PDA

View Full Version : New to shotguns, need advice on storage for home defense...

insin
09-28-2006, 5:40 PM
Hello all, I have just picked up my brand new Rem. 870 that I plan to use somewhat for home defense. I loaded it up with a Snap Cap in the chamber and 3 - OO Buck shells in the tube. I was wondering the best way to keep the shotgun on the ready?

If it is cocked and ready on the snap cap in the chamber, the slide will not actuate until the trigger is pulled first or the slide release is pushed on the side of the shotgun. This adds one extra step in a vital emergency. Sooo, what I did was load it up with the snapcap still in the chamber this time, but with the shotgun not cocked so that the slide can be pumped quickly and the live shells can be ready to go. However, when the shotgun is in the safe standing on its butt, the slide kinda slacks off about a half inch from being fully extended?

Is this okay for the shotgun? How do you keep you home defense shotty stored for any potential intruders?

Thanks,

Kestryll
09-28-2006, 9:00 PM
The way I keep my Mossberg is with 4 rounds of #4 Buck in the mag tube, 3 rounds of 00 Buck towards the rear of a sidesaddle, 3 rounds of 1 1/2 ounce slug and an empty chamber.

How I get it there.
Completely empty the weapon, nothing in the chamber, nothing in the mag tube.
Now double check it.
Rack the slide to cock the weapon with nothing in it, pull trigger to release the firing pin spring. Now the shotgun is decocked and the action is unlocked. if I need to I can rack the slide without pushing any buttons or levers.
Then I load my sidesaddle as described above, slugs to the front, 00 Buck to the rear.
Then I load 4 to 5 rounds of #4 Buck into the mag tube. My mag holds 7 rounds so I download by 2 or 3 to lengthen the life of the spring.
Set the safety and in to the safe hopefully to await unloading for a range trip.

Dont Tread on Me
09-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the world of shotguns.

Kestryll gave good advice. I keep my shotgun in a slightly different state. I empty the gun as Kestryll describes but I don't drop the hammer. I then load the magazine to capacity and keep the safety off. The downside of this is that I know have to flip a small lever in order to put a round in the chamber. The advantage of this is that if someone gets to my shotgun I have some time while they figure things out.

You should pattern test your gun with a bunch of different buck shot. I've gotten excellent tight patterns with Federal low recoil buckshot but every gun is different. I just went to my local hunting store an bought a box of each brand then had a blast trying each out at 5, 10, and 15 yards.

I also recommend a high visibility follower combined with putting your finger in the chamber and magazine at least twice to ensure the gun is empty.

My last item of advice would be to get some training and enter tactical shotgun competitions just to get your feet wet on what it is like to fight with your new toy.

I only use snap caps for practicing speed reloading. It is very hard to reload a shotgun quickly.

blkA4alb
09-28-2006, 11:02 PM
...Then I load 4 to 5 rounds of #4 Buck into the mag tube. My mag holds 7 rounds so I download by 2 or 3 to lengthen the life of the spring.
Leaving the spring compressed will not weaken it, the repeated compression and expansion of the spring in normal use is what weakens it. You're cheating yourself out of those precious 3 rounds! :D

paradox
09-29-2006, 5:49 AM
Hello all, I have just picked up my brand new Rem. 870 that I plan to use somewhat for home defense. I loaded it up with a Snap Cap in the chamber and 3 - OO Buck shells in the tube. I was wondering the best way to keep the shotgun on the ready?

Since you don't have an extended mag tube yet (fix that soon), if I was you I'd have three in the mag and one in the chamber, safety on. My personal HD shotgun has a full seven in the tube and an empty chamber with the slide released.

Pokey
09-29-2006, 8:08 AM
Good info above. Also keep in mind to check/change out your ammo from time to time. Plastic shot shells can over time (especially if exposed to high temps) sort of squash down (getting shorter and wider) enough to cause feed problems.

insin
09-29-2006, 2:01 PM
The 870P Max has been great. I have been trying to fit time in today to get her to the range. No luck though. For now, she's just in the safe. Hopefully I'll have some extra time next weekend.

NwG
09-29-2006, 8:08 PM
I would leave the snap-cap out of the chamber... It just adds one more thing that could go wrong at a bad time... The snap-cap could get jammed, stuck, wedged..ect..

"Is this okay for the shotgun? How do you keep you home defense shotty stored for any potential intruders?"

#1-If is fine for youe shotgun and won't hurt anything..

#2-Well if there are no kids around next to or under the bed.. The most likely place you will need it.. If there are kids around.. ??? A safe can be very slow when you only have 3 seconds...

ZapThyCat
10-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I have a toddler, so it's best to leave my shotty unloaded... I have a number of shells around though, so in a pinch it can be loaded with minor effort. The assaulters would have to bash down a door, run up the stairs and then find the right bedroom and assault me there in the time that I cock my shotty... and most people flee when they hear a shotgun being pumped, so....

blkA4alb
10-01-2006, 11:32 PM
I have a toddler, so it's best to leave my shotty unloaded... I have a number of shells around though, so in a pinch it can be loaded with minor effort. The assaulters would have to bash down a door, run up the stairs and then find the right bedroom and assault me there in the time that I cock my shotty
If you have a toddler the shotgun should be locked up. If you don't have a handgun, think about getting one and getting a bedside safe.

... and most people flee when they hear a shotgun being pumped, so....
Please don't bet your life on that..

Dont Tread on Me
10-02-2006, 5:27 AM
The assaulters would have to bash down a door, run up the stairs and then find the right bedroom and assault me there in the time that I cock my shotty... and most people flee when they hear a shotgun being pumped, so....

I recommend tyring timing how long you have. I estimate in my house about 20 seconds from the door comming down to reaching my bedroom and we have two flights of stairs. That's not long!

I use a pushbutton handgun safe and even with practice I doubt I will get to the gun in time.

ZapThyCat
10-02-2006, 6:23 PM
Well, you have to weight the dangers of having a kid get a hold of the gun and blast him or someone else... or having to defend your house from someone who doesn't know that I'm not already awake, and who knows exactly the layout of my home.

I'd prefer caution for my kids. I keep the shotty next to my bed and unloaded, as well as an electric combo safe next to my bed with a pistol ready and 3 clips inside.

Sig226
10-02-2006, 10:14 PM
I'd prefer caution for my kids. I keep the shotty next to my bed and unloaded, as well as an electric combo safe next to my bed with a pistol ready and 3 clips inside.

Mags.

(someone had to)

And I love redundancy. Options save lives.

For you guys with kids- Those wall mount "locks" (half lock half safe + pinch of rack) would do well. Quick to access, seems quiet enough, and will not allow someone under 100lbs to mess with.

ZapThyCat
10-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Mags, sorry. My first pistol will be in my hands this saturday :)

But as far as safety goes, my toddler is constantly in my room. better safe than sorry.

blkA4alb
10-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Mags, sorry. My first pistol will be in my hands this saturday :)

But as far as safety goes, my toddler is constantly in my room. better safe than sorry.

You're saying two things. You say you don't own a pistol yet, then talk about having a safe with pistol next to your bed. :confused:

Whitesmoke
10-13-2006, 3:21 AM
This is what I have....and what I suggest for you with kids.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUNVAULT-GUN-SHOTGUN-VAULT-GV-3000C-HOLDER-SAFE-NEW-NR_W0QQitemZ120038624782QQcmdZViewItem

It mounts to the wall, in closet or wherever you want HD bracket that is included.. You hit the code and it snaps open and you grab your shotgun. It seriously takes 2 seconds at most. It also has a motion alarm and an alarm and lockout if you put in the wrong code in way too many times. (both which can be disabled if you don't like that feature) .

They are hard to find as they quit making them...but they are on ebay pretty often and usually sell for $70-$80 new in the box.

I keep mine loaded and ready to go.....the action is totally covered and your kids can't manipulate it whatsoever when it's locked.

ZapThyCat
10-13-2006, 10:53 PM
You're saying two things. You say you don't own a pistol yet, then talk about having a safe with pistol next to your bed. :confused:

Well, I already had the safe. I was telling you what I planned to do with the pistol... and I already had the mags too.

I don't bet my life that the sound of a shotgun pumping will scare away intruders... but it does serve to deter, and will be a factor.... I hope.

rod
10-16-2006, 8:24 AM
I just fire off a few random rounds through my front door every now and then. That keeps everyone guessing and I never have problems with home defense issues.

Just kidding.

I have a little curtain climber so I leave my Mossy empty with the slide back in a hard case with several shells next to it in the case. If I need it and have time, all I have to do is drop a round in the chamber, close the slide and I have one round in the pipe ready to go. As I'm searching for my target, I load the remaining rounds.

E. Fudd
10-17-2006, 9:33 AM
You might want to think about over-penetration issues wrt 00 buck in the home. Buck will easily go through wall(s), which might make your neighbors upset, if you are in a densely populated area (e.g. apartment complex, condo, duplex, or even houses built close together), not to mention a danger to family who might be in adjoining rooms, etc.

Depending on how crowded your neighborhood is (rural vs. urban), you might want to consider a few rounds of birdshot for starters, maybe #4 or 6 highbase.

Also, I agree might be better to loose the snapcap. Chamber empty/cruiser ready is fine.

NwG
10-17-2006, 9:47 PM
You might want to think about over-penetration issues wrt 00 buck in the home. Buck will easily go through wall(s), which might make your neighbors upset, if you are in a densely populated area (e.g. apartment complex, condo, duplex, or even houses built close together), not to mention a danger to family who might be in adjoining rooms, etc.

Depending on how crowded your neighborhood is (rural vs. urban), you might want to consider a few rounds of birdshot for starters, maybe #4 or 6 highbase.

Also, I agree might be better to loose the snapcap. Chamber empty/cruiser ready is fine.

If you are at the point were you have to shoot somebody to save your life, the neighbors being upset is the least of your worries.. Same goes with the birdshot.. You may only get one round to save your live.. Better make that first one count (all of them for that matter!) Fire each shot as if it's your last... It very well may be!!!

E. Fudd
10-18-2006, 8:42 AM
Fwiw, by "upset" I meant what might happen if your neighbor or family member catches one or more stray buckshot pellets and is injured or killed.

I've read that most pass-throughs or misses end up "air balls", statistically, but one needs to factor the possibility in to avoid an unintended tragedy, legal nightmare, lawsuits, etc.

Several years back, an LEO in the SF Bay Area was killed by friendly fire. One stray pellet of 00 buck hit him right below the vest, fired from a LE shotgun a block away at a BG standing in between the two LEO's.

Inside, 00 pellets can easily go through multiple walls of sheetrock. Just something to keep in mind.

Dont Tread on Me
10-18-2006, 8:45 AM
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

This is the best site I've found for data on penetration of different types of ammunition. It is not a gov lab but rather a guy in a yard but it looks pretty sound to me.

AJD
10-18-2006, 8:49 PM
http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/ballistics_shotgun.html

The link above has some "Gel" tests done with various shotgun loads. Birdshot doesn't have reliable enough penatration in bare gelatin, and that's even without having to pass through heavy clothing or bone.