PDA

View Full Version : ak build

gunnerman
02-23-2011, 7:03 PM
I have a ak yugo lower and parts kit. My question is what are the most cost effective parts to replace in order to make it cal legal? I just want to make it functional. It's been sitting around for at least 4 or 5 years. back then no one would put it together.

ElvenSoul
02-23-2011, 7:10 PM
Most likely trigger, stock, and gas piston...I would venture...check out the CalGuns Flow Chart for more help..Are you going to go featureless or with a bullet button device?

yoageallen
02-23-2011, 7:19 PM
bullet button device for fixed mag. For 922r compliance, a tapco trigger group which is three parts and purchase a Tapco magazine which is three parts. That would give you the cheapest compliance. If you want the rifle to be compliant with out the american magazine get a U.S. made barrel, and a flash hider. These included with your American reciever would make the rifle compliant. That way if you had a foreign ten round magazine you would not have a problem by accident. You also absolutely can not have a magazine that has more than ten rounds in the rifle, ever!

gunnerman
02-23-2011, 7:25 PM
i want to go with the bullet button.

sounds great. now just gotta wait for the next ak build party

gunnerman
02-23-2011, 7:28 PM
also, what would I need to do to convert it from an underfolder to a fixed stock

gunnerman
02-23-2011, 7:38 PM
one more question...should i go with a single or double hook trigger? what is the difference between the two?

yoageallen
02-23-2011, 7:48 PM
A single hook trigger is all that is needed. A second hook only increases drag and makes a harder trigger pull. You would need to weld the holes closed in the yugo reciever and install a rear trunnion for a fixed stock. Easy job for someone who can weld. A welding shop could so this as long as it is still disassembled. I am in Fresno and could help if needed.

gunnerman
02-23-2011, 7:51 PM
man...too bad i'm in socal...thanks for the offer though. anyone in socal able to help out?

danger707
02-23-2011, 8:10 PM
you could get a receiver with fixed stock trunnion holes and buy a fixed stock trunnion

SJgunguy24
02-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Most likely trigger, stock, and gas piston...I would venture...check out the CalGuns Flow Chart for more help..Are you going to go featureless or with a bullet button device?

Gas piston on Yugo's is shorter then your standard AKM.

also, what would I need to do to convert it from an underfolder to a fixed stock

Trade your kit for a fixed stock kit. What receiver do you have for your build?

one more question...should i go with a single or double hook trigger? what is the difference between the two?

Double hook is a safety measure for FA guns, if you have an NDS 4 or 5 there should be cuts for the double hook trigger. You'll need 6 parts for compliance, the receiver is one. A Tapco G2 will count as 3 (4 so far), swap the pistol grip and muzzle device for us made and your at the magic number of 6.
Is you kit a bulged type with the extra thick receiver or a slab side using a standard 1mm receiver?

gunnerman
02-24-2011, 5:37 AM
i'll have to take a look at the receiver. It's been in a box since I bought it a few years ago.

gunnerman
02-24-2011, 5:38 AM
i'll be able to get to it this weekend. How difficult is it change the muzzle device?

gunnerman
02-24-2011, 5:39 AM
I want to use what i have already.

you could get a receiver with fixed stock trunnion holes and buy a fixed stock trunnion

gunnerman
02-24-2011, 11:56 PM
great info btw

Josh3239
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
i'll be able to get to it this weekend. How difficult is it change the muzzle device?

If it is in good shape you just push down the detent protruding from the front sight base and going into the muzzle device and than spin the muzzle device off. Remember it is left hand thread.

I want to use what i have already.

Impossible unless you want to pin the folding stock open. The folding stock uses its own stock, trunnion and receiver. The fixed stock uses its own stock, trunnion and receiver. You have two ways to do that, either shell out the money for the right parts or modify them. If you choose to modify them, that is a lot of work, mostly because of the amount of material cut for the underfolding trunnion. I would think because of the amount of material cut you'd have to weld up all the holes in the rear of the receiver, buy a new trunnion and fixed stock, then drill the holes for the rear trunnion. Either way your going to have to buy a new stock and trunnion, there is no getting around that. You can either weld and re-drill the receiver or sell it and use the money you make from it to fund a new receiver.

motochris
02-25-2011, 1:54 PM
What's everybodies preference on the AK "bullet button"? I've seen a few different styles and such... just want something simple to use and clean looking.

gunnerman
02-26-2011, 12:30 AM
I was going to do what you mentioned with a fixed stock. it may be easy to just rivet/pin open the underfolder.

JeffM
02-26-2011, 12:39 AM
AKs do not have a lower. They have a receiver.

gunnerman
03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
i'm not even sure my receiver is for a yugo after taking a took at it.

it's a vulcan mod v47...need some help

69Mach1
03-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Some Vulcan receivers were made for the Yugo stamped kits. Does you receiver have the trunnion bulges in the front?

gunnerman
03-02-2011, 12:07 AM
there's a bulge to the upper left of the mag well. is that what you are referring to?

69Mach1
03-02-2011, 12:09 AM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/yugo15mm.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/Picture001.jpg

gunnerman
03-02-2011, 12:18 AM
it looks similiar to the receiver above..here are some pics

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/gunner3011/IMG_0003.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/gunner3011/IMG_0002.jpg

Q
03-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Sell the vulcan and build it from a akbuilder flat. The trunnion bulges and the mag dimples are not as close to the original as the akbuilder ones.

gunnerman
03-02-2011, 12:45 AM
how much are vulcan receivers worth?

gunnerman
03-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Sell the vulcan and build it from a akbuilder flat. The trunnion bulges and the mag dimples are not as close to the original as the akbuilder ones.

which flat should I buy for a yugo parts kit? I plan to convert an m70ab2 underfolder kit into a fixed stock. i'm assuming i'd have to buy the Yugo M70 1.5mm Yugo Fixed Stock Flat...