PDA

View Full Version : Help building a CA Legal AR-15.

SWAT326
02-25-2011, 6:53 PM
I want to build a CA Legal AR-15. I was going to buy the Bushmaster CA Legal rifle, but I didn't like the "internal magazine". I need help building one, BIG TIME! I don't even know where to start. I just want a CA Legal AR-15, bullet button, collapsable stock, flash hider, etc...you know the usual on a AR-15.

How do I even get the parts? Do they have to be shipped to a certified dealer?
Any help appreciated!

jasonnorcal
02-25-2011, 6:59 PM
Only a stripped lower receiver ( OLL ) needs to be shipped\bought from a dealer ( FFL )
Everything else can be shipped to your house:thumbsup:

RRichie09
02-25-2011, 7:03 PM
Start by building the lower.

Buy a lower receiver from your local gun store.

Then you need:
Lower Parts Kit
Buttstock and Receiver Extension Kit
Bullet Button (needs to be installed before attaching upper, I would just install it along with the lower parts kit)

Now you need the upper.
Barrel needs to atleast 16". You can just get a 16" or a 14.5" and pin and weld a muzzle device that is over 1.5" long.

Will you be building the upper as well?

railroader
02-25-2011, 7:07 PM
I think Condor gun shop in desert hot springs has stripped lowers. Once you get the lower you can order complete rifle kits sent to your house or you can piece it together. Building a rifle is relatively simple. On the top right corner of forum is the OLL Assembly Guide which you can follow to assemble your lower.

Baconator
02-25-2011, 7:16 PM
Grown up lego's man. Keep an out out for all the parts and pieces you want to buy when they are for sale.

smirnus3000
02-25-2011, 7:51 PM
I picked up my mega lowers on Tuesday at Condor in DHS, I over heard them saying they where out of stock on lowers. So maybe just call to see what they have. They are a very easy to deal and will help you get pointed in the right direction.

dieselpower
02-25-2011, 8:15 PM
buy the lower
Buy the BB
Buy the Lower Parts Kit
Buy the Stock
watch this twice part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w&feature=related) Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M&feature=related)
Then follow along building yours, pausing at each step. Install the BB not the normal mag release.
Buy a upper

slap them together

Don29palms
02-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Condor is a great shop to deal with. They are good people.

RRichie09
02-26-2011, 7:03 AM
If you get a Mega lower, get a Mega upper and build it. The fit between the Mega upper and lower is perfect and finish is even more perfect.

To build an upper you need:
Stripped upper
Ejection Port Assembly
Forward Assist Assembly
Barrel
Bolt Carrier Group
Muzzle Device (Flash Hider or Brake)

Then it depends what you want
Regular upper with regular handguards
Free Float upper with FSB
Free Float upper with low profile gas block (recce-style)

Look through all the pictures and let us know what you want.

sssbbbubba
02-27-2011, 7:34 AM
I want to make sure that it is not legal to have a complete lower shippped to a california ffl

dieselpower
02-27-2011, 7:49 AM
I want to make sure that it is not legal to have a complete lower shippped to a california ffl

so go ask the FFL you are having it shipped to...maybe the FFL has one sitting in his case.

GO ASK THE FFL.

LeatherNuts
02-27-2011, 9:49 AM
I definately suggest dealing with Condor, I'm having my Spikes Zombie stripped lower (and Saiga) shipped to them right now for my first build. There has never been a time that I have either called or gone down there that they made me feel as though they were too busy to answer my questions. Very friendly, very knowledgable and easy going. As I mentioned starting my first build as soon as parts arrive, I went the easy route for my first and bought a "rifle kit" from Del-ton. I've heard nothing negative about them other then the fact that they're not BCM, but for a first build I'm ok with that.

Cokebottle
02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
You can ship many lowers into California through an FFL, but that is going to cost you an extra $75-$150 for the transfer fee.
The lower is the legally defined "firearm" and can not be shipped to your door.

Furthermore... buying out of state and having it shipped in, you have to be careful and avoid attempting to buy any of the lowers listed in the Kasler or Roberti-Roos banned lists, shown on the flowchart: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, etc... are all banned with limited exceptions.

Buying over the counter from a shop like Riflegear, you can get a JD Machine lower for around $135 out the door... tax, DROS, etc.
Yes, the 10 day wait applies.

scfast
02-27-2011, 1:40 PM
If the complete lower does not have a BB installed then no it cannot be shipped to the FFL (unless they hold an AWDP and are selling to Qualified persons) But a complete lower with a BB installed can Be shipped no problem.

Don29palms
02-27-2011, 1:53 PM
If the complete lower does not have a BB installed then no it cannot be shipped to the FFL (unless they hold an AWDP and are selling to Qualified persons) But a complete lower with a BB installed can Be shipped no problem.

WRONG! You can have a complete lower without a bullet button shipped to an FFL if they will accept it that way. It seems a lot of FFL are requiring you to purchase a bullet button at the same time though.

If you go through Condor gunshop for an out of store purchase they charge $70 which includes the DROS.

I buy my JD Machine lowers from SOG Armory for $89.95 and have them ship a bullet button with it. You pay shipping but no sales tax. CLICK HERE! (http://www.sogarmory.com/Products.aspx?CatId=173) (SOG Armory lowers are also made by JD Machine)

Cokebottle
02-27-2011, 2:11 PM
Don is correct.
The BB is not required unless or until a semiautomatic centerfire upper is installed onto the lower.

A completed lower could be built with a .22lr upper and it would not need a BB.
A completed lower could be built into a featureless configuration and it would not need a BB.

These two lowers did not need a BB installed at the time these photos were taken....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=87623&stc=1&d=1298848099
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=87624&stc=1&d=1298848261

Cokebottle
02-27-2011, 2:16 PM
You pay shipping but no sales tax.
The BOE has been clamping down and most FFLs are now charging sales tax at the time of transfer.

Those that don't are going to be in for a nasty surprise, as the state is charging them.

Tax is due on the amount of purchase.
Tax is due on the FFL transfer and DROS fee if the sale itself is taxable, therefore, FFL transfer from an individual on a used gun = no tax due. FFL transfer on a new product or one bought from a dealer = tax due on purchase and FFL fees.

The old days of skating on Ca sales tax are gone. The BOE would have a difficult/impossible time enforcing sales tax on all online/mail order purchases, but since firearms transfers have to go through an FFL, that is one area where they have 100% enforceability.

bartt
02-27-2011, 2:59 PM
Don't forget the tools you'll need to assemble your upper. You'll need a barrel wrench, bench vise and the blocks to hold the upper in the vise. A nice set of long punches help to align ports also. I probably forgot to mention a couple of things....
HTH..