PDA

View Full Version : best tacticool .22lr? S&W M&P15-22 vs. Colt M-16

santamonica9
02-25-2011, 8:04 AM
so I have a 10/22 already and love her dearly, but I'm leaning towards one of these new clone .22lr's. Im stuck trying to figure out what model is best.

Ive looked ata bunch and boiled it down to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, the Colt M-16 & Colt M-4. The M&P was very light and mostly molded glass filled plastic ala Glock. The Colts where more metal reciever and thus heavier. Both shot well but I was @ an indoor range so I couldnt tell what was shooting straighter @ longer distances.

what do you all think? what is the best new cool looking 22? Thank you all.

lfarm
02-25-2011, 8:19 AM
I don't know much about the Colts but I do have the S&W MP15-22. The S&W runs great and is a fun gun - accurate - digests most ammo with no problem (dosen't like yellow jackets or the aluminium cased stuff but Federal and CCI work great).

DaveFJ80
02-25-2011, 9:33 AM
From what I've seen & read from others, the 15-22 will accept more AR parts onto it, where as the Umarex Colt M4 can take some AR parts but they may need slight modifications to make it fit or work correctly. There are other parts on the receiver that are not compatible on the Colt (can't remember the exact details). Also that the 15-22 was more 'true' to an AR platform, with parts and functionality.

I picked up my 15-22 mainly because of the AR parts compatibility, and because the MOE version just looked plain cool, and at the time it was a good deal ($499). I've seen the 'regular' CA compliant 15-22 go for $349, or as low as $419 at Big 5.

rudigan
02-25-2011, 9:47 AM
so I have a 10/22 already and love her dearly, but I'm leaning towards one of these new clone .22lr's. Im stuck trying to figure out what model is best.

Ive looked ata bunch and boiled it down to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, the Colt M-16 & Colt M-4. The M&P was very light and mostly molded glass filled plastic ala Glock. The Colts where more metal reciever and thus heavier. Both shot well but I was @ an indoor range so I couldnt tell what was shooting straighter @ longer distances.

what do you all think? what is the best new cool looking 22? Thank you all.

I'm currently looking at these tactical .22's also. Getting a bit pricey to take out the M1A or Mini as often as I would like. Big 5 currently has the Colt M16 for $349 through Feb 26. FWIW I read a lot of good things about the M and P's, but also read about many having literally (they posted images) blown up due to firing before fully returning to battery. One guy said a new “blue” spring takes care of that issue, others say it’s still an issue beyond the spring and can’t believe S&W has not yet corrected the problem. Do some searches and you’ll find a lot of recent commentary.

macey109
02-25-2011, 9:54 AM
I have the sig 522 tacticool- no issues what so ever. Great plinker.....

BroncoBob
02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Spikes ST-22 is really the only way to go for an AR platform 22lr

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/22LR%20Rifles/MVC-042F.jpg

MaHoTex
02-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm currently looking at these tactical .22's also. Getting a bit pricey to take out the M1A or Mini as often as I would like. Big 5 currently has the Colt M16 for $349 through Feb 26. FWIW I read a lot of good things about the M and P's, but also read about many having literally (they posted images) blown up due to firing before fully returning to battery. One guy said a new “blue” spring takes care of that issue, others say it’s still an issue beyond the spring and can’t believe S&W has not yet corrected the problem. Do some searches and you’ll find a lot of recent commentary.

Between 18K-20K rounds downrange in my M&P with no issues whatsoever.

Probably the best $400 I have ever spent on a rifle. IMO, there is NOT a better option.

davek8s
02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I went with the m&p 15/22. I like that it takes real AR parts and even though its plastic, its still a great rifle. I spent the extra for the MOE, only because it looks way cooler than the regular version. Mine eats up federal bulk and winchester 333's without a hiccup. Get it you won't regret it.

Ledbetter
02-25-2011, 11:52 AM
I've been looking into this but have not bought yet. I'm interested in the CMMG version sold by sponsor Mark's Armory. Just a little more than the S&W but supposed to be the real deal all the way through.

Peter.Steele
02-25-2011, 12:14 PM
S&W is the way to go on this. I can even lean it up against the wall - IN A CARPETED ROOM, EVEN - and if it falls over, the receiver won't crack in half. You can't say that about the Colt. :hide:

MARLANDO
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
I pick up my M&P15-22 MOE this Sunday !!!! :D

rudigan
02-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I pick up my M&P15-22 MOE this Sunday !!!! :D

Congrats!! Can I ask where/how much$?

I was just at Big 5, they list the Smith at $519, said they will sell for $469 this Sunday. Not sure which model, just S&W M&P 15/22.

MARLANDO
02-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Congrats!! Can I ask where/how much$?

I was just at Big 5, they list the Smith at $519, said they will sell for $469 this Sunday. Not sure which model, just S&W M&P 15/22.

PM Sent!

chucksolo69
02-25-2011, 1:02 PM
You are doing yourself a disservice if you overlook the SIG 522. I have the Colt M4, GSG5, and the SIG 522. The SIG is by far the best built one of the three and guaranteed a better build than the all plastic M&P.

erratikmind
02-25-2011, 4:28 PM
The Umarex fell short of what I was expecting. My M&P 15-22 functions the closest to my ARs and is a blast to shoot. My Sig 522 is the most accurate of the 3 by a fair margin. However, the 522 does not have a true last shot bolt hold open feature. Prior to releasing the mag, you must manually pull back on the bolt and lock it in place. If not, when you release the magazine, the bolt will move forward in to battery.

pennys dad
02-25-2011, 6:47 PM
I had both and sold both. My next tacticool 22lrs with be either a Sig Swat 522 or CMMG Quebec.

goofcat
02-25-2011, 9:58 PM
I think the general thought is that the you can't go wrong with either the Sig 522 or S&W 15-22. The S&W is the best AR 22LR. Shoots everything, but a bit on the light side due to all that polymer.

The Sig is heavier duty, reliable and accurate, but can't use all those AR accessories.

It basically comes down to if you prefer an AR tacticool 22lr, or a tacticool 22lr with a different look.

I have a Sig 522 SWAT and love it. But I was ever a fan of the AR platform. So my choice was easy.

pdugan6
02-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Do yourself a favor and get any ar15 you like and then just get a bolt conversion for it so you can shoot .22 as well. you will have 5.56 capabilities if you want or need it.

Flyingpootang
02-26-2011, 12:02 AM
If you already have an AR platform a CMMG upper with bolt hold open is the way to go. You 10/22 is already a great piece and with the proper mods: bolt head space, trigger job, optics (I use a scope w/a mini red dot on top) it's hard to beat. I personally only have had luck with factory 10 round mags. The only down side is no bolt hold open on the last shot. The 522 is an excellent shooter, very very accurate, 7075-T6 aluminum upper, cheap (379.00 no sights) and very dependable. It will hold open on the last shot and close w/the mag is removed. You can train yourself to rotate the bolt face up, pull the charging handle back w/one hand while the other hand easily pushes the bolt catch to hold the bolt open, then the mag can be changed out/recycled easily/safely. It does take and additional 1/2 second and may not be as critical since it's a fungun anyway. The thing I didn't like about the SW MP-22 is the synthetic body/rail combo. It's light, great for smaller shooters, and it has metal rails for the bolt to ride on. Don't get me wrong I've read some great reviews on them, they look nice, but it's just not my cup of tea. If your unlucky enough to live in CA, but lucky enough to have owned some Ciener/Atchison AR .22 Hi-cap 30 round mags before 2K they will fit the CMMG and Sig 522 platforms. If not your stuck with 10 round mags.

SDM44
02-26-2011, 12:29 AM
If I had to choice between those and other rimfire rifles, I'd either choose the 15-22 MOE w/Magpul parts, or the Sig 522 Swat with the full rail. The only bad thing about the Sig 522 Swat is that it's a little harder to find and I think it still doesn't come with any sights.

jackandblood
02-26-2011, 6:09 AM
Colt. The look/feel of a full metal receiver with the Colt logo and stampings will get you smiling before you even get to shoot it. And it's the most reliable firearm I own (besides the rimfire SAO revolver). Far more than my one centerfire (will not disclose make/model, but it hates aluminum cased ammo).

Tibet (my Colt m4) loves WInchester 555 bulk. 1 FTF in 3 outings. 100-150 shots per outing. Matter of fact, I had an epic outing Thursday where I shot 150 rds in 45 minutes (2 magazines, lead fingers reload), I cut my paper target horizontally Top Shot style (with a semi-auto .22lr, not a .45 acp full auto thompson). Doesn't get more fun than that in an indoor range.

BTW shout out to OCIndoorRange.com - They let you use your own paper targets, hence the horizontal cut challenge I made for myself.

I have an airsoft m4 I use to shoot in the backyard. Loaded down with lead weights it feels alot like the 15-22, what with the reinforced nylon (plastic) construction and all...
Tibet is in the rimfire galleries if you what a glance at her.

Sig 522 probably the best. IIRC its a forged 7072(?) receiver- like mil spec. Colt M4 rimfire receiver is not a mil-spec alloy.

They dont crack either contrary to that one documented incident. The one incident mp15-22 fanboys have been milking ever since the superior m4 rimfire came out.

rudigan
02-26-2011, 6:23 AM
Colt. The look/feel of a full metal receiver with the Colt logo and stampings will get you smiling before you even get to shoot it. And it's the most reliable firearm I own (besides the rimfire SAO revolver). Far more than my one centerfire (will not disclose make/model, but it hates aluminum cased ammo).

They dont crack either contrary to that one documented incident. The one incident mp15-22 fanboys have been milking ever since the superior m4 rimfire came out.

Keep talking brother...The sale for $349 ends tonight and my CC is talking to me...

scargk
02-27-2011, 1:15 AM
Ordered my Sig 522 SWAT on Friday....can't wait for my FFL to receive it and then get it out of jail!

DaveFJ80
02-27-2011, 8:22 AM
The 15-22 'CA Compliant' model is on sale this week at Big 5 for $479. Although that's not much of a savings when you can find it for almost $100 less online, or could buy the MOE version for $499.

Peter.Steele
02-27-2011, 8:31 AM
However, the 522 does not have a true last shot bolt hold open feature. Prior to releasing the mag, you must manually pull back on the bolt and lock it in place. If not, when you release the magazine, the bolt will move forward in to battery.

Are you sure that the ammo you're using just isn't punching the bolt back hard enough to fully latch the bolt open? I've had that happen a couple times with my M&P. CCI Mini Mags and Blazers tend to hold the bold open perfectly, but the Federal bulk packs don't always.

I've seen documentation of at least 3 that cracked at the rear of the receiver, in the exact same fashion.

Flyingpootang
02-27-2011, 1:55 PM
[QUOTE=Peter.Steele;5898984]Are you sure that the ammo you're using just isn't punching the bolt back hard enough to fully latch the bolt open? I've had that happen a couple times with my M&P. CCI Mini Mags and Blazers tend to hold the bold open perfectly, but the Federal bulk packs don't always.

The 522 uses the mags follower to catch the bolt after the last round is fired. There is no connection from the follower to the hold open latch, Sig unfortunately didn't design that feature into the 522.

Peter.Steele
02-27-2011, 2:17 PM
The 522 uses the mags follower to catch the bolt after the last round is fired. There is no connection from the follower to the hold open latch, Sig unfortunately didn't design that feature into the 522.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks. I'm not really that familiar with the 522 design.

shadow65
02-27-2011, 4:17 PM
CMMG M4 LE .22LR. Made out of real AR parts.
Same function as a 5.56 AR. Lower can be used for multi caliber uppers.
Dave

santamonica9
02-28-2011, 10:04 AM
I mainly shoot Shotgun (skeet) and long range rifles (bolt action 308 & semi 308) I dont have a AR .223 rifle yet. Its on the list of wants not needs.....an AR10 is in the NEEDS catagory cause Id like to keep it in the 308 caliber. I already own a fun 10/22 but these AR looking 22's look awsome. Ive shot both the Colt m16 and the S&W M&P 15-22 but it was indoors and not 100 yards. Im looking for a fun plinker that shoots decently. Its not a bad thing that is looks all scary like a AR either right :D

To get the AR look is why im leaning towards the S&W and Colt models vs. the Sig 522.

Thanks people

Javi
02-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm still a new shooter (3 months) but I feel my M&P 15-22 is pretty damn accurate! And it's oodles of fun, I love the thing. I'm extremely content I bought it and won't trade it for any other in the category. I have no experience with the Colt/Umarex rifle your looking at but I'd do S&W v.s. Sig. I firmly believe you'll be very happy with either.

rudigan
02-28-2011, 11:53 AM
I mainly shoot Shotgun (skeet) and long range rifles (bolt action 308 & semi 308) I dont have a AR .223 rifle yet. Its on the list of wants not needs.....an AR10 is in the NEEDS catagory cause Id like to keep it in the 308 caliber. I already own a fun 10/22 but these AR looking 22's look awsome. Ive shot both the Colt m16 and the S&W M&P 15-22 but it was indoors and not 100 yards. Im looking for a fun plinker that shoots decently. Its not a bad thing that is looks all scary like a AR either right :D

To get the AR look is why im leaning towards the S&W and Colt models vs. the Sig 522.

Thanks people

Same here. Have a .308 Savage 10FP and a M1A Scout. Have a Mini 14 for .223 fun. Have a Marlin m60 for .22. Have no current desire for a AR. Just want a cool little .22 tacto. Didn't pull the trigger on the $349 Colt deal at Big 5. Too plain. Want more tacto style stock and such.

chucksolo69
03-01-2011, 9:36 AM
There has been a lot of BS printed about the Colt from people who won't take the gun, or for that matter, any of these guns for what they really are. These guns are "fun" guns for the most part and comparing them to "real" AR15 rifles is ridiculous. Much is said about the non functional bolt stop, the 180 degree safety, etc. Jeez, if you want those features, buy an AR!! I have had the Colt M4 since it's debut and I find the negativity surrounding the gun as a load of BS. My gun has been reliable, fun to shoot and accurate as hell. I don't care that the gun doesn't break down like a "real" AR15, or that the safety rotates 180 degrees. I bought the gun becaue it "looks" like and M4. IMO, the S&W feels very cheap, with no heft to it and to me, the all plastic construction makes it feel cheesy. If you like it, then more power to you, but let's stop the Colt bashing. If people buy the Colt, then like it, who really cares as long as it works for them. But really, you can't take ANY of these guns as anything more than a fun plinker.

santamonica9
03-01-2011, 10:09 AM
There has been a lot of BS printed about the Colt from people who won't take the gun, or for that matter, any of these guns for what they really are. These guns are "fun" guns for the most part and comparing them to "real" AR15 rifles is ridiculous. Much is said about the non functional bolt stop, the 180 degree safety, etc. Jeez, if you want those features, buy an AR!! I have had the Colt M4 since it's debut and I find the negativity surrounding the gun as a load of BS. My gun has been reliable, fun to shoot and accurate as hell. I don't care that the gun doesn't break down like a "real" AR15, or that the safety rotates 180 degrees. I bought the gun becaue it "looks" like and M4. IMO, the S&W feels very cheap, with no heft to it and to me, the all plastic construction makes it feel cheesy. If you like it, then more power to you, but let's stop the Colt bashing. If people buy the Colt, then like it, who really cares as long as it works for them. But really, you can't take ANY of these guns as anything more than a fun plinker.

Chuck - you nailed it! I want a fun plinker that will keep my 308 ammo in its can. I want one of these for that specific purpose: scary looking AR style, super easy to shoot, very economical.

I've heard good things about both rifles (and some not so good about both). Im still not sure what to get. Big 5 has now rotated their sale from the Colt m16 for 350 to the S&W 15-22 for 470...... I think I like the MOE version that Turners had on sale for 520 and their all sold out :(

if I get the S&W on sale its not the MOE version. Is it a bad buy? Wait till I find the MOE verion? Thanks my CalGun friends

pennys dad
03-01-2011, 10:14 AM
dont spend money on a moe

if you want a moe, get a colt and Moe it out. I did, Moe buttstock = $25, Moe handgrip = $35 and Moe pistol grip = $25, you are now MOE'd unless you want Moe sights and I would say pass and use the A2 handle sight

Themandalorian
03-01-2011, 10:22 AM
S&W M&P 15-22 MOE is amazing! I wish I could have bought one.

If it were up to me I would get the MOE or the Sig 522. From what I've seen and read the Sig is more reliable but not by much, they're both great.

I like my 15-22

Peter.Steele
03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
I've got my S&W partially MOE'd. I put the MOE grip and sights on it, but I actually bought the Colt / Umarex faux-Crane stock for it. I like that a lot better than the MOE stock. It's not as nice as the real LMT unit, but it's still pretty sweet.

santamonica9
03-01-2011, 10:45 AM
another reason for the S&W 15-22 -> they have the larger scary looking magazine its a 25 rounder limited to the CA 10 - the Colt only has the smaller 10 ones available :(

I might just get that 15-22 & MOE it out as per Penys Dads' suggestion. I better make a decision soon. Id like to bring a new tacticool .22 AR for the Lytle Creek shoot coming up. :D thanks again CGers

DaveFJ80
03-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Big 5 has now rotated their sale from the Colt m16 for 350 to the S&W 15-22 for 470...... I think I like the MOE version that Turners had on sale for 520 and their all sold out :(

if I get the S&W on sale its not the MOE version. Is it a bad buy? Wait till I find the MOE verion? Thanks my CalGun friends

I bought the MOE from Turner's when they had it on sale for $499 last week, and I got one of the last ones in stock available in So Cal (they had to check other stores and save one - ship it to my local store, and that was on Monday afternoon after the sale ad just came out the Friday before). A decent price, considering you would have ended up paying the same price on GB, and transfer fees would cost about the same as sales tax so I just bought locally.... picking it up this Friday :D. But between extra mags, red dot scope, and other crap that I'm throwing onto the gun, I've spend about another $450 on parts & accessories already, and I still don't have the gun yet :p.

IMO, if you want to get a regular 15-22 and put the MOE parts onto it, then you actually save some money by just buying the MOE version already, since the MBUS sights are what's going to cost the most. Plus it won't come with a threaded barrel, which is nice if you want to put a shroud over it for a tacticool look. The Big 5 sale right now of $479 is not a good price on the 'regular' 15-22, as you're better off finding it online for $120 less and transfering it to your local FFL (maybe around $70, includes DROS fees). That way if you want to MOE-out your 15-22, it won't hurt as much in your pocket.

chucksolo69
03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
The bottom line is, ANY of the "tactical" .22 rifles will fit your bill. The S&W, Colt, SIG, GSG, HK, they are all going to be fun. BTW - Mossberg just came out with their "tactical" M4 clone at an astonishing $265.00!!!!

MARLANDO
03-01-2011, 1:48 PM
Here is my M&P15-22 MOE !
Just received it this past Sunday, and added some goodies...

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/MARLANDO69/DSC03700.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/MARLANDO69/DSC03701.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/MARLANDO69/DSC03703.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/MARLANDO69/DSC03702.jpg

IPSICK
03-01-2011, 3:33 PM
None of the Above.

Nordic Components NC22

Javi
03-01-2011, 4:09 PM
Like someone mentioned before, you DON'T have to get the MOE. It's only different in looks (I love the MOE grip more than the stock one, though.). If you plan on getting all of those, it's a great value! Think the back up sights alone would almost get you to $100 when the MOE is normally $100 more than the standard with all of that (threaded barrel and flash suppressor, grip, stock, rear sling attachment, sights). If you want to buy stuff from other brands, get the standard version and build as you like! I'd let ya shoot my S&W if you wanted another go at it but I don't feel like driving to LA anytime soon haha. I just got in some short 10 round magazines in today, should work great for Appleseed =] Trying them out Thursday.

IPSICK
03-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Btw, if you like your 10/22 so much you can give her a makeover (http://shop.nordiccomp.com/AR22-Kit-with-Rifle-Length-NC1-Hand-Guard-and-Adj-Butt-Stock-AR22K-T6-NC1R.htm).

http://www.jprifles.com/photos_new/AR1022FULLSIZEPIC_371.jpg

I promise I am not affiliated with Nordic Components. I just hope to be one of their Kool-Aid drinkers very soon. Just ordered the NC22 upper tonight.

donw
03-02-2011, 10:10 AM
i cannot vouch for those named...but i can vouch for spikes tactical 22lr M4 carbine the ST-22 M4LE. it looks like, and, is, in fact, an M4 carbine except it is of rimfire caliber. all AR accessories may be utilized on it if you so desire.

it's light in hand, it's chrome-moly, target, barrel aids in making it HIGHLY accurate (i use the standard A2 carry handle sights, too)the standard trigger is very acceptable, but you can sub any AR trigger you wish if you so desire and as a bonus fact, you can use centerfire 'uppers', too if you wish. (i also purchased the 5.56 LW uppers along with it.)

it's not "cheap" though. you'll find yourself writing a check for near $1000.00 by the time the smoke settles. (even more if you add the "can", tactical rail, etc...)

my only regret is that i don't have an A2 buttstock yet...my mustache catches in the adjustable shoulder piece between the sliding shoulder piece and buffer tube...:(

santamonica9
03-02-2011, 10:32 PM
so afer much deliberation, contemplation, research, gun store visits, gun store calls, conversing with LEO family members, as well as my wonderfull CALGUNS.NET friends

I went and bought the Smith & Wesson MOE 15-22, yes Peny Dad is right I could have just got the cheaper regular one on sale currently @ Big 5 for 479 BUT the special barrel the MOE comes with cannot be purchased by Smith & Wesson (I called them)

The MOE has all the Magpull stuff and Im just going to throw on a red dot or something. Maybe just keep it bare with the flip ups. Not sure about it - I do know Ive got to get some extra magazines for her and that should be about it

I appreciate all your help everyone. If I did have a OLL lower I would do the above mentioned conversions but sine I dont I just settled on this. As I stated before I want to keep my guns in the calibers I already own that why I'm going to get an AR10 lower from Rifle Gear and build one up

Thanks again to all who helped me in my decision making. I hope to see you all at the Lytle Creek Shoot & BBQ on 4/3/11

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=397018

sorry to my NorCal brothers & sisters who my find it hard to get down to So Cal for this one but your still invited :D

Porterhouse
03-02-2011, 10:45 PM
so afer much deliberation, contemplation, research, gun store visits, gun store calls, conversing with LEO family members, as well as my wonderfull CALGUNS.NET friends

I went and bought the Smith & Wesson MOE 15-22, yes Peny Dad is right I could have just got the cheaper regular one on sale currently @ Big 5 for 479 BUT the special barrel the MOE comes with cannot be purchased by Smith & Wesson (I called them)

The MOE has all the Magpull stuff and Im just going to throw on a red dot or something. Maybe just keep it bare with the flip ups. Not sure about it - I do know Ive got to get some extra magazines for her and that should be about it

I appreciate all your help everyone. If I did have a OLL lower I would do the above mentioned conversions but sine I dont I just settled on this. As I stated before I want to keep my guns in the calibers I already own that why I'm going to get an AR10 lower from Rifle Gear and build one up

Thanks again to all who helped me in my decision making. I hope to see you all at the Lytle Creek Shoot & BBQ on 4/3/11

sorry to my NorCal brothers & sisters who my find it hard to get down to So Cal for this one but your still invited :D

Of your choices I think you made the right choice. The Smith is light and that's a GOOD thing. I shoot one in competition now and then and it's light, tight and tough. You can't say that about the Colts. The Sig 522 is just sort of a cartoon gun. Bloated for no reason. Length of pull is too short and it's heavy.

Still I find it offensive that the Smith is $479.00 and a stainless/polymer 10/22 is $279.00 It's almost like doubling the cost of a vehicle because of add-on spoilers...

PuppY_K1ck3R
03-02-2011, 11:03 PM
You are doing yourself a disservice if you overlook the SIG 522. I have the Colt M4, GSG5, and the SIG 522. The SIG is by far the best built one of the three and guaranteed a better build than the all plastic M&P.

I agree with chuck here. Give the Sig 522 a look. i own a 522 SWAT and absolutely love it. Its not picky with ammo at all and the weight vs. a 15/22 is also much better.

lauviahcreative
03-03-2011, 3:04 PM
Hey this is sorta related to a tacticool .22lr, I just recently purchased an EOTech 512.A65 and wanted to mount this to my rifle. Unfortunately neither factory mounts will accept the sight. Is there a rail mount that works with the Ruger 10 22 to attach this sight? Thanks-

Peter.Steele
03-03-2011, 6:11 PM
Hey this is sorta related to a tacticool .22lr, I just recently purchased an EOTech 512.A65 and wanted to mount this to my rifle. Unfortunately neither factory mounts will accept the sight. Is there a rail mount that works with the Ruger 10 22 to attach this sight? Thanks-

Here you go. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ruger+10%2F22+weaver+rail)

BamBam-31
03-03-2011, 6:14 PM
I agree with chuck here. Give the Sig 522 a look. i own a 522 SWAT and absolutely love it. Its not picky with ammo at all and the weight vs. a 15/22 is also much better.

Another +1 for the Sig 522. As much as I like my TacSol .22lr upper, the Sig just more fun. Can't really quantify why, though. Maybe cuz it's newer. :p :shrug:

If you're going to ASR some time soon, I'll bring out both and we can do a side-by-side w/ your Smith. :)

lauviahcreative
03-03-2011, 8:38 PM
Here you go. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ruger+10%2F22+weaver+rail)

Thanks alot! After messing with the two scope mounts which came factory, and calling around asking I finally realised that what I needed was a Picatinny rail.

I purchased the UTG Commando .22 rail system as well as the standalone rail from them for the 10 22.

When I get around to putting it all together I'll go ahead and post a pic of the build completed here on the thread or in the forum in general.

santamonica9
03-04-2011, 1:16 AM
BAM BAM - 100% ASR as soon as she comes out of 10 day 5150 check :D

eltee
03-06-2011, 9:40 AM
Spikes ST-22 is really the only way to go for an AR platform 22lr

+1 :cool:

You can shoot .22LR all day long, and Spikes has numerous options as to how you want your rifle (upper and lower) built. When you want, add the .223/5.56 upper (and a BB if you're in California) and you have a fully functional AR platform.

I ordered one from Spike's for my daughter, it has the Lothar barreled .22 upper. When she is older and a little bigger, I can slap an AR15 upper on it for her. FYI the flag on the magwell is laser etched by Spike's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/eltee49/Gunz/22cals/GradPresent.jpg

The Umarex based .22 military design rifles, the Sig 522, etc. are all pretty good but with a .22 upper on a regular AR lower you have, IMHO, some options for the future.

jackandblood
03-06-2011, 10:11 PM
My m4 rimfire weighs nearly 9 lbs. Im not sure how that happened. The Barska scope must weigh ~3lbs alone. ohya, the stock mounted mag pouch. Well I guess the M4 i'll lug around for conditioning, The 10/22 would be my move and shoot .22 if I ever get into that.

The M4 rimfire with ontario knives' very robust bayonet mounted breaks 10 lbs! Come zombie time, ima have that bayonet, hold em whilst you 15-22 guys reload. Put one of those pointy standoff muzzle attachments, so I can reload. sig 522 guys use that forged robust receiver as a club. :D

Of your choices I think you made the right choice. The Smith is light and that's a GOOD thing. I shoot one in competition now and then and it's light, tight and tough. You can't say that about the Colts. The Sig 522 is just sort of a cartoon gun. Bloated for no reason. Length of pull is too short and it's heavy.

Still I find it offensive that the Smith is $479.00 and a stainless/polymer 10/22 is $279.00 It's almost like doubling the cost of a vehicle because of add-on spoilers...

Peter.Steele
03-07-2011, 10:04 AM
The M4 rimfire with ontario knives' very robust bayonet mounted breaks 10 lbs! Come zombie time, ima have that bayonet, hold em whilst you 15-22 guys reload.

... and once I've reloaded, I'll still have a usable gun, while you'll have a marginally effective club.

No matter how robust the bayonet mount is, it's still attached to a barrel that is just a sleeve with, basically, a sheet metal wrap to make it look like the right profile. :43:

G1500
03-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I like my CMMG tacticool, but the rear takedown pin doesn't fit properly.

Other than that, its fine. have had a few FTE/FTFs though.

BHP FAN
03-07-2011, 4:56 PM
I love my ''Colt''/Umarex/Walther M4. I bought it when I had a better, higher paying job I thought would last forever, and plenty of disposable income. Kinda as a ''toy'', for the looks and not really expecting much in the way of performance. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! I judge all .22's by the Ruger 10/22 standard, and for accuracy and reliability, this one stands up well. I wish my GSG 522 was as accurate.

Mamluke
03-07-2011, 6:59 PM
I had the Colt M4-22lr, made by Walther Germany for Colt and imported by Umarex USA... I put through it about 8000 rnds of CCI minimags (both hollow point and copper plated round nose)... the gun performed perfectly about 95% of the time... there were some misfires and jamming issues.. but nothing to write home about...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/sqt37.jpg

That rifle felt like a genuine Colt M4 carbine in every sense, even weight wise... The forward assist did not function, and was made so the rifle would look cosmetically identical to the M4.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/sqt3.jpg

I recently accuired the H&K 416D-22lr... And that too was made by Walther in Germany. The feel of the H&K was far more substantial, not to mention a real exotic buttstock with storage compartments. Even the paint coating on the H&K was of superior quality, my 2 cents!

BTW, CCI now makes dedicated Copper top round nose rounds at 1200 FPS for these Assault type 22lr rifles... they come loose in a box of 375 rnds. for about $25.

I will post some pics of the H&K on this forum shortly...

pennys dad
03-07-2011, 7:37 PM
They are fun arent they!

bigchin
03-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Wow, that is dirt cheap for a mossberg. do you think it is quality or quantity they are thinking about?

G1500
03-07-2011, 10:35 PM
the gun performed perfectly about 95% of the time... there were some misfires and jamming issues.. but nothing to write home about...

That rifle felt like a genuine Colt M4 carbine in every sense, even weight wise... The forward assist did not function, and was made so the rifle would look cosmetically identical to the M4.

BTW, CCI now makes dedicated Copper top round nose rounds at 1200 FPS for these Assault type 22lr rifles... they come loose in a box of 375 rnds. for about $25.

I used some Remington loose box stuff I bought on sale a while back. Shot about 200 rounds with some FTF and FTE.

Shot about 100 rounds of CCI Mini mags and had a few problems on the last mag or 2.

I took a box of 5000 CCI mini mags from the shop, I will let you know how the rest work for me. :)

chucksolo69
03-08-2011, 8:32 AM
All I have read is that the Mossberg Tactical .22 is a pretty solid gun. I'm sure it is probably based on the Model 60 action. My brother has had a Model 60 for almost 30 years. Still shoots like a champ.

johans
03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I had the Colt M4-22lr, made by Walther Germany for Colt and imported by Umarex USA... I put through it about 8000 rnds of CCI minimags (both hollow point and copper plated round nose)... the gun performed perfectly about 95% of the time... there were some misfires and jamming issues.. but nothing to write home about...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/sqt3.jpg

I recently accuired the H&K 416D-22lr... And that too was made by Walther in Germany. The feel of the H&K was far more substantial, not to mention a real exotic buttstock with storage compartments. Even the paint coating on the H&K was of superior quality, my 2 cents!

I will post some pics of the H&K on this forum shortly...
Mamluke,
I just picked my HK up yesterday and cant wait to get it out and break 'er in! I too thought it was a better weapon overall and the metal lower just made the whole thing feel more balanced than the S&W (but thats my 2 cents). What did you put through it to break it in? I have some CCI MiniMags that are first in line...

Mamluke
03-08-2011, 2:27 PM
Congrats! What a cool rifle; really high quality materials. I use exclusively CCI minimags, either copper plated round nose or hollow points.

So far I fired over 1700 rounds, not a single misfire or jamming issue. Be sure to adjust the rear bolt tensioner spring for high velocity rounds... do not oil the rifle before shooting and use very little oil after you clean it. Follow instructions on the cleaning to the letter and you won't have any issues whatsoever...

I will post some pics of mine later...

ENJOY! :D

IPSICK
03-08-2011, 5:40 PM
...I just hope to be one of their Kool-Aid drinkers very soon. Just ordered the NC22 upper tonight.

NC22 has arrived. I've got Kool-Aid, Tacticool-Aid. Now when will I have time to drink. Can't wait to see what this can do with my PMC Zappers. Really quality upper, just like has been reported.

http://i52.tinypic.com/fxxjwj.jpg

JP-15 upper on top, Nordic Components NC22 upper w/ Spike's Tactical lower and AR Gold trigger below. :p

OK maybe it's not as tacticool as the M4 .22lr's w/ all the attached gadgets, but can it still hang out with the other tacticool kids?

lauviahcreative
03-08-2011, 9:16 PM
Here is my completed 10 22 build.

:D

I designed this set-up specifically for shooting targets around 50-100yds out.

I had a lot of fun putting it together and I'm sure I'll have even more fun going to the range and seeing how it performs after adding the new parts.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m79/laststandsoldier/th_get-attachmentaspx.jpg (http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m79/laststandsoldier/?action=view&current=get-attachmentaspx.jpg)

Mamluke
03-09-2011, 8:45 AM
Here are some pics of my H&K set up...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/HK1.jpg

I'm planning a trip tomorrow to my favorite shooting spot, and I'll take more detailed pics...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/Tour%20of%20Pain/BA19.jpg

Some areas are only accessible by a dirt bike...:43:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/HBcreek3.jpg

lauviahcreative
03-09-2011, 8:59 AM
Here are some pics of my H&K set up...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/HK1.jpg

How much was the lil' flashlight attachment? Do you like having it on there?

gun505
03-09-2011, 9:00 AM
I am picking up my mp 15/22 sat,went with the moe version.

Mamluke
03-09-2011, 9:06 AM
How much was the lil' flashlight attachment? Do you like having it on there?

I got it from Umarexusa.com, the Walther Xenon light and attachment... It was on sale and I paid $39. Works really and its all rugged aluminum construction.

Thanks...

johans
03-09-2011, 9:17 AM
Awesome pix Mamluke! What scope is that?? I am in the market of course and looking for a decent optic.

Mamluke
03-09-2011, 9:48 AM
Awesome pix Mamluke! What scope is that?? I am in the market of course and looking for a decent optic.

Its a cheap chinese made scope ;)... I vowed that my scope will never be more expensive than my rifle lol...lol... :43:

Got it from combatoptical.com
It works great, metal construction, nitrogen filled tube for anti-fogging... just right for the price... :chris:

Peter.Steele
03-09-2011, 10:40 AM

You ought to check out Primary Arms for good quality cheap optics. I got their M4-style (looks like an Aimpoint Comp ML4, sort of) and a 5x magnifier for my 15-22. Works great, holds zero. It's not an Aimpoint, but why the hell would I spend that much for an optic on a .22?

Mstnpete
03-09-2011, 10:51 AM
For Tacticool plinker, I am just waiting for this to come out!!

H&K / Umarex MP5 A5 and MP5SD .22 Tactical Rimfire
Umarex is also manufacturing .22 LR carbines patterned on the famous MP5 and MP5SD. These carbines features ...

Metal recievers.
Compensators
NAVY style pistol grip.
Retractable stocks.
H&K style diopter iron sights. Adjustable for elevation or windage.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/amgguy/2245250_angle-tfb-tm.jpg
MP5 A5

I want to use this for playing 3 gun but in 22 lr.

rudigan
03-09-2011, 11:57 AM
/////

rudigan
03-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Nice, Lone Pine Pk and Whitney in the back.

DaveFJ80
03-09-2011, 12:03 PM
For Tacticool plinker, I am just waiting for this to come out!!

H&K / Umarex MP5 A5 and MP5SD .22 Tactical Rimfire

That's been "coming out soon" for quite awhile now. If you want an MP5 variant .22 rifle, you can either look in the classifieds for a GSG-5 or get the ATI 522 (basically the remodled, per HK's order, GSG-5D) from Big 5 this week on sale for $399. Slap on a retractable stock and you're pretty got what you see in the picture you posted.

Turner's has the 15-22 (regular CA compliant model, not MOE) on sale today only for their Wednesday special for $449. Not really that great of a deal, considering you can get the MOE version on sale for $449, or get the CA-compliant version online for like $359.

Walker16
03-09-2011, 5:34 PM
just curious but on S&W's site it doesnt say that the MOE version is CA compliant.. everywhere i see them there all 25rd clips

im amusing from this thread that it is and if so where would be the best place to get one online or in the Bay Area? I have always bought my firearms in person and never online before. Thanks

DaveFJ80
03-09-2011, 9:05 PM
just curious but on S&W's site it doesnt say that the MOE version is CA compliant.. everywhere i see them there all 25rd magazines

I corrected you there ;)

The MOE version normally comes with the 25rd mags, but places like Turner's will carry the rifles but sell them with a 10rd mag. You can still buy the rifle from a seller out of state, and have them ship it to CA. But you cannot DROS the rifle unless it has a 10rd mag in it. Whether it's a 25rd mag that's permanently converted to a 10rd mag, or an actual 10rd 15-22 mag, either way that's what you need to make it CA legal and to register it in CA. You can ask the out of state seller if they'll swap the 25rd mag out for a 10rd mag (since most sell them with the 25rd mag), otherwise you may have to fork out some extra cash to your FFL so they can put a 10rd mag onto it and you can then DROS it.

Everything else on the MOE version rifle is CA-legal.

Walker16
03-10-2011, 5:41 AM
Thanks for clearing it up Dave. On line or local I'll be getting one this weekend!!

santamonica9
03-13-2011, 12:01 AM
I picked up my M&P MOE 15-22 :D

come join me this mon the 14th @ LAGC near downtown L.A. to test her out!!

BANG BANG
03-13-2011, 2:46 PM
Love my MP 15-22, everytime I take it out there's still people that ask about it at the range!

jackandblood
03-14-2011, 6:50 AM
The barrel sleeve is anodized t7076 aluminum. as well as the muzzle brake, this I confirmed with Walther customer service. the receiver is of questionable alloy. stuck with 10 rd mags against the zombie horde, ima need that bayonet. :D

... and once I've reloaded, I'll still have a usable gun, while you'll have a marginally effective club.

No matter how robust the bayonet mount is, it's still attached to a barrel that is just a sleeve with, basically, a sheet metal wrap to make it look like the right profile. :43:

Javi
03-14-2011, 10:51 AM
I picked up my M&P MOE 15-22 :D

come join me this mon the 14th @ LAGC near downtown L.A. to test her out!!

How did it go?

santamonica9
03-15-2011, 6:11 AM
How did it go?

used some CCI's at the range last night it went very well. I got to get used to the sights, i was shooting a little low at first. Not one FTF or FTF. The new blue springs worked nicely. pretty darn accurate eventhough its only indoors. Im very happey with it :D come try it out @ the Lytle creek/Firing Line Shoot & Potluck BBQ on April 3

link to thread :D

xibunkrlilkidsx
03-15-2011, 7:03 AM
10/22 with arch angels g36 kit when ever it comes out.