PDA

View Full Version : Sig 516 Patrol or 516 Basic Patrol?

mikehenry
02-25-2011, 8:35 PM
So I am planning on getting a 516 but I am not sure what model to get. I can get the Basic Patrol model for about $300 cheaper then the Patrol model. Can anyone tell me the differences? All I can really see is that there is only a very short picatinny rail on the basic patrol. I am new to rifles so any help that you can give me would be great.

richzmn
02-25-2011, 9:11 PM
If you want to add a forward grip, lights, etc. then you'll probably want the model with the rail. The model with the plastic handguard will be lighter. You can add plastic rails for lights or forward grips to the plastic handguard model also.

Check out riflegear.com or gunbroker.com.

Ak707
02-25-2011, 9:36 PM
its the same just a quad rail or a plastic hand guard...i got the patrol version with the quad rail.

mikehenry
02-25-2011, 9:49 PM
Do you think the quad rail is worth the extra $300?

Ak707
02-25-2011, 11:37 PM
It looks cooler than the plastic rail and it meshs well with the front gas block. The top rail and the rail on the gas block are on the same plane. I dunno if other rails will match up as clean as the one it comes with.
My opinion on the basic patrol is the gas block looks ugly and out of place sitting in front of the plastic hand guard.