PDA

View Full Version : new AR -concerns

UnboundClothing
02-24-2011, 7:32 PM
ok well just finished my build and it shot well. this is the second ar i own, but the first i have built. i was a little nervous about the first round. now i only shot 5 rounds as it was dark out and didn't want to piss off my buddies neighbors too bad. My concern is that the round that i ejected when i was done had a small indentation on the primer and the front of the round had some decent groves in it. Mind you this round had not been fired yet only loaded in the chamber. this small dimple concerns me that i may have a miss fire while loading one day. Is this normal? also should i be worried about the marks on the bullet or the neck of the brass case. this is a brand new hammer forged daniel defense barrel with a BCM BCG that has only had 5 rounds in it. should i be concerned?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5475711810_45aefd4a79_b.jpg

Reductio
02-24-2011, 7:37 PM
Normal, it's a result of that floating pin in the bolt.

UnboundClothing
02-24-2011, 7:41 PM
Normal, it's a result of that floating pin in the bolt.

sweet thanks for puting me at ease. guess i never paid attention with my other rifle

killshot44
02-24-2011, 8:15 PM
My concern is that the round that i ejected when i was done had a small indentation on the primer and the front of the round had some decent groves in it.

Like he said, small indents on the primer are normal. Just the floating firing pin making contact when the bolt goes into battery.

But the grooves on the bullet are an indication that when chambered, the bullet is into the lands. Unless you're shooting longer-than-magazine-length handloads, that should't be happening.

I run an OAL gauge in there to be sure what you're working with. Is it a .223 chamber?

UnboundClothing
02-25-2011, 8:29 PM
5.56 Brand new barrel (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1570)

$P-Ritch$
02-25-2011, 8:36 PM
Is it two parallel scrapes on the neck of the case that you are referring to? I always thought that was just from the ejector pushing the case in to the lugs on the right-hand side of the star chamber before the bolt moves back far enough allow the case to fully eject. I have seen similar marks on my brass for my AR's as well.