PDA

View Full Version : Finished my AR build today

Farva
02-25-2011, 3:48 PM
*Note I havent shot it yet, will do this weekend.*

And my safety selector feels really weird. Like when I switch between safe and fire it feels and sounds like the spring is ripping or grinding, just really clunky and not fluid. It doesnt feel or sound smooth at all. Is this normal for a new build or did I do something wrong?

Also I have a dedicated 22 upper on the lower at the moment(yeah i know this is the centerfire forum) and I cant seem to get the bolt catch to engage? Does it not function on a 22 upper? I dont have a centerfire upper at the moment to try it out and Im thinking I didnt install ot correctly or something.

$P-Ritch$
02-25-2011, 4:01 PM
I would say just remove the pistol grip and take a look at the safety detent and spring to see if they are deformed of anything. I know that the detents "smooth" out a little over time, but mine were never ripping or grinding when new.

As for the bolt catch, I would venture to say that your upper is probably not designed or capable of using it. The followers on the AR mags are what activates the bolt catch and I don't think that black dog mags, or whatever you may be using, will reach. So, they probably don't have a surface on the .22LR BCG for the bolt catch to snag.

jm13690
02-25-2011, 4:14 PM
I agree take out the spring and take a look at it. I mean things smooth out a bit after firing, but they should be stiff and not sound bad.

Also, once all together remember the pics.

bender152
02-25-2011, 4:34 PM
This is what's supposed to be pushing up against the safety lever. Make sure yours is in there.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productImages/thumbnail/890/890211.jpg

Recession
02-25-2011, 4:54 PM
:useless:

high_revs
02-25-2011, 5:25 PM
think he mixed the spring that goes behind the detent? not sure that would cause the grinding. i've had mines pretty tight/super snug when switching back and forth. but no grinding feeling. but that was a while ago though. it should still break-in after a while and smooth out.