PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide - Left Handed .308 Bolt Gun

eclipse
02-24-2011, 12:08 AM
I currently have an AR style rifle and would like to get a bolt action rifle in .308. I want to try getting into some longer range shooting (300-800 yards) and really like the Remington 700 series.

Choosing a rifle would not be difficult except for the fact that I am a left handed shooter. There are not too many rifles offered in the 700 series that are for lefties. I really like the 700 SPS Tactical because it is only a 20" barrel but it is not offered for left handed use. I basically just have the option of the SPS Varmint, which would be great but would rather not have a 26" barrel.

Should I just go with a right handed setup? Should I be looking at other companies, such as savage? Would almost prefer to buy something used (save some money), but not many left handed rifles for sale in the market place. Just trying to see what my options are, and I would really like to keep the price of the rifle around $600-$700. Thanks for all the help!

chuck762
02-24-2011, 7:07 AM
I'm a lefty but my 3 bolt guns are right handed. I don't have any problem with them. The 2 set up for long range are either on a bipod or a rest/bag so I just use my right hand to operate the bolt.
My K98 mauser I shoot standing most the time and I just reach over and use my left hand on that since there is no scope in the way.

Since you are going to set it up for long range a right handed model might work fine for you.

Paul_R
02-24-2011, 7:26 AM
Another lefty with right handed bolt guns here.

Buying left handed guns severely limits your choices and besides, shooting from a bipod/rest with a right handed gun frees up your non trigger hand for bolt cycling duty and is actually an advantage.

vintagearms
02-24-2011, 8:03 AM
Just get the Rem SPS Varmit and have the barrel cut down to 22" .

MFortie
02-24-2011, 8:12 AM

Agreed. Though I have a LH SPS Varmint and like it just the way it is...

smle-man
02-24-2011, 8:21 AM
I'm left handed and after years of shooting right handed bolt guns I bought a LH 700. I hated it and traded it off. RH actions work fine for me particuarly for bench rest type shooting.

eclipse
02-24-2011, 9:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I may just go with a RH gun. Does anyone know how much it costs to have a barrel cut down?

Twoodland
02-24-2011, 9:37 AM
What's wrong with a 26" barrel?

vintagearms
02-24-2011, 9:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I may just go with a RH gun. Does anyone know how much it costs to have a barrel cut down?

Ask this guy. http://www.ar15barrels.com/ He is one of the members of the CA Precision Rifle Club.

goodlookin1
02-24-2011, 9:49 AM
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 in a left handed model. Love it....super accurate right out of the box. Trigger is the nicest stock trigger I've ever felt.

Paul_R
02-24-2011, 9:51 AM
... Does anyone know how much it costs to have a barrel cut down?

A lot more than it's worth IMHO.

eclipse
02-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Theres nothing wrong with a 26" barrel, I would just prefer something shorter. It may not be worth it to have it cut down, thats why I would rather just get the length I want to begin with. I have a 16" AR, 26" just seems really long. 20-24" I think would be better (for me).

Paul_R
02-24-2011, 4:28 PM
Theres nothing wrong with a 26" barrel, I would just prefer something shorter. It may not be worth it to have it cut down, thats why I would rather just get the length I want to begin with. I have a 16" AR, 26" just seems really long. 20-24" I think would be better (for me).

Excellent logic though 20" is generally considered a bit short for the distances you're talking about. That's not to say I wouldn't buy a Remington 700 Tactical with a 20" bull.....:D

I have a rifle with a 26" barrel and I can't seem to walk across a room without hitting it on something.

rareair
02-24-2011, 4:41 PM
Left-handed Remington 700SPS w/ 24" barrel. Good thing about it being LH, none of my friends can shoot it

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/RareAirResto/Armory/DSC_2127Large.jpg

rksimple
02-24-2011, 4:52 PM
If you're going to keep it to 800 yards, a 20" barrel is more than sufficient. Put your money into optics and reloading equipment.

Ed_Hazard
02-24-2011, 4:59 PM
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 in a left handed model. Love it....super accurate right out of the box. Trigger is the nicest stock trigger I've ever felt.

Yup I lucked out on a Tikka 595LH in 308, accurate as well as handy. I dont really do any long distance or serious precision shooting, but as my mobility issues get worse, run and gun events are getting harder to do, so might want to start looking into it more now.

Also love thte fact tht the LH action keeps my brothers sticky hands away. ;)

eclipse
02-24-2011, 6:01 PM
Left-handed Remington 700SPS w/ 24" barrel. Good thing about it being LH, none of my friends can shoot it

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/RareAirResto/Armory/DSC_2127Large.jpg

I only saw a 26" Left Handed model from Remington. Which model is it? Where did you get yours?

Thanks for all the input guys!

vintagearms
02-24-2011, 8:43 PM
I only saw a 26" Left Handed model from Remington. Which model is it? Where did you get yours?

Thanks for all the input guys!

I believe he had his cut down.

BDH
02-24-2011, 9:36 PM
You can have whatever you want when it comes to actions. The only barrier is price. Start with a custom action. This link http://www.accurateshooter.com/admin/sponsors/ will show you more toys (nice actions) that can be barreled, stocked and enjoyed.

I took a LH Rem .270 700 many years ago and rebarreled it with a Hart .308 bbl, installed a bolt stop to convert the bolt throw from a long action to a short action and had fun with it.

Get the 26" bbl, have a "qualified" gunsmith cut the bbl down to whatever length you want and have fun!

Bruce

rareair
02-24-2011, 11:11 PM

My 700 is a SPS model (Special Purpose Stock) I special ordered it to have a 24" barrel & Left-hand BDL. Didn't cost any extra $$$ either. Placed the order May 20th, 2010. Arrived at my dealer the very next day. Don't know who the distributor is though

ke6guj
02-25-2011, 1:19 AM
remington offers the 700P in a lefty config. It is a limited availability version not even shown on remington's police webiste, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=217682244 . I'm thinking of picking one up one of these days. or else, find a take off LH 700P stock and putting that onto a SPS Varmit action.

Los
02-25-2011, 6:37 AM
Im in the same boat shopping for a LH gun, I know the savages can be ordered LH at no additional cost and are within your price range. Im Most likely going the Savage direction, seems to be the most bang for my buck

Army
02-25-2011, 9:24 AM
Obviously, you are getting advice from people that have no clue... :D

Savage has lefty models in just about every style/caliber you could want. You'll not be giving up anything to any other gun maker, except high prices.

41M
02-25-2011, 12:48 PM
I have several right-handed bolt guns that I enjoy, but as a left-handed shooter I am glad I went with left-handed versions for both my Remington 700 VSS and my Savage 10FLP (in .223 Rem). I do not find the 26" barrel to be an issue at all, even with a heavy barrel of that length the rifle handles well.

Kalman
02-25-2011, 1:15 PM

This would be what I'd probably do. 20, 22, 24" or just leave it as is all depending on your plans for the rifle.

eclipse
02-25-2011, 1:35 PM
Thanks again for all the help guys. Unfortunately, now my decision has become harder. I was just gonna get a RH R700, then was gonna do a LH one and cut it down, and now I am looking at the LH Savage rifles. I know this is probably too generic of a question, but do most of the Savages come shooting 1moa or better out of box (at 100 yards)? Looking at the 11 FLNS, 16 FLHSS, and the 10 FLCP-K.

Army
02-25-2011, 1:51 PM
I know this is probably too generic of a question, but do most of the Savages come shooting 1moa or better out of box (at 100 yards)? Looking at the 11 FLNS, 16 FLHSS, and the 10 FLCP-K.
Savage rifles have been touted for many decades as the most accurate factory rifles right out of the box. COL Craig Boddington (of multiple gun periodicle and Marine Corp fame) shot his smallest group ever, with a box stock .22-250 a few years ago.

Team Savage, in F-Class, has simply cleaned up in international competition.

Yeah, they shoot.

Any custom stuff you want, go to Sharp Shooter Supply (www.sharpshootersupply.com), Fred will set you right.

danito
02-25-2011, 2:09 PM
For a left handed shooter Savage is the way to go

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_HXokKhTH5bs/TWgoB1Qr_VI/AAAAAAAAErE/UoVdrl9mHmI/s800/IMAG0126.jpg

eclipse
02-25-2011, 2:17 PM
For a left handed shooter Savage is the way to go

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_HXokKhTH5bs/TWgoB1Qr_VI/AAAAAAAAErE/UoVdrl9mHmI/s800/IMAG0126.jpg

That looks really nice! Which savage is that?

danito
02-25-2011, 2:28 PM
Garage gun smithing at its best

It started out as model 111 (long action) 30.06. I then re-barreled it using a 308 varmint contour courtesy of midway usa. The barrel swap turned out to pretty simple with the right tools. Head spacing with the go / no-go gauges was also really easy. The AICS magazine / bottom metal is from CDI Precision, and the stock is from Choate. I in set the bottom metal assembly in the stock myself using a dermal and lots of trial and error fitting. In hind sight I would pay CDI to do it for me next time and save me hours of aggravation and filing (lol)

But all in all it was a fun project and I got what I wanted. But you can also buy just about any configuration as lefty from the factory.

eclipse
02-25-2011, 3:48 PM
I know sharp shooter supply was mentioned, but anyone know of any other good places to order a savage rifle? SSS looks good, but would most likely be out of my price range and their wait time seems very high.

Rhongman
02-25-2011, 3:51 PM
Get a right-handed rifle. Then practice and become proficient at shooting strong and weak side. You'll be a better marksman for it. :gunsmilie:

DasBoost
02-25-2011, 6:37 PM
My $.02 on the LH rifle issue. I'm a lefty and shoot pistols LH and rifles RH. Shooting rifles RH, especially bolt, doesn't seem that hard when shooting from the bench or a rest. My K31 is RH and it doesn't seem awkward or difficult. However, the Remington OP describes would be nice in LH for a nice "hands off, me only" feel. However, the Howa 20" truck-gun I'm looking at would be RH and I have no issues with it.

Fjold
02-25-2011, 8:16 PM
In some of the big name production rifle shoots like the egg shoots, etc they are offering extra prizes to anyone who can win with any other brand of production rifle besides a Savage. So far they haven't been able to give any of these prizes out.

Bellehood
02-25-2011, 8:27 PM
I am a lefty who grew up shooting RH bolties, I own 3 RH bolt guns, but my favorite rifle is my LH Tikka T3 in .308. Great gun, amazing trigger, and affordable, I looked at getting a Browning A-bolt with a LH bolt, but the Tikka was cheaper, and I actually believe it to be the better rifle of the two. If i were to get another LH, it would probably be a savage.

peterabbits
02-25-2011, 9:22 PM
i have a LH tikka t3 .30-06 for my deer hunting gun and absolutely love it. i know you're looking for something a little more long distance and i actually went down the road you're on a couple years ago because all the heavy barreled long distance guns but savage and remington 700 were righty. i finally decided that with a bipod and a bench it actually would be better to go RH because then i could work the action w/ my RH while keeping LH on the action. haven't acted on it yet but i intend to get the Tikka tactical .308 eventually. the action on my T3 is buttery smooth and the rifle is far more accurate than i am, and the price was super reasonable.