PDA

View Full Version : Questions on legal carry

Bishop
09-28-2006, 6:13 PM
I read something that said that you are allowed to carry on private property, and that if you legally transport your handgun to your friend's house, you can load your gun, and carry on his property.

Does this extend to all forms of private property? Rarely do you get into the car, and drive to a destination that's NOT private property, so does that make a CCW basicly a permit to transport a firearm loaded? I know that with a CCW permit, you can carry out your door, hop in your car, and drive to the movies, but as soon as you enter the theater parking lot, if there's a sign that says "No Guns Allowed" your CCW doesn't protect your right to carry on that property.

Is there an implied (dirty word) OK to carry on private property if there is no sign specifically forbidding it?

To muddy the water furthur, it's legal for you to use a gun in appropriate response to a crime (foil a mugging, rape, etc) so, as soon as you need to use the gun (legally) you are legally covered for having it at that time.

Am I just thinking about this too hard? :o

M. Sage
09-28-2006, 6:23 PM
You're thinking about it too hard. If you don't have a CCW, I think you need express permission to carry on someone else's property.

Note that it's not just your property, if you own an apartment you can carry inside it (but not in common areas) IMO, I also remember that someone posted you can carry concealed at your campsites.

Oh, and don't forget your place of business, if you're a business owner. Concealed carry is kosher inside your own store.

metalhead357
09-29-2006, 12:20 AM
You're thinking about it too hard. If you don't have a CCW, I think you need express permission to carry on someone else's property.

Note that it's not just your property, if you own an apartment you can carry inside it (but not in common areas) IMO, I also remember that someone posted you can carry concealed at your campsites.

Oh, and don't forget your place of business, if you're a business owner. Concealed carry is kosher inside your own store.

+1 on all that AND the only places you are forbidden to carry in Cali are during a picketing/strike, an airport, a courthouse, game refuge (some exceptions do exist), state parks and national monuments, and there was (still is?) the law(s) regarding carry IN sacramento at either the govenators house and/or along a square block area around the state capital.......been a while since I looked or looked for that one; mighta dropped off. The last has ALWAYS been rather controversial....post offices; you make the call but I'd wander on over to the gun zone and read the read on it........

Even if a resturant say NO, you still can; but IF discovered you MUST LEAVE IF ASKED TO LEAVE or you are tresspassing; simply put, what they dont know......

As for common areas without a CCW; its what the previous poster said- but add in if your buddy rents then you need the OWNERS permission to pack, not the renters. As for business- youi CAN IFFFFFFFF its not your business and you have written/express permission from the OWNER (not the boss).

But campsites are ok provided there is no specific area restriction (like inside a state park)

Whitesmoke
09-29-2006, 12:29 AM
I read something that said that you are allowed to carry on private property, and that if you legally transport your handgun to your friend's house, you can load your gun, and carry on his property.

Does this extend to all forms of private property? Rarely do you get into the car, and drive to a destination that's NOT private property, so does that make a CCW basicly a permit to transport a firearm loaded? I know that with a CCW permit, you can carry out your door, hop in your car, and drive to the movies, but as soon as you enter the theater parking lot, if there's a sign that says "No Guns Allowed" your CCW doesn't protect your right to carry on that property.

Is there an implied (dirty word) OK to carry on private property if there is no sign specifically forbidding it?

To muddy the water furthur, it's legal for you to use a gun in appropriate response to a crime (foil a mugging, rape, etc) so, as soon as you need to use the gun (legally) you are legally covered for having it at that time.

Am I just thinking about this too hard? :o

If you have a ccw (and I do) and you enter a theater parking lot that has a sign that says "No guns allowed"......you will not be charged with having a concealed weapon. If you were found to have a weapon on the property, then you could be asked to leave. If you don't....your trespassing.

I've spoken to several police officers and my ccw class instructor about this exact situation (I realize they are not experts when it comes to the law though...), and they all tell me to carry anyways...the worst they can do is ask you to leave. But if your carrying concealed they have no way of knowing anyways unless they have metal detectors/security etc.

It is only OK to carry on private property without a ccw if you have the property owners permission. A CCW does allow you to legally carry in stores, etc............there a a few exceptions though...you can't carry in federal buildings, court houses, or on commercial aircraft.

Whitesmoke
09-29-2006, 12:32 AM
oops...metalhead beat me to it..

Pokey
09-29-2006, 9:23 AM
CA also restricts CCW carry in businesses whos primary business is serving alcohol (restraunt ok, bars not ).

metalhead357
09-29-2006, 11:28 PM
CA also restricts CCW carry in businesses whos primary business is serving alcohol (restraunt ok, bars not ).

Yeppers; guessin I did leave that one off the list now didn't I? The hard part is places that STOP serving food at a certain time and then switch to alcohol only... I've heard it argued both ways but if'n ya' go in I'd certainly scatter outta there by the last plate being picked up off the tables.