PDA

View Full Version : Too lazy to build or convert. Anyone know of a good AK for around $400?

vintagedude88
02-25-2011, 10:01 PM
I've already got three Saigas, two of which were converted by myself the third was bought converted from another Calgunner (thanks 69mach1). They are the 12ga, .308 and the .223 Now I want to add a 7.62x39 to the mix.

I figure that with so many fully featured AKs out there, maybe I can pickup one quite inexpensively without the hassle or the cost of converting a Saiga or building from a kit.

How about those WASRs? Turners had those single stack ones for about $400. Is it really hard to open the magwell to accept double stacks? I've also seen a few other AKs in the FS forum for about the same price. Are there any AKs I should watch out for to avoid?

Also, if you have a strong arguement for building or converting, I'd like to hear it.

sevensix2x51
02-25-2011, 10:06 PM
you could wait for one of these to come back in stock.

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Century-Certified-AK47-with-bayonet-and-pouch-50p10.htm

ive never used one of these rifles, but i have bought from henderson at least a few times, and they are great people.

SarahKC1987
02-26-2011, 1:19 AM
I feel like $400 isn't very much for a gun of any sort??

johnthomas
02-26-2011, 2:03 AM
I laughed, I cried, Thanks for memory, lol.
I think a self built good AK will run more than that.

RealBarber
02-26-2011, 9:57 AM
get a wasr, despite what you might read on a lot of forums theyre great rifles

Cali-Shooter
02-26-2011, 10:02 AM

This. $400 is not likely to get you anything better than a WASR.

sevensix2x51
02-26-2011, 10:09 AM
$400 could get you one hell of a 10/22... :shrug:

xxINKxx
02-26-2011, 10:34 AM

+1

I have 3 wasrs, every one of the are absolutely perfect, function great, and shoot accurate. Just make sure to inspect them befor hand.

I haven't seen wasrs in low 400$ for CA legal version, more close to 500$ befor tax and dros.

I got mine in AZ (being a az resident) J&G had them for 389$. The one I got last weekend was 409$ but its sweet, shot a few hundred rounds out of it and not a single hiccup.

vintagedude88
02-28-2011, 5:27 PM
This looks like a good deal. Are these any good?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct962.aspx

jaustin612
02-28-2011, 6:33 PM
Just be aware that any online deals usually cost about 80 bucks to ship and transfer the gun to a cali dealer, most of the time you'll wind up paying a bit less by just buying local.

HK Dave
02-28-2011, 6:42 PM

You must be filthy rich. :)

$400 will buy you something like 1/4th of the guns made in this country...

Whatever happened to the days you could buy an SKS for $100? :(

cmace22
02-28-2011, 7:00 PM
You must be filthy rich. :)

$400 will buy you something like 1/4th of the guns made in this country...

Whatever happened to the days you could buy an SKS for $100? :(

Maybe true but there is a lot of crap in that 25%

Those days of the 100 SKS are long gone.

zfields
02-28-2011, 7:55 PM
Another saiga : /

nicknuke7
02-28-2011, 8:52 PM
I know this isn't $400, but anyways, I might get one of these sometime in the near future:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct947.aspx

vintagedude88
02-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Inter Arms, Inter Ordinance (IO), Century Arms, TGI........ etc. Who's good and who's bad?

bubbapug1
02-28-2011, 10:56 PM
watch the firearm marketplace on calguns. They show up from time to time

Cali-Shooter
02-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Inter Arms, Inter Ordinance (IO), Century Arms, TGI........ etc. Who's good and who's bad?

TGI's are good, if you can find em. I have a TGI AK-74, it has a chrome lined barrel and is pretty light. Lancaster AK's are ok too, from what I heard, except the company has a crappy reputation (business-wise). WASR's are OK at best, they make good 'beater' ak's. Stay away from IO Casars.

If you want something better quality, save up 300 dollars more and get an Arsenal, or, buy a parts kit and hire an AK smith off of here.

vintagedude88
03-02-2011, 9:41 PM
Maybe I should just convert another Saiga.

Would a Saiga build yield me a better rifle? Or is an AK just an AK and it all doesn't make any difference even with a WASR?

Spetsnazos
03-02-2011, 9:53 PM

my friend has one and its constantly jamming. I have a feeling he just got a bad bunch but you never know. Also he bought some crappy mags, the springs are way too soft and dont hold up to the job

ENTHUSIAST
03-02-2011, 9:54 PM
Maybe I should just convert another Saiga.

Would a Saiga build yield me a better rifle? Or is an AK just an AK and it all doesn't make any difference even with a WASR?

Saiga is better than a WASR.

Saigas are built in Russia on old school Russian AK making equipment by the country that invented the platform.

WASRs (Romanian) are NOTORIOUS for canted sights and various other quirks I seen 2 in a row that the bolt carrier wouldnt even chamber a round correctly BRAND NEW out of the box. Other WASRs have no issues and run just like an AK should.

Never heard of ANY lemon Saigas... EVER.

ZX-10R
03-03-2011, 6:36 AM

This...This site puts the yuk on WASRs but not many others - Look at the responses here...My friend this or that. Join an AK forum of any sort and you will see people owning multiple WASRs. Heck I am on a quest to get another WASR.

My WASR is pretty accurate with Steel sight however, my early right eye cataract (no lie) are killing me out to 100yrds. At 50Rds I can blow out the bulls no problem. I added parts to my WASR out to fit me comfortably - VTLOR adapter, MOE stock from my DD, Magpul AFG, Kalinka BP-02 low scope mount, and US Palm grip. Just ordered the last two stuff. It was with those tweaks that it felt so much better - it is my gun and not out to win popularity contests...I don't need that for sure. The WASR is underrated and frowned on by people not so in the know - however that was them not looking over the gun they bought before they bought it.

$400 is cheap...You have a home in a free state like WA, OR, etc. Where you can order one online for $349, pay fees and still come out under $400? That is what I paid for my first WASR years back.

Get a WASR and smile and go to a site that is AK specific.

ZX-10R
03-03-2011, 6:45 AM
+1

I have 3 wasrs, every one of the are absolutely perfect, function great, and shoot accurate. Just make sure to inspect them befor hand.

I haven't seen wasrs in low 400$ for CA legal version, more close to 500$ befor tax and dros.

I got mine in AZ (being a az resident) J&G had them for 389$. The one I got last weekend was 409$ but its sweet, shot a few hundred rounds out of it and not a single hiccup.

This is another great response compared to the people who "think" they know it all about WASRs.

Some people on AK specific sites will have multiple WASRs.

As for some people slamming the WASRs here...Just take it for what it is and not much else.

Cali-Shooter
03-03-2011, 8:18 AM
If you get a WASR, I recommend that you get one locally so that you can inspect it to make sure that everything is well put together and that it functions well. That's what I would do. There are plenty of WASR's in the CGN Marketplace as well. Shop around.

FeuerFrei
03-03-2011, 9:41 AM
Henderson has a good guarantee/certified and will ship you a good functional WASR 10/63. I have several and have done nothing to them in the form of tweaking to get them to run right. Plug and play.
:13: