my friends or teammates have landed here, have a Sac County Sheriff come over and they start asking questions. More than a little annoying.

So...our rule of thumb is that if we have to drive a max of like 2 hours to get to our destination via Southwest, that's what we're going to do (only if I fly out of Sac because of the return). Oakland and SFO...ZERO issues with non-SWA carriers. Sacramento....a-holes and SWA rules!

Here's by bag that carries the pistol and gear (including range bag):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/uscbigdawg/DSC00931.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/uscbigdawg/DSC00932.jpg

What it looks like to the public:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/uscbigdawg/DSC00933.jpg

$40 bag at Target and I've beat the hell out of this thing. Rolling bag too, so it's nice when hauling 300+ rounds of ammunition. I use this and 2 other bags (depending on the load out for the match) and zero issues.

Hope that helped.

Rich

Inkman
02-28-2011, 5:05 PM
Al - I fly about 20 weekends out of the year for shooting. So...a decent hard case is all you need that locks. From there, place it in your luggage and ensure that your luggage locks (I use neon zip ties too).

DO NOT USE THE TSA LOCKS! THEY HAVE KEYS FOR THOSE AND YOU'RE NOT REQUIRED TO USE THEM!

Depends on the airline and the airport. Southwest Airlines is by far the best airline to fly with guns. There ticket agents are well educated on what to look for and are exceedingly helpful. Plus, often times they still consider a rifle case as 'sporting equipment' (like skis) and don't count those as your bag. This is an OLD policy that I think is no longer in place, but you still get it every now and then from folks that have been with the company for a while.

The other majors (Delta, AA, etc.) are okay. Fill out your paperwork, throw it in the case and you're done. For the Alegheny Sniper Challenge, I only paid the oversize fee coming back. $25-50 (can't remember). Okay...you got me.

Biggest thing to remember is that if they take your firearm(s) into the secured area, that after their inspection, you absolutely have the right to inspect that the case still contains its contents and that it has been properly secured. Most airports have the TSA additional search area, outside the ticketing area and this is very helpful (and they seem to be nicer than the others). You can watch them conduct their search as well as ensure that your case(s) are locked and secured appropriately as well as watch it go back to the baggage handling area.

Tips to remember and think about. "Attitude gives you latitude". Being personable and approaching folks with a smile, asking them how their day is going, goes a long way to making the process smooth. If you're tired, grumpy, short or suspicious, odds are they are too and getting into a pissing contest over your rights isn't going to make the process any easier. Fake it 'til you make it (i.e. do the dance and do it with a smile) until the check is done and then go have a beer once you're through security (hell...I'll buy you the beer).

Airports to avoid. Sacramento International on Delta or American. The jerk-offs, will seize your case when it's coming up from the plane and not tell you about it until you ask. Then, when you ask about your case, it's not just as simple as confirming your identification, they...every time me, my friends or teammates have landed here, have a Sac County Sheriff come over and they start asking questions. More than a little annoying.

So...our rule of thumb is that if we have to drive a max of like 2 hours to get to our destination via Southwest, that's what we're going to do (only if I fly out of Sac because of the return). Oakland and SFO...ZERO issues with non-SWA carriers. Sacramento....a-holes and SWA rules!

Here's by bag that carries the pistol and gear (including range bag):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/uscbigdawg/DSC00931.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/uscbigdawg/DSC00932.jpg

What it looks like to the public:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/uscbigdawg/DSC00933.jpg

$40 bag at Target and I've beat the hell out of this thing. Rolling bag too, so it's nice when hauling 300+ rounds of ammunition. I use this and 2 other bags (depending on the load out for the match) and zero issues.

Hope that helped.

Rich

EXCELLENT!!!!

I've read countless threads on countless forums about flying with guns and there is sooooo much he said/she said that it's hard to filter out the reliable info. I'll take your words as GOLD.

Hoping i can use one bag for everything, but if not i'll just pay the extra bag fee and feel good knowing my "regular" range bag is with me on the trip too.

And yes, i'll be securing the gun case (whichever i decide on) to the inside of the luggage bag.

Thanks tons Rich!!

Al