PDA

View Full Version : buying AR barrel from private party

japps
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
So I found a good deal on a "new, never fired" Noveske N4 barrel (16") ~$300. This is a private party sale and he lives in a different state (so I can't go in person and inspect). Is there anything I can have him take a picture of to assure that it's in new condition? The profile picture looks like a Noveske barrel, but how do I know? Maybe a pic of the rollmark? Or am I being too paranoid?

Omega13device
02-23-2011, 1:13 PM
Have him take a picture of the barrel markings and then post it here.

It's hard to tell if a barrel is unfired from pictures, unless it's clearly dirty or you can see obvious wear marks or tool marks on the outside from mounting a gas block and muzzle device. Is this a stripped barrel or does it include the FSB, gas tube and barrel nut?

japps
02-23-2011, 1:25 PM
it's stripped. he said he stripped an N4 upper and was going to build a short stroke piston upper, then changed his mind. I guess the FSB and gas tube are inluded. It's not the best deal I've heard of, but finding Noveske N4's is somewhat rare...and for $300 it's not a bad deal. And I know some of this falls under "buyer beware"

1911su16b870
02-23-2011, 1:39 PM
Check out Rainier Arms selection of White Oak barrels!

killshot44
02-23-2011, 1:46 PM
Check out Rainier Arms selection of White Oak barrels!

Just go direct to White Oak Armament.

japps
02-23-2011, 2:04 PM
I didn't want a SS barrel.

Blood Ocean
02-23-2011, 2:26 PM
Buyer beware, he may send you pictures of a noveske barrel and then ship you a POS, what is your recourse then? if it's high end anything I like to have it in hand for inspection before sending payment. If you are buying a ferrari would you buy it across state lines and take his word for it? A noveske barrel is a ferrari in the AR world...

japps
02-23-2011, 6:25 PM
True...he might bait & switch. But tons of people buy parts in the market section much more expensive that $300. I'm not really concerned that it was sold as a Noveske, but will show up a Del-Ton...I'm more concerned about the "never been fired" claim and how I would be able to tell. Even if I was holding the barrel I don't know how to tell approximate use. I'm new to the AR scene. A well cleaned barrel with 4000 rounds vs a new barrel...anything that would clue me in?

Hump0311
02-23-2011, 6:29 PM
http://theofficialcontractor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/spidey-sense.jpeg

It's up to you. My suggestion is be patient. Don't ever rush to sell or buy something if you don't get a 100% feel good about it.

I would hate to hear about you getting ripped off.

1911su16b870
02-23-2011, 7:22 PM
Just go direct to White Oak Armament.

Agreed if they have the barrel in stock...they move them pretty fast some times and I've gotten them from Rainer's shelf when WOA didn't have any to send me...

Omega13device
02-23-2011, 7:51 PM
It's a chrome-lined CHF barrel. Nothing particularly magical about it. Just call it a day and get an equivalent one brand new from Daniel Defense or BCM. Not sure why you're bothering with all the angst when alternatives are out there.

morfeeis
02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
all i can say is pay with a credit card/debit card that way if he try's any funny stuff all you do is call your bank and do a charge back....

bender152
02-23-2011, 10:47 PM
So I found a good deal on a "new, never fired" Noveske N4 barrel (16") ~$300. This is a private party sale and he lives in a different state (so I can't go in person and inspect). Is there anything I can have him take a picture of to assure that it's in new condition? The profile picture looks like a Noveske barrel, but how do I know? Maybe a pic of the rollmark? Or am I being too paranoid?

The seller has 19 posts and 0 feedback. Personally, I wouldn't buy it, but that's your call.

japps
02-24-2011, 6:17 AM
thanks Bender. good point. Although I have traded some emails and the guy seems legit.

but the original question still applies...how can I tell wear on a barrel? Is there some gage that someone can check to see approximate wear, or is it someone can only tell if it's either new or totally burnt out?

vintagearms
02-24-2011, 7:09 AM
Have him take pix of the rollmark and pix of the crown and barrel extention. Also, see if you can ask him more info on where he got that barrel...can provide receipt, etc.
I wouldn't be so concerned about round count....Also, do you have a link to the add?

japps
02-24-2011, 7:33 AM
yeah, the add is on AR15.com:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=843210

vintagearms
02-24-2011, 8:51 AM
yeah, the add is on AR15.com:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=843210

Been there since 08 and has a post count of 22 with no buyer/seller feedback. Hmm... I think in that case, I would personally take a pass. I got my Noveske N4 from MSTN http://www.mstn.biz/ you might see if they have any available. Usually though, they are for complete builds. Not many were ever sold barrel only.

bender152
02-24-2011, 9:16 AM
how can I tell wear on a barrel?

You won't be able to know just by looking at it.

With the right tools, you can have the barrel examine, but the seller won't be able to do this himself.

I wouldn't be too worried about this, though. If the barrel were really shot out (tens of thousands of rounds), it would show quite a bit of noticable wear.

In addition, barrels and bolts are test fired by the manufacturer prior to sale. So even brand new, these things will have some wear. (Brand new LMT BCGs look like they've been shot 100 rounds!)

japps
02-24-2011, 9:57 AM
Noveske is actually starting to sell the N4 'barrels only'...Rainier has them listed (though 14.5" carbine) and when I talked to Rainier they said that twice a year Noveske has overruns and will sell barrels only. still rare though and Rainier is currently out. And I am trying to not get caught up in the Noveske hype...

evidens83
02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Personally, I would never deal with private parties from out-of-state. Low post count and zero feedback should be a hint.

Omega13device
02-24-2011, 2:11 PM
Japps here you go, brand new Daniel Defense 16" lightweight CHF midlength barrel with FSB for $293: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDD10143&name=Daniel+Defense+16%22+5.56mm+Lightweight+Mid-length+CHF+Barrel+-+w/FSB&groupid=151

shadow65
02-24-2011, 2:44 PM
Low post, 0 feed back. Takes your chances.
Then again, I was in the same boat here.
What I do is provide feed back links from other web sites if I am new to a forum.