PDA

View Full Version : PSL 762x54

bollero
02-24-2011, 4:08 PM
I just got of the phone with Dillon asking them why they don't make DIEs for that caliber he stated that all those russian guns u should only shot steel case ammo... no brass at all...

Howie44
02-24-2011, 4:32 PM
Thats not true. I've got a bunch of 54R Graf brass in the garage. as well as some from the Wolf Gold (can't remember where that brass comes from)

Full Clip
02-24-2011, 4:34 PM
I've shot my brass-cased reloads. Work great! So long as you don't mind the brass getting pretty beat up...

MrPlink
02-24-2011, 4:51 PM
I just got of the phone with Dillon asking them why they don't make DIEs for that caliber he stated that all those russian guns u should only shot steel case ammo... no brass at all...

sell that ish to the tourists Jack!

Majority of what I have run through my M44 is brass.

If I wasnt lazy, and could find it more easily Id shoot nothing but Yugo (which is brass) through my AK too.

Wildeman_13
02-24-2011, 4:53 PM
I think the main reason is that most people arent using them for super accurate shooting and surplus ammo is cheap. It's hardly worth the effort to reload 7.62x54r right now let alone work up a production die set. If the surplus starts drying up and the cost per round climbs to .30 or more a round, I expect the dies will start appearing on the shelves.

Full Clip
02-24-2011, 5:05 PM
I think the main reason is that most people arent using them for super accurate shooting and surplus ammo is cheap. It's hardly worth the effort to reload 7.62x54r right now let alone work up a production die set. If the surplus starts drying up and the cost per round climbs to .30 or more a round, I expect the dies will start appearing on the shelves.

I agree with this, but I started reloading x54r as my local range does not allow bi-metal bullets (due to fire danger), and the Wolf Gold and other non-magnetic 54r ammo is far more expensive than the surplus stuff. Also, I thought I'd try to see just how accurate my Mosins and PSL can be if fed good ammo. I'll have to post some results, but I can say the PSL loves 150grn Hornaday SSTs. (http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/6291)

Bigtwin
02-24-2011, 6:36 PM
I reload for the 7.62x54r, I use the Lee Dies!
RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and Forster also make them...so you do have options!

Wildeman_13
02-24-2011, 7:16 PM
Well crap. I guess this means I should get off my *** and get that PSL I was drooling over. ;) I hadn't even bothered to look for 7.62x54r dies based on what I posted above.

Full Clip
02-25-2011, 5:14 AM
Yeah, I have the RCBS set.

Agustav
02-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I use Hornady die set and they are good to go!

I reload due to the same reason as full clip... not to mention not having to worry about corrosive ammo in the gas system.

I recently loaded up Hornady 174gr HPBT for my M39 and was able to hit the gong at 400 yrds consistently. I have to give 150gr SST a try tho...