PDA

View Full Version : JD recievers go no go?

Jack M.
02-23-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm building my first AR. Being a lefty I bought a Stag left handed upper. I ordered a stripped Stag lower reciever, a Stag lower parts kit, a drop in Timney one stage 4lb. trigger. Unfortunatly for reasons I don't understand my Stag lower may not come before I take a AR Armorers course followed by a four day rifle class. The shop I ordered it from is asking me to take a JD Interprize lower instead of a Stag. I have heard from a few sources that for the most part lower recievers don't make or break a rifle it's the upper and the trigger that make a good or bad shooter. Being new I thought having a Stag lower to go with my Stag upper was the way to go. What I'm trying to say is does it really matter what brand lower reciever I use and are JD Interprize lowers as good as Stags or many of the others.

BOFH
02-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Go.

oldmotor
02-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Have a JD and it's pretty good quality. But if you just want a Stag lower to match your Stag upper, then tell them no.

tenpercentfirearms
02-24-2011, 6:32 AM
In the grand scheme of things the lower means nothing. A JD would be perfectly fine on your rifle.

However I agree that you should build what you want and not accept something else.

Check www.lanworldinc.com by giving them a call. They usually have Stag lowers in stock and could probably have on here by the end of your ten day wait.

killshot44
02-24-2011, 8:53 AM
The JD would be fine, but get exactly what you want or you'll always have that nagging in your head.

FWIW, I think the Stag lowers have a nicer finish than most.

dieselpower
02-24-2011, 9:02 AM
JD is a Go. They did a upgrade to the Lower by relocating the take-down pin detent which I think is the best upgrade to the design in 25 years. Even if it isnt that model I would get it if I was in your position.

Look at all the holes and see if there are two where the pistol grip goes. The second one, (on the right side) is where the take-down detent goes in.

The hole on the left is of course the safety selector detent.

you will understand what I am saying when you see it.

pacrimguru
02-24-2011, 9:15 AM
i just helped a friend build his JD calguns lower. has anyone noticed that this batch's anodizing was a bit thick? or is it the tolerances are different from their run a few months back? certain LPK parts were snug and mags don't drop freely from the magwell.

dieselpower
02-24-2011, 9:26 AM
i just helped a friend build his JD calguns lower. has anyone noticed that this batch's anodizing was a bit thick? or is it the tolerances are different from their run a few months back? certain LPK parts were snug and mags don't drop freely from the magwell.

dam if a magazine doesnt drop that was way too thick. did it do it with all magazines or just PMags or just like the one mag you had...more info plz.

DDRH
02-24-2011, 9:57 AM
hella go!

L4D
02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
hella go!

you are so bay area.

They are go.

xxINKxx
02-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Jd is good. The one I bought it had super tight tolerances then other lowers. It seemed as if Everything was tighter and harder to put together, mags also fit really tight in the magwell. But it's good to go though, I use it on my main ar and love it.

RLTW
02-24-2011, 10:12 AM
JD makes Stag and a few other brand name lowers.

Either is the same except the cool looking Deer or the better looking JD reticle symbol.. User preference

xxINKxx
02-24-2011, 10:20 AM

I just posted on post 11 how mine seemed tight too. My mags would stick also like you said, and the take down pins are supppper snug too to.

Glad im not the only one with this issue.

eville
02-24-2011, 10:26 AM
i bought an unmarked JD lower last year. The bolt catch pin was TIGHT, also the front take down pin was very tight. I had to work the pin and hole a little.

I have two more CALGUNS lowers to build up. I better check the mag wells.

L4D
02-24-2011, 10:27 AM
I just posted on post 11 how mine seemed tight too. My mags would stick also like you said, and the take down pins are supppper snug too to.

Hmm I guess I ended up with one of the older ones with the regular detent hole in the back. My anodizing seemed a little thin.

PEBKAC
02-24-2011, 10:32 AM
If the coating chipping off (for example, around the takedown pin holes) given minimal use is a symptom of the anodizing being too thick, then yes I have noticed this as well.

DDRH
02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Hmm I guess I ended up with one of the older ones with the regular detent hole in the back. My anodizing seemed a little thin.

JD is a Go. They did a upgrade to the Lower by relocating the take-down pin detent which I think is the best upgrade to the design in 25 years. Even if it isnt that model I would get it if I was in your position.

Look at all the holes and see if there are two where the pistol grip goes. The second one, (on the right side) is where the take-down detent goes in.

The hole on the left is of course the safety selector detent.

you will understand what I am saying when you see it.

anyone got a comparison pic? got no idea what ya'll r talkin' bout

CK_32
02-24-2011, 11:05 AM
OP just buy a new JD lower from a shop your your G2G.

I trust them as much as I would trust a any other lower. If it was on sale when I bought my mega lower I probably would have taken a JD just for the cooler logo.. Other than that MOST aka just about all with exception of a crappy few lowers are just about exactly the same.

slick_711
02-24-2011, 1:36 PM
JD makes Stag and a few other brand name lowers.

Either is the same except the cool looking Deer or the better looking JD reticle symbol.. User preference

Say wha?

JD lowers are definitely good to go, but unless something has drastically changed in the last 6 months JD does not make Stag lowers. I believe Stag's lowers have traditionally been made by CMT.

JD has in the past made lowers for Noveske, Spike's, Calguns, and some of the CA gun shops to name a few, but I never saw a Stag rollmark come off their machines. I'm getting ready to file the NFA paperwork to SBR my latest build, and I'm doing that with a JD lower. That should be a pretty good vote of confidence. :D

RONIN.
02-24-2011, 2:33 PM
JD lowers are good to go.. i have a few a couple of ar15 lowers of theirs and i got one of there matched sets for the 308.. for a 308 carbine i built.. and the fit and finish was amazing..

hotfire
02-24-2011, 2:34 PM
Thank you, finally someone else that has the same tight tolerances. My JD lower was tight to get some of the roll pins in. I had to put my lower in a vice to screw in the buffer tube. Also my safety switch is a little tough to move back and forth than other AR's I've tried. Though it could be a good thing since it sort of makes the selector more safe.

slick_711
02-24-2011, 2:45 PM
Also my safety switch is a little tough to move back and forth than other AR's I've tried. Though it could be a good thing since it sort of makes the selector more safe.

That's not exactly a bad thing, but if it's really that tough, pop off your pistol grip and cut 2 coils off the spring. Typically that has more to do with your pistol grip, the length of the detent plunger tube is the same from lower to lower. Some of the aftermarket pistol grips (Ergo for instance) can be a little shallow where the spring recesses into the grip itself.

I've built over a dozen JD lowers for myself and friends over the past few years and have been happy with all of them. This most recent one locked up with an Armalite A4 upper so tight that I can't wait to get the 12.5" barrel in there and go shoot it. The whole darn rifle is rock solid.

mike_the_wino
02-24-2011, 2:52 PM
JD is go to go. If you really an all 'Stag' gun, swap parts around on your next build.

Oh yes, there will be another build. Trust me.

rareair
02-24-2011, 4:21 PM
JD makes quality pieces.

To the OP: I too mated a Left-hand Stag 2HTL upper to my JD lower with ZERO problems.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/RareAirResto/Armory/DSC_2138Large.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/RareAirResto/Armory/DSC_2134Large.jpg

Stooman
02-24-2011, 4:30 PM
Between the stag and jd, just get the one with the rollmark you prefer. For me, with the JD being made here in San Diego and the nice rollmark, it was an easy choice.

hotfire
03-02-2011, 2:31 PM
So Im still working on my AR and my JD lower is complete. I recently purchased a C products 10/30 mag and Im wondering when you release the mag is it supposed to be drop free? I tried both with an unloaded mag and a loaded mag and both times when I release the mag I feel the mag disengage but it wont budge unless I give it a firm pull.

Is it possibly a bad mag or the lower is over anodized. The finish started coming off the mag when I kept taking it in and out. Any suggestions, thanks.

OHW
03-02-2011, 2:40 PM
Between the stag and jd, just get the one with the rollmark you prefer. For me, with the JD being made here in San Diego and the nice rollmark, it was an easy choice.

JD logo is CNC etched. Stag is a roll mark. CNC is much cleaner and looks better when color filled.

Current build is a Stag. No complants but the color fill in the fire/safe was hard to make look clean.
All my future builds will be on JD lowers and uppers. They are my goto for quality and service.

Disgruntled Gunny
04-25-2011, 1:23 PM
I have 2x Bushmasters, one DPMS, and 7 JD lowers. I have only colorfilled a few of my AR's, but the JD lowers always turn out best. And I've never had one "fail" on me mechanically.

john.t.singh
04-25-2011, 1:34 PM
Jd new batch are over anodized so some pins and mag wells will have a harder time fitting

tonelar
04-25-2011, 1:41 PM
Neither; get the JD with the Calguns logo.

left-handed
04-25-2011, 2:04 PM
I'm in the process of putting my first AR together, and I will be going with a JD to mate to my Noveske N4 upper. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and they're from my hometown (go SD!). I'm also going with the Calguns logo--the irony of having a rifle built in the governor's backyard is pretty entertaining.

left-handed
04-25-2011, 2:07 PM
Oh Jack, for what it's worth, I am also a lefty (not sure if my user name gives it away or not... haha)

only10x
04-25-2011, 2:15 PM
JD made lowers for Noveske :p

stix213
04-25-2011, 3:46 PM
My JD Machine lower turned out just fine. Plus you get to rub it in people's faces that not only do you have a CA legal AR..... but you have one made in CA :D

Disgruntled Gunny
04-25-2011, 3:58 PM
And in my case, my initials are "J D" so even better!

baloot-boy
04-25-2011, 4:04 PM
I was gonna buy a JD lower initially, but a local shop talked me out of it for most of the reasons listed above in this thread. I went with Mega billet where the fit and finish was great. Of course I paid extra for it though.

Disgruntled Gunny
04-25-2011, 4:37 PM
JD is the house brand for the lowers they make for noveske and other companies. If the "local gun shop" you speak of is located in Mira Mesa, there is another reason they talked you out of JD. But I won't go into that.

Charger Mark
04-25-2011, 4:49 PM
JD is the house brand for the lowers they make for noveske and other companies. If the "local gun shop" you speak of is located in Mira Mesa, there is another reason they talked you out of JD. But I won't go into that.

There is another reason other than the claim the anodizing had put it out of spec? Please elaborate. I was wondering why I couldn't get a San Diego product in a San Diego shop.

Disgruntled Gunny
04-25-2011, 4:56 PM
I won't name the shop by name... When they got their FFL, they did an initial purchase of lowers from JD at an introductory price. But when the price went back to the regular price that dealers get and they got their pants in a wad. Now they refuse to carry JD lowers but carry other JD products.

I don't advocate for or against the dealer. I myself shop there. However I got this info direct from Jesse at JD.

Disgruntled Gunny
04-25-2011, 5:00 PM
If you are in San Diego and want JD, just go down and meet the guys and gals and get a tour. They sell from their office as well, so you can order what you want. Custom anything. And prices are good.

Damn, they need go start paying me. Haha

Charger Mark
04-25-2011, 5:02 PM
Now they refuse to carry JD lowers but carry other JD products.

Yeah, that's what was weird about the whole thing. I got a JD A3 upper and a JD .920 gas block but they didn't carry the lower receivers anymore. Interesting.

TacDriver5five6
04-25-2011, 5:05 PM
:thumbsup:... and they have really good customer service.

rareair
04-25-2011, 6:59 PM
If this "unnamed shop in Mira Mesa" won't carry JD lowers, their loss. All other gun shops have no problem carrying them- American Shooting Center, Royal Loan, California Police Equipment, Southern California Gun, Discount Gun Mart and quite a few other shops in the San Diego area. Heck you can even head on down to JDs as they'll sell them too

rareair
04-25-2011, 7:00 PM
If you are in San Diego and want JD, just go down and meet the guys and gals and get a tour. They sell from their office as well, so you can order what you want. Custom anything. And prices are GREAT.

Fixed it for you ;)

Us3rName
04-25-2011, 7:06 PM
If you go to youtube and search up jdmachine there is a user who posted up a start to finish tour of JD machine shop lowers. I have a jdupper and it fits very tight on my lmt lower and my friends spikes.

hornswaggled
04-25-2011, 7:23 PM
Got a stripped JD for $109 at discount gun mart. Nice piece, went together fine with a Bushmaster LPK and A2 stock from the 1990s.

baloot-boy
04-28-2011, 8:39 PM
I won't name the shop by name... When they got their FFL, they did an initial purchase of lowers from JD at an introductory price. But when the price went back to the regular price that dealers get and they got their pants in a wad. Now they refuse to carry JD lowers but carry other JD products.

I don't advocate for or against the dealer. I myself shop there. However I got this info direct from Jesse at JD.

Thanks for the info. I was really curious about that.

Flintlock Tom
04-29-2011, 9:53 AM
My most recent rifle was assembled using a Stag 7H upper and a JD lower: Perfect fit, flawless operation, happy owner.
The only gripe I have with the JD lower is that the pistol grip mount hole was not threaded all the way through. It took considerable effort, and oil, to get the mounting bolt all the way in. I checked to make sure I hadn't cross-threaded the bolt hole and just ran the bolt in and out until the threads were fixed. I looks like the tap was not run all the way into the FCG void.

intheknow
05-02-2011, 8:00 AM
I got a JD, just finished my rifle not too long ago... just make sure you closely inspect the surfaces in great detail for imperfections ( goes for all things in life)

hnoppenberger
05-02-2011, 9:37 AM
every jd ive put together was way too tight for my likings. i would not buy them for that reason. ive seen them with the front take down pin having to be punched out to take the upper off.

TiMe_1
05-02-2011, 10:39 AM
I have a JD "calguns" lower that im in the process of assembling and its nice. I had a hell of a time gettin the roll pin in for the bolt release yesterday tho. Im not lookin forward to doin the one for trigger guard LOL

rareair
05-02-2011, 3:08 PM
I have a JD "calguns" lower that im in the process of assembling and its nice. I had a hell of a time gettin the roll pin in for the bolt release yesterday tho. Im not lookin forward to doin the one for trigger guard LOL

A little oil, masking tape & a good set of pliers will do the job just fine

Don29palms
05-02-2011, 3:55 PM

Are you using a DPMS LPK? If you are it's not the receiver it's the roll pins.

P.S. The rifle in my signature has a JD Machine upper/lower.

calistile
05-04-2011, 12:17 PM

I was one of the folks that got JD lowers from the shop in question. Sad thing they don't carry, but heck, I'm with you, just go to JD directly. I went there yesterday, and let me tell you. An amazing shop, Jesse gives a great tour, and you get direct from the source.

I'm so glad to see the quality and craftsmanship that went into my lower. Which is why I went to Jesse to inquire about starting my AR-10 build :D

G1500
05-04-2011, 4:44 PM

I know this is an old(er) thread, but I bought 3 JD lowers from Rifle gear in January. They are all sequentially numbered. When fitting an upper onto the lower, they are all different, out of the three, one fits perfectly, one fits pretty snug, and the other is so tight, the rear takedown needs to be punched out with a punch and a hammer, or a few good blows with something else.