PDA

View Full Version : Yugo 59/66 CA legality

Patriot
09-27-2006, 4:31 PM
Yes, I know they're illegal in stock form.

What type of modifications are required to CA-neuter them (do you have to remove the entire grenade "launcher" or can you somehow render it inoperable)? Are there any out-of-state dealers willing to perform these mods, and for how much?

Thanks

bwiese
09-27-2006, 5:08 PM
Yes, I know they're illegal in stock form.

What type of modifications are required to CA-neuter them (do you have to remove the entire grenade "launcher" or can you somehow render it inoperable)? Are there any out-of-state dealers willing to perform these mods, and for how much?

I and a buddy ordered our Yugo Zastava M59s (remember, they're not SKSes!) from InterOrdnance - saw the ad in Shotgun News in 2005, paid $179ish + DROS + FFL fees from BigMac. We got the unissued blonde wood version with the modified-for-CA non-GL.

I think we only paid $20 more??? Can't remember, cuz we paid $10 more for the blonde stocks. Whatever it was it was reasonable price, esp for an unissued gun.

The GL had a tube welded over it so it is no longer a GL. Looks kinda hokey. If you tried to take it off you'd ruin it, so that certainly would make for reasonable standard of permanence.

BTW, Fed C&R rules allow this kind of manglement to support (idiotic) state laws, and I think one could even remove the GL and replace with a thread protector or fake muzzle device not having GL proerties.

Check InterOrdnance...

http://www.interordnance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=INTERORDNANCE.com&Product_Code=SKSK0001-G

Patriot
09-27-2006, 5:23 PM
Thanks

I'll have to look into the I/O Zastavas in a month when I've got the cash

Btw, I've heard *mostly* good things about fixed-mag chinese sks carbines. Do any retailers still have them in stock, or are they strictly private sales now?

rick_in_lb
09-27-2006, 5:29 PM
Patriot if you are set on an SKS, yes I have one, follow this link and read the reviews on the different types.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

Good info on surplus rifles. Turners has them on sale sometimes.

GL
Rick

Patriot
09-27-2006, 5:48 PM
Not so much "set" on the SKS itself as much as its price...I don't see too many non bolt-action centerfire rifles selling for less than $200 otd.

TonyNorCal
09-28-2006, 7:22 PM
Chinese SKSs are just fine. All have chrome-lined bores. Some were made for military use and some were made for commercial export. Some have threaded/screwed barrels and some have pinned barrels. While ideally I'd look for a threaded one I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a pinned.

Most any SKS should be just fine.