PDA

View Full Version : Is a flat panel TV worth fixing?

zatoh
02-25-2011, 4:19 PM
My kid just broke our 3 year old 46" Sony flat panel TV. Did a forehead plant into the screen. Now all it displays is an illuminated crack radiating from a central point. Quite pretty actually. He gets a "little" excited sometimes.

Is this TV worth fixing?

Breadfan
02-25-2011, 4:22 PM
Time to go tv shopping

oddjob
02-25-2011, 4:24 PM
When I was at Costco shopping for a TV I asked this question. The two TV folks told me no. Dump it and get a new one. They even told me not to buy the ones they had for sale at the time. Both told me to get a LED TV because it ran cooler and lasts longer.

Robidouxs
02-25-2011, 4:29 PM
I just replaced a failing LCD screen with an LED screen. Wow is all I can say; great color and contrast. Go for it, you will thank me later.

510GUY
02-25-2011, 4:37 PM
It will probably cost the same to buy new than to fix it ,go new and go bigger if you can

killathrilla
02-25-2011, 4:41 PM
Next time mount the tv on the wall away from the little ones as this will eliminate the issue and allow for 10+ years of enjoyment

Yugo
02-25-2011, 4:43 PM
I install these for a living and am best friends with a electronic repair shop, I brought him a broken screen on a 32" and said can we fix it, He laughed at me then took the tv and through it in his dumpster (i took it out to sell off the other parts, boards, wires etc.) so I hope this answers your question.....PM me and I can give you a great price on a new one I am Authorized dealer for every major brand. Just give me a model number and I will get you a price. I can ship as well. That goes for anyone just send me a message and I will give you a fellow CG discount. (wink wink).

Kodemonkey
02-25-2011, 4:43 PM
Just so you all know, a LED TV is just an LED backlight instead of a cold cathode fluorescent tube. It's still an LCD TV. The LED backlight just allows the TV to be slimmer. To be honest, the white LEDs that exist today do not provide as full a spectrum of white light that CCFLs can produce. Also, be aware that some of them are sidelighted instead of back lighted. If they don't execute the lighting correctly, over time you will have a dead band in the middle as the LEDs diminish in output.

Backlight life might be longer on an LED theoretically, but to be honest by the time your backlight goes out on an LCD panel you will be in the market for something new.

Yugo
02-25-2011, 4:46 PM
Just so you all know, a LED TV is just an LED backlight instead of a cold cathode fluorescent tube. It's still an LCD TV. The LED backlight just allows the TV to be slimmer. To be honest, the white LEDs that exist today do not provide as full a spectrum of white light that CCFLs can produce. Also, be aware that some of them are sidelighted instead of back lighted. If they don't execute the lighting correctly, over time you will have a dead band in the middle as the LEDs diminish in output.

Backlight life might be longer on an LED theoretically, but to be honest by the time your backlight goes out on an LCD panel you will be in the market for something new.

kind of! if you get a led TV look for a full panel not edge lit. And as far a WHITE's they are not as important as the BLACK's.

Cokebottle
02-25-2011, 4:51 PM
Not worth it.

If you don't have the original packaging, it's going to cost you $200 for a new box.
Add $400 for truck-freight shipping both ways and you're at $600... and they haven't even taken it out of the box to repair it yet.

The LCD is the most costly item in the unit... and TVs are generally no longer modular where a "board" can be swapped out to effect a repair.
Component-level repair at the commercial level has been a lost art for 20 years. It is simply too costly to pay a tech that actually has training to spend the time on the bench to troubleshoot and repair a $2000+/- device.

Yugo
02-25-2011, 4:53 PM
^ what he said!

Kodemonkey
02-25-2011, 4:54 PM
kind of! if you get a led TV look for a full panel not edge lit. And as far a WHITE's they are not as important as the BLACK's.

Yeah, but the color is rendered through that white light. I am going to make an assumption here that higher CRI is going to show better color in a backlit LCD panel. I know it makes a heck of a difference in forward lighting stuff. Higher CRI stuff (>85 is what I am talking about) is more difficult to get done with the conventional blue LED with yellow phosphor. It can be done with RGB LEDs but I guarantee they don't use those in TVs.

Which Way Out
02-25-2011, 5:01 PM
Wow if only you could a picture on the screen at the range. Can you say Target !!!!!

Merc1138
02-25-2011, 5:04 PM
If it's the electronics that went bad, sometimes you can fix that(fix it yourself if you're capable) for less than the cost of a replacement. Physical damage to the screen? Buy a new one.

Yugo
02-25-2011, 5:29 PM
Wow if only you could a picture on the screen at the range. Can you say Target !!!!!

not a great idea, cause it will let out mercury just like batteries you dont want to through them in the trash they should be disposed of correctly. FYI

Sheepdog1968
02-25-2011, 5:49 PM
You really need to price it out. Otherwise it's just guess work. Also, you might send it in to get fixed (might be able to deliver it to a local branch of the business) and they may just send you a newer unit.

KaLiFORNIA
02-25-2011, 6:02 PM
I bought a LG 42 inch flat screen. I got the extra warrenty! It started having red pixilsin the right top corner... after about an hour or so. The longer the tv stayed on, the larger the red spot got. The repair guy came to my house and replaced everything he could,he put over 5,000$ worth of parts into at that time a 2,200$ TV.Go TV shopping, Sony is good, so is Samsungs new super thin tv. DONT GET 3D that needs glasses, they already have 3D TV's that dont need the glasses....

E81
02-25-2011, 8:53 PM
Get LED, you can hang it on the wall with a picture frame string (the metal ones). Its pretty light and very thin! What the guys are saying is right, they are brighter, better colors, less electricity to run, runs cooler, and will last longer. The prices are coming down a lot on them too. I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend, then you can hit up YUGO for the hook up! :)

Merc1138
02-25-2011, 8:58 PM
BTW, be aware that there are two types of LED tvs.

Standard, which just replaces the CCFL lamp from a normal LCD screen with LEDs. These use a little less electricity, and do not provide a superior image to a normal LCD tv.

Local dimming. These are the models with an array of LEDs that sit behind the LCD panel or around it. It allows sections of the screen to be dimmed when those portions of the screen should be darker. The result is blacker blacks, and less of a halo effect around a colored area against a black background.

Which Way Out
02-25-2011, 10:14 PM
not a great idea, cause it will let out mercury just like batteries you dont want to through them in the trash they should be disposed of correctly. FYI
Buzz kill, but your right damn

Mohawk
02-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Sony is good, so is Samsungs new super thin tv. DONT GET 3D that needs glasses, they already have 3D TV's that dont need the glasses....

If your after a Samsung you better do it quick,., Samsung is going CI exclusive and will no longer be sold at general retail level. No more Best Buy or Costco., Once the 2010 models are gone youll have to come to people like me (and Yugo apparently., Greetings fellow Tech ;) ) to get them., They are outstanding displays though. Shop around., the 2010s are going for dirt cheap.

Yugo
02-26-2011, 12:35 AM
If your after a Samsung you better do it quick,., Samsung is going CI exclusive and will no longer be sold at general retail level. No more Best Buy or Costco., Once the 2010 models are gone youll have to come to people like me (and Yugo apparently., Greetings fellow Tech ;) ) to get them., They are outstanding displays though. Shop around., the 2010s are going for dirt cheap.

Hey buddy...yeah hes right......(personally I dont like samsung they are too vivid. LG is my thang but thats just me. I have a LH90 FULL panel led still the best picture to this day) try to find a full panel not edge lit like I stated before.

Satex
02-26-2011, 1:50 PM
My kid just broke our 3 year old 46" Sony flat panel TV.

Time to put the kid up for adoption. JUST KIDDING!

RRichie09
02-26-2011, 3:09 PM
Take the TV to the shooting range!!!

kperry
02-26-2011, 7:24 PM
Yeah, but the color is rendered through that white light. I am going to make an assumption here that higher CRI is going to show better color in a backlit LCD panel. I know it makes a heck of a difference in forward lighting stuff. Higher CRI stuff (>85 is what I am talking about) is more difficult to get done with the conventional blue LED with yellow phosphor. It can be done with RGB LEDs but I guarantee they don't use those in TVs.

They do, they're just about $45K, however. Dolby PRM-4200 (http://www.dolby.com/professional/products/monitors/professional-reference-monitor-prm4200.html)

mag360
02-26-2011, 8:17 PM
not when you can get a P42S2 panasonic plasma for $600 or so.

you CANNOT beat the panasonic S series line for picture quality per dollar. easily outperforms LCD/LED's double it's price. they are outstanding. Yes you can pay a stupid amount more for very little to show (i.e. back lit LED's, more expensive plasma sets). I too thought I needed and could really "tell" the difference between the S2 for $600 and the VT25 for $2500. If you don't want/need/care about 3d then your wallet will be so much happier. more money for everything else. they have 42,46,50,54, 58, 65 in the S2. next up would be the GT25 (3d).

xXBigJoeXx
02-26-2011, 8:33 PM
Costco has a 55" Sony LED Internet Enabled TV for $1499 and comes with the wifi adapter (usually $100) and additional warrenty. Prob cheaper then trying to replace the screen....

frankm
02-26-2011, 8:36 PM
I got the extended warranty at Best Buy. The TV went out and couldn't be repaired. So, the manager lets me "buy up" after giving me credit for the old TV. I throw in an extra 250 and get a 46" TV!

Beatone
02-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Much cheaper to buy a new one.

Bryansix
02-27-2011, 8:28 AM
When I was at Costco shopping for a TV I asked this question. The two TV folks told me no. Dump it and get a new one. They even told me not to buy the ones they had for sale at the time. Both told me to get a LED TV because it ran cooler and lasts longer.

Do you think they might have ulterior motives? Like bumping up new TV sales perhaps? Not the best people to ask.

My wife works at the call center for a major television manufacturer (not going to say which one). She handles these calls all day long. From listening to enough stories from her and her experience also repairing TVs (they start CSR in the repair department for a week) I can tell you that all that needs to be done is swap the panel. The rest of the components are fine especially if it still turns on and displays something.

Now as to the second question of worth. Two factors come into play here.
1) How good is the warranty?
2) Is the energy savings of upgrading to an LED worth the incremental cost of the upgrade? In essense, what is the ROI?

1) Yes, you broke it. However good warranties will sometimes include the option for onsite service. Yeah, you have to pay but you might not have to ship it. Also see if they will give you an advanced exchange? In essence, you pay up front, they ship you a new TV, and you ship the old one back in a pre-paid box the new TV came in. Lastly, see if they have a local repair center. For me, the repair center is 2.5 miles away from my front door. I could literally cart my TV there on a dolly.

2) Figure out the time you use the TV, the mean watt usage of each and then figure out how many years the LED upgrade will take to pay off. Then figure out the percentage payoff per year and find out if that is higher then any credit card debt you have? If the percentage is higher then go for it. If lower, then pay off the CC first. If you don't have CC debt then use a lower percentage to compare against like the best interest rate you can get by investing the money.

In conclusion, don't decide based on the comments here alone. Call Sony and find out the cost of the repair first and if they can do it locally or in your home.

BlooDSMeaR
02-27-2011, 8:50 AM
LCD's are way easy to fix. My LCD went on the fritz, $54.77 later I had a new T-con board commin in the mail. 12 torx bit screws, and 1 pin connector later, she was good as new. Glad I fixed mine instead of buying a new one. Saved me around $1K for an equivalent replacement.
My suggestion is jump on-line and use your Google foo. Find out how to do the repair your self. I found a couple of sites that have walk through's for testing, and part replacement instructions. Order the parts, and whala your done. You'll have the feel good " I did it!!! plus you'll have the "I saved a but load of money!!!!" face :)

TWoods450
02-27-2011, 10:11 AM
99.9% of the time a screen crack is NOT worth repairing.
I was at my local Sams Club yesterday they had a 55" LCD 1080p Vizio on clearance for 750. I have a 42 and a 47 vizio and love them, while they aren't as high end as others but I think they look great.

If it was a power supply, y-sus board, etc, it would probably be a less than $100 fix but that panel is gonna cost ya.

Curtis
03-01-2011, 7:50 AM
We had to replace two flat panel TV's. The first was the result of a plastic bowl. The other one was due to the screen going out. The warranty company that came out told us it was worth it for them to try and fix. They gave us the option of money or they would ship a new one to us. We took the money so we could buy the extended warranty.

By the way, we put our TV on top of a hutch so they can't touch it. It didn't help with the bowl, but it has helped to prevent more damage due to rough housing, light saber battles, etc.