PDA

View Full Version : New Guy from Scotland

metallicat
02-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi Folks,

Glad to have found this forum, seems a friendly source of knowledge.

I've recently moved to CA from the UK, I am a UK Citizen. Having searched the internet, I have found it difficult to get a definitive answer, but does anyone know if 1. I can legally purchase a gun, and 2. Is there any restrictions to types of guns I can buy (handgun/rifle etc...)

I've always had a passion for guns and military hardware, owning which is a luxury we dont have in the UK, so I would definitely like to get started with something.

My first thoughts are maybe a handgun within a price range of $400-500, can anyone give me a good recommendation to get me started?

Thanks in advance!

battleship
02-23-2011, 10:33 PM
If you have a green card, Not a work permit and you meet all, the DOJ requirments, i.e. your not a felon, or wack job etc. then your good to go, get your HSC card and have 3 months proof or were you live such as gas/electric bill.

You will have no more restrictions on what you buy as any of us do in this State.

Welcome to cali and calguns.

metallicat
02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
@battleship

Thanks for the welcome and getting back to me. I think that is where the confusion lies for me. I dont have a green card but do have a work permit. I do however have a driving lis and SSN etc, and will have resided here for 3 months shortly, inc no criminal record etc.. would this suffice?

Do you guys have a sticky post on one of your forums that details the process to purchase a weapon, so as not to have me asking many questions, and not to disrupt the harmony of the welcome forum!

battleship
02-23-2011, 10:57 PM
I believe its a no go with just a work permit, green card gives you permanent residence status, work permit will run out and you will either have to renew it or leave the country.

Good news is you have one foot in the door on your way to getting a green card, that should be your priority now.

Research INS change of status, to permanent resident or if you have some cash consult an INS attorney to help you get your status changed.

IF your in the Bay Area your welcome to come shoot some of my guns while your here.

There are Plenty of Brits on this forum me included.

anthonyca
02-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Hi Folks,

Glad to have found this forum, seems a friendly source of knowledge.

I've recently moved to CA from the UK, I am a UK Citizen. Having searched the internet, I have found it difficult to get a definitive answer, but does anyone know if 1. I can legally purchase a gun, and 2. Is there any restrictions to types of guns I can buy (handgun/rifle etc...)

I've always had a passion for guns and military hardware, owning which is a luxury RIGHT we dont have in the UK, so I would definitely like to get started with something.

My first thoughts are maybe a handgun within a price range of $400-500, can anyone give me a good recommendation to get me started?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the great USA and calguns. I am on my phone and didn't know how to cross out the word luxury so I put the correct word next to it. :D

Buying a gun can be intimidating in California due to the state government not respecting our rights and therefore us having to go through all the paperwork. Most gun shops are on high alert and don't make a gun purchase a pleasant process.

I am sure that after you meet the requirements for gun ownership some calgunners would be glad to meet you at a range so you could see and shoot different guns and maybe even accompany you to a gun shop.

This is great. You just got here and you already want to exercise one of the natural born rights protected by our beautiful constitution. Welcome again.

zod
02-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Welcome to the U.S. and to the good ole PRK. Good luck on your journey to becoming a gun owner in this great state. Don't give up! If there is a way, you will definitely find the info you seek on here.

.22guy
02-24-2011, 2:45 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

mikaarce
02-24-2011, 3:25 PM
Welcome, do some more reading, they ask for a copy of your "green card" if not a US citizen, Alien reg. no., including valid Cali. ID, 3 mos. billing. then your good to go. like what battleship said, you have one foot on the door and work toward acquiring a greencard.

Khram
02-24-2011, 4:06 PM
You can buy a gun without a green card. Don't remember all the details but I think you have to have a hunting license as well. Where are you located? I can recommend some places to take a hunter safety course. Is about an 8hr class and like $25-35.

BisDak
02-24-2011, 4:37 PM
Welcome!

Owning a gun is a no go in your case. Don't worry, you can still enjoy shooting without the ownership. There are a lot of gun ranges around that will let you rent firearms.

As for other military related things - You are good to go if it is an "over the counter" purchase. Although some purchases might require an ID.

Khram
02-24-2011, 4:42 PM
Welcome!

Owning a gun is a no go in your case. .

You 100% sure about that?

Colt-45
02-24-2011, 4:53 PM

I'm wondering the same. If that's 100% sure then what's that "non-resident alien" section at the bottom of the first page of the dros?

I'm not certain, he **might** be able to buy a gun there just might be very few FFLs who actually know the process.

OP, I would ask the DOJ, just be very clear and specific about your situation.

BisDak
02-24-2011, 5:04 PM

10-4.

Call DOJ for more info at

Phone: (916) 263-4887 Fax: (916) 263-0676

He can actually purchase a firearm on condition that it has to be transferred to a receiving FFL in his country. In his case, the UK (not a very friendly country in terms of RKBA).

Khram
02-24-2011, 5:09 PM
I'd suggest the OP post this question in the FFL forum here. I think it has been brought up before.

nagorb
02-24-2011, 5:18 PM
I'd suggest the OP post this question in the FFL forum here. I think it has been brought up before.

That would be the best solution. or PM one of the FFLs who posts here regularly ie tenpercent.

thetaxman
02-24-2011, 5:26 PM
Perfectly acceptable for a non-immigrant alien to purchase and own a firearm.

Need the following:

Passport with Visa and INS entry stamp inside - must have been in the US for the last 90 days and not have left - no exceptions - its a Fed requirement.
CA issued Hunting License - easy to get and this is the requirement listed on the 4473
Valid CA DL
Second proof of residence as per usual rules if buying a handgun
90 days of utility bills etc - varies by FFL - PGE usually a good place to start.

PM me and I'll talk you through like I have done for many others in your position.

thetaxman
02-24-2011, 5:28 PM
10-4.

Call DOJ for more info at

Phone: (916) 263-4887 Fax: (916) 263-0676

He can actually purchase a firearm on condition that it has to be transferred to a receiving FFL in his country. In his case, the UK (not a very friendly country in terms of RKBA).

Incorrect. And you'd never get an export license under ITAR as a private individual (C&R/Antique aside - I've seen that happen a few times).

BisDak
02-24-2011, 5:39 PM
Perfectly acceptable for a non-immigrant alien to purchase and own a firearm.

Need the following:

Passport with Visa and INS entry stamp inside - must have been in the US for the last 90 days and not have left - no exceptions - its a Fed requirement.
CA issued Hunting License - easy to get and this is the requirement listed on the 4473
Valid CA DL
Second proof of residence as per usual rules if buying a handgun
90 days of utility bills etc - varies by FFL - PGE usually a good place to start.

PM me and I'll talk you through like I have done for many others in your position.

OK then. Let the Taxman help.

nagorb
02-24-2011, 5:42 PM
OK then. Let the Taxman help.

You might want to go back and change your statements or provide proof.

Khram
02-24-2011, 5:47 PM
I knew I was right. I should have bet you :) I have given guns to green card holders but not others so I'm not as up on their requirements. I used to work with someone with a work permit that bought guns. That was pre 9-11 though, I think rules tightened after that.

metallicat
02-24-2011, 10:29 PM
WOW sparked a real interesting debate here, and like I said before, hard to get a definitive answer! Thanks for all your welcomes and responses, its helpful and does feel welcoming. I live in Long Beach.

I would be classed as a 'non-permanent resident' or a 'non-resident alien', have a full 5 year visa, nearly 90 days residence, 2 months bills, 4-6 week wait on my CA Driving license.

So as far a paperwork goes, i'm almost there, bit more waiting to go, but this isnt something i want to rush into so it works. The new part for me is the hunting license; having never considered it before, I think that could be a good experience, if nothing less for gun safety etc.. it will be something I'll look into.

@thetaxman, are you an expat yourself, or know someone who is in a similar situ who has went through this process, with it working out ok?

I guess my next question is where would people recommend I do my first purchase in the LA area, as more help/least intimidating vendors?

xmustanguyx
02-25-2011, 3:03 AM
You will have no more restrictions on what you buy as any of us do in this State.

Welcome to cali and calguns.

No less either! Lol, your comment made me sit back and realize all the BS I put up with to keep/store/transport weapons here in california! But I couldn't imagine what it's like in the UK.

DeanW66
02-25-2011, 8:45 AM
Welcome aboard!

Khram
02-25-2011, 12:52 PM
A hunting class would be good for you I'd think even if you don't want to hunt. Many are offered in your area.

Clay_Bigs_WFP
02-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Welcome my Scotish friend. I myself have much of my roots from Scotland. As far as hand guns go. Check out Glock. I own a Glock and want to buy another. You might pay a little more than what you stated, but it's worth it. :) welcome to calguns! It's the best place to be!

nagorb
02-25-2011, 2:47 PM
WOW sparked a real interesting debate here, and like I said before, hard to get a definitive answer! Thanks for all your welcomes and responses, its helpful and does feel welcoming. I live in Long Beach.

I would be classed as a 'non-permanent resident' or a 'non-resident alien', have a full 5 year visa, nearly 90 days residence, 2 months bills, 4-6 week wait on my CA Driving license.

So as far a paperwork goes, i'm almost there, bit more waiting to go, but this isnt something i want to rush into so it works. The new part for me is the hunting license; having never considered it before, I think that could be a good experience, if nothing less for gun safety etc.. it will be something I'll look into.

@thetaxman, are you an expat yourself, or know someone who is in a similar situ who has went through this process, with it working out ok?

I guess my next question is where would people recommend I do my first purchase in the LA area, as more help/least intimidating vendors?

I would suggest checking out the shoots and meets section and hook up with some guys in your area, calgunners love to get new people into shooting.

den888
02-25-2011, 4:16 PM
Welcome!

daveinwoodland
02-25-2011, 4:18 PM
Welcome and don't forget, "Stay off the Moors"

bjl333
02-25-2011, 8:25 PM
Welcome to Calguns !!!

BlackJack
02-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Glad you joined Calguns. Welcome.