PDA

View Full Version : Used shotgun inspection

Bishop
09-27-2006, 4:28 PM
I just picked up my first shotgun, a used Benelli Nova from a local gun shop, and since I enjoy doing things backwards, I wonder what I can (should have) done to inspect a used shotgun for function. Are there any kinds of function tests or things to look for?

I'll be taking it out to the desert Saturday.

As a side note, it came with a mag extension, and the guy said that you can't get them anymore; anyone know if that's true?

bubbagump
09-28-2006, 12:21 PM
I have no Idea if the Mag extension thing is true.

It is always a good idea to inspect a used shotgun as much as possible before buying it.

I know some people who will go as far as breaking it down, but most dealers wont let you do this, especially if you dont know what the hell your doing.

I would look at the exterior first. If its beat up and dirty as hell on the outside, same probably goes for the inside. Rack the slide and make sure it works. Make sure it locks up. Put it on safe and pull trigger to see is the safety works. Take it off safe (Im assuming you wouldnt have the gun loaded :eek: ) and dry fire it to see if you hear a click. Make sure the barrel is on correctly and wont fall off and doesnt have excessive play. Make sure there are no bulges in the barrel, etc. Look for any alterations which look half-assed or done by someone who was not a gunsmith. You dont wanna blow yourself up at the range.

When you do get to the range, safely test fire and function test it. If it all seems good then have fun. You'll know whether it was a good buy or not after a couple of 100 boxes ;)

Hope that helped...

ivanimal
09-28-2006, 2:19 PM
I have no Idea if the Mag extension thing is true.

It is always a good idea to inspect a used shotgun as much as possible before buying it.

I know some people who will go as far as breaking it down, but most dealers wont let you do this, especially if you dont know what the hell your doing.

I would look at the exterior first. If its beat up and dirty as hell on the outside, same probably goes for the inside. Rack the slide and make sure it works. Make sure it locks up. Put it on safe and pull trigger to see is the safety works. Take it off safe (Im assuming you wouldnt have the gun loaded :eek: ) and dry fire it to see if you hear a click. Make sure the barrel is on correctly and wont fall off and doesnt have excessive play. Make sure there are no bulges in the barrel, etc. Look for any alterations which look half-assed or done by someone who was not a gunsmith. You dont wanna blow yourself up at the range.

When you do get to the range, safely test fire and function test it. If it all seems good then have fun. You'll know whether it was a good buy or not after a couple of 100 boxes ;)

Hope that helped...

Good info!!

I would like to have already done reserarch on price and model. There are some guns that look like others but hold their value less. Shotguns are usually pretty straight forward. I look for rust, slide wear and mismatched finishes, that is how you can see if it has been used a lot. I have about 10,000 rounds through my 870 over the years (since 1976) and it still functions flawlessly. It is hard to break a quality shotgun.