PDA

View Full Version : BARSKA glass?

morfeeis
02-23-2011, 11:29 PM
well it might have been a good idea to post this thread a few hours ago before i ordered this scope but i'll go ahead and ask anyway.
what has your guys experience been with BARSKA? i bought a AC10634 a 3-9x42 scope, here is a link (http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Contour-Riflescope-Mil-Plex-Picatinny/dp/B001JJCHRA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2WFPJ5T6AZRBQ&colid=2L1ID4ZIOC5KA).it's going on a cheap range build that'll never shootmore then 200 yrds.

Thanks

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Gotta say I have one of their scopes(ac10770 1.5-4.5x Mildot/FFP) and it's a pretty damned good scope for the price. I've been very, very pleasantly surprised. However, I don't believe I would buy any of their other scopes.

razorscs
02-24-2011, 12:35 AM
It's not too bad, I have one on my rifle. I just put it on 2 weeks ago and have only shot with it twice. I bought it just for an interim scope before I can afford a better one. The only two things I don't like about it are 1) the mounts it comes with SUCK (but what can you expect when the are included in that low price) and 2) the cross hairs are uber fat, but again-who cares. It will do you fine for 200 yards or less, no doubt.

Edit-Don't be like me and put it on a build with items such as a PRS stock and a 20" stainless bull barrel - people will look at you funny and ask why you have a $50 scope on a rifle obviously exceeding $1000 lol. (experience from the range this past weekend)

morfeeis
02-24-2011, 9:47 AM
It's not too bad, I have one on my rifle. I just put it on 2 weeks ago and have only shot with it twice. I bought it just for an interim scope before I can afford a better one. The only two things I don't like about it are 1) the mounts it comes with SUCK (but what can you expect when the are included in that low price) and 2) the cross hairs are uber fat, but again-who cares. It will do you fine for 200 yards or less, no doubt.

Edit-Don't be like me and put it on a build with items such as a PRS stock and a 20" stainless bull barrel - people will look at you funny and ask why you have a $50 scope on a rifle obviously exceeding $1000 lol. (experience from the range this past weekend)
Funny this is a short term solution for me too, the optics I want I don't have the cash. For right now. The good thing is once I do get the scope I want I can just put this one on my hi-point carbine and not feel bad about it.

Divernhunter
02-24-2011, 1:43 PM
It is your money and you can do as you please. Just remember it is junk optics.

Themandalorian
02-24-2011, 1:56 PM
got the Barska spotting scope, its awesome

rick1881
02-24-2011, 2:42 PM
I put this on my SKS and it broke, sent it back and in 2 weeks had a new one. Like the man said it works fine for the application.

4x21 AO, SKS Electro Sight, Special SKS Reticle

Droppin Deuces
02-24-2011, 2:45 PM
I just looked at their site, and surprisingly they have AR scopes with BDC turrets.

morfeeis
02-24-2011, 3:18 PM
O crap, did you buy the same scope that I did? What happened to your Barska scope?

NapaCountyShooter
02-24-2011, 3:56 PM
My 8 year old has a Barska 4X scope on his Lil Buckaroo and he loves it! I loved that it cost $8. I'd go with Primary Arms for the price point.

Bigtwin
02-24-2011, 5:39 PM
I have an inexpensive Barska on my 10/22, also a Barska 60x spotting scope, both work great for my purposes.

five.five-six
02-24-2011, 5:42 PM

had one on my .5 MOA ar10 upper, couldn't get it to shoot better than 3" almost gave the upper away, put a lupold in it, now you can pry that upper from my cold dead fingers

23 Blast
02-24-2011, 5:57 PM
had one on my .5 MOA ar10 upper, couldn't get it to shoot better than 3" almost gave the upper away, put a lupold in it, now you can pry that upper from my cold dead fingers

As an aside, I've seem firsthand the effects of a good scope versus a crappy one. I bought a Savage 10 used which came with a 4-12x50 Simmons scope on it. I was continually frustrated with the rifle - I had a heck of a time zeroing it and the POI seemed to wander if I used the zoom feature at all. I was ready to throw the rifle away and spend money on a much more expensive one, but I then used a Nikon Buckmaster on it and it's a naildriver now. And the Buckmaster is hardly a high-end scope. IIRC I paid something like $185 for it.

As someone who always balked at the idea of buying what I deemed an accessory at the same price as the rifle it would go on - I'm slowly changing my tune. I used to be incredulous at people who would go and buy a $1500-$2000 rifle and then put another two grand into a scope. Now I'm realizing the importance of matching a quality rifle with quality glass.

As far as Barskas, BSA, Bushnell, Simmons, and all those myriad scopes you can buy packaged in stapled-together plastic at WalMart - they're fine for rimfires and airsoft, but heavier recoiling guns need a higher quality of scope.

Jpach
02-24-2011, 7:46 PM
Barska is not good stuff. For the same price you can probaly score yourself a decent scope made by Vortex

Vtec44
02-24-2011, 7:50 PM
I have the exact scope on my Ruger 10/22. The mil-dot is not accurate, your range calculation will be off. At max zoom, there's a lot of image distortion. POI will be off from POA at max zoom, forgot by how much. I had it on my AR15 for a couple of months, it was able to handle the recoil just fine and held zero. I got a Burris Timerberline 3x9 not too long after for not much more. The Barska is an affordable scope if you don't care about that stuff. :)

five.five-six
02-24-2011, 8:05 PM
if you can find a used SS for $250, that's a great 300 yard AR15 scope

but yes, the glass makes the rifle, I would rather have a mosin with a $1k scope than a $2500 rifle with bad glass

to be fair, I had the baraska SWAT $189 including rings (even those broke), their less bell and whistle models may hold up better

Barska 6 - 24 x 44mm Swat Riflescope, Matte Black Finish with Mill-Dot IR Illuminated Reticle, 30mm Tube.
http://www.adorama.com/BAAC10366.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase

Description· SWAT Extreme Tactical Scopes are an unbeatable value for their outstanding performance and affordable price. Designed with a glass-etched Mil-Dot reticle of 11-brightness-settings illumination, SWAT features external target turrets and a side turret-mounted parallax adjustment for easy and quick focusing.

With its hair-splitting accuracy and impressive multi-coated optics, SWAT is ideal for varmint and long-range shooting. Built with technical precision and made forbrutal conditions, SWAT performs in extreme sub-zero temperatures or searing desert heat.

^ :rofl2: ^

*********eta

I was continually frustrated with the rifle - I had a heck of a time zeroing it and the POI seemed to wander if I used the zoom feature at all. I was ready to throw the rifle away and spend money on a much more expensive one, but I then used a.

yes frustrating is the Exact word I would choose, and my experience mirrored yours

Remus
02-24-2011, 9:24 PM
I have a pair of barska binoculars and a 3-9 scope that I purchased at big 5 for $20. The binoculars were a complete mistake but I was in a bind and they only cost 5 bucks on clearance, now that I am reminded of them I think I will trash them tomorrow. The scope serves its purpose but it is victim to all complaints of low cost scopes. If you make 4 clicks left followed by 4 clicks right the point of impact will be God only knows where. Zeroing the rifle and scope was a tedious trial and error process, but once zeroed it did not wander, this was on a 10/22. The scope seems a bit dim on the highest power setting, though I shoot mainly during mid-day so this is not a significant issue for me. The scope is functional for me on a 22 rifle in which I simply hold off target to adjust for wind/elevation, the only reason I replaced the scope was that I purchased a green mountain barrel and I wanted to see what I could do with a Mueller eradicator scope.

I have seen other forums where it is argued by some posters that their higher cost Barska scopes are not victim to these issues. For me, it is a bit like a stereo system, no one has nothing but praise for their equipment.

m1a1driver
02-24-2011, 9:29 PM
I bought a barska spotting scope, total piece of crap. it just sits in the box now, my 20x simmons scope on my AR15 works better

tommygunr
02-24-2011, 9:46 PM
My experience has been good with the Barska scopes . But the rings they come with are junk . I notice that they like to put a thin rubber film or tape on the inside of rings which causes it to wonder. Once i put good rings on it held its zero .

joshxcuh1
02-26-2011, 11:29 PM
I have had a http://www.shopbarska.com/Riflescope-4_16x50_IR_Sniper_Scope_by_Barska_red_Ir_mil_dot.h tml
for about 2 years on an AR..2000 rounds + no issues..slapped it on my 50cal beowulf for kicks and still held its 0

citystar
02-27-2011, 11:10 AM
I have barska glass on two ar15's they work perfect and hold zero. If you are one of those chairborne rangers that feel the need to spend $1200 on a scope then go ahead. I'll use the saved money for ammo.

John Haberman
02-27-2011, 1:26 PM
Make sure you keep your receipt cause you'll need it for a free repair/replacement.
I bought a large pair of zoom bino's that I use for spotting and they finely broke after 8 years or so. I sent them back to barska and paid $44.00 for a new replacement pair, if I would of kept my receipt it would have been free! I am happy it was not a total write off.
The bino's work real well and for the price you can't beat it..John

Ryan in SD
02-27-2011, 1:40 PM

Listen to the expert!

You are keen on this industry, or have some inside knowledge or experience?

Vtec44
02-27-2011, 2:12 PM
I have barska glass on two ar15's they work perfect and hold zero. If you are one of those chairborne rangers that feel the need to spend $1200 on a scope then go ahead. I'll use the saved money for ammo.

You get what you paid for. I compared my Barska scope when it was on my AR vs a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50 on a Remington 700. It's not even close especially in low light.

Flouncer
02-27-2011, 3:49 PM
I would be tickled pink, no, make that throbbing on my ginny horn, to see a true technical, unbiased review of a Barska, A Nikon, a Leup, and a Nightforce. Test em' the way the ASTM tests prophylatics. Run em' hard until they strectch and break. See some tested values, some undisputed data on light transmission, clarity, and how much boingy boingy they throb with until they quit. How much would you pay to see that ??

Throw in a Made in USA Redfield, take the guts out. Take the Burris, expose the Chinese lens, whatever. Disclose all.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU3_1zN-QSZPmyHpNw3HQSQVNzTY0qpf6Cjj2DwMHeUx9R6SDDgg

Bull Elk
02-27-2011, 5:12 PM
Barska is garbage. If $$ is the issue, save up for something better or by a Bushnell.